Jump to content
April

Alchemical Problems IC RPG thread

Recommended Posts

Yorik smiled as he watched Astrid begin the climb ahead of him.  He'd suspected that she'd be unable to resist the challenge of the mountain.  She had ascension gear integrated into her armor after all.  Dr. Andunie may have spent plenty of time in dusty and ancient libraries but he could also tell by her lithe body, athletic grace, and confidence finding handholds and crevices as she scaled the wall that she was an experienced climber. 

He followed up behind Astrid for quite a while admiring her assets and agility even as he struggled not to fall too far behind her.  He quickly realized that he'd eventually have to backtrack because he needed to find a different line up the mountain better suited to his experience.

Climbing Check to scale the mountain
Results

1eP+2eA+1eB+3eD: 0 successes, 2 advantage [1eP=A] [2eA=S/A, A] [1eB=A/A] [3eD=Th, F/Th, Th]
p-a.pnga-s-a.pnga-a.pngb-a-a.pngd-th.pngd-f-th.pngd-th.png

 

Still, it was nice to climb up behind Astrid and just stay in their moment.

"What a view!  Breathtaking..." Yorik chuckled and quickly looked down and out over the valley as Astrid gazed behind her to see what he was talking about.  

The mountain still loomed over them but they'd climbed a significant height to where they had a magnificent view of the village below them, the valley, the library, and even the lake at the other end of the valley.

Given the clarity of the air despite the winds and clouds they could see for miles in every direction.

Yorik called out, "Doc,  I think I took the wrong line up here.   I'm afraid I'm going to have to backtrack a while and then try coming up again.  I'll meet you up top!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Climbing Check to scale the mountain with Advantage
Results

2eA+1eP+2eB+3eD: 0 successes, 1 advantage [2eA=-, S/A] [1eP=S] [2eB=-, A] [3eD=-, F, F/Th]
a--.pnga-s-a.pngp-s.pngb--.pngb-a.pngd--.pngd-f.pngd-f-th.png

 

 

"If at first you don't succeed, try and try again..."

Yorik sighed after reaching another dead end.  So much for trying to stay relatively close to Astrid's ascent.  She was nearly two thirds up and would be at the top already by the time he returned to the bottom again.

He smiled sheepishly at the hunters once again after making his descent.

"Glad I don't get embarrassed too easily or this would've been a little humiliating.  Third time's the charm, right?"

"Ok, Focus.... One step, One handhold at a time.  No distractions.  No other people nobody but you and this mountain, Yorik. 

"Ok, mountain.  Let's be friends."

3rd try- Climbing Check to scale the mountain with Advantage
Results 2eA+1eP+2eB+3eD: 2 successes, 6 advantage [2eA=A, S/A] [1eP=A] [2eB=A/A, S/A] [3eD=-, -, -]
a-a.pnga-s-a.pngp-a.pngb-a-a.pngb-s-a.pngd--.pngd--.pngd--.png
Edited by Cartergame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cartergame said:

"What a view!  Breathtaking..." Yorik chuckled and quickly looked down and out over the valley as Astrid gazed behind her to see what he was talking about.

Yup. Still got it. But he should probably focus a bit more on his route finding... 

When Yorik finally mantles onto the cave ledge, Astrid is sitting there waiting. Way to persist! Just climbing the rope would have been demanding, but pretty much a sure thing. Climbing the rock most assuredly offered you a more rewarding challenge. I must admit I'm jealous- you managed almost three times as much climbing as I did! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

Worried, she looks down.

...only to see it stop with a jerk, just below her, suspended in midair. Far below, she sees Durrak reaching up toward the dislodged rock, and begin lowering it gently to the ground. Thanks, Duarrak. I suspected you might have had an alternate method of reaching the cave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Most impressive, Durrak"  Yorik huffed in between breaths after finally reaching the cave entrance.  He looked at Durrak and then Astrid and smiled at her joke even as he tried to catch his breath.  Then, he turned back to Durrak.

"The whole levitation thing...  Wow...."*gasping for air* "I mean... I knew there was something there with the boomerang diskblade thing...

*Deeply Inhaling and exhaling*

" ...and how it seemed to defy the laws of physics.  But, I had no idea...  very cool... Seeing you levitate like that... straight up the cliff face... That was... totally badass, man..." *huff*

"Stairs... stairs would be a good test.  Maybe a thousand of them.... Or a steep incline.  But this?  Yeah, the Ancient stays up here because it's too hard to get up and down easily.... oh, yeah... the airlift. Makes sense..."

Yorik sat down on the edge of the cliff and took a minute to catch his breath while enjoying the view.  

The time it took him to get up to the cave entrance had given Astrid and Curran plenty of time to discuss possible strategies and tactics regarding the Sith ship as well as their best approach with meeting the Ancient One.

(I'm hoping to give the *6 Advantage* I rolled toward benefiting our meeting with the Ancient One & put it toward whatever test this may have been...)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, April said:

" Eh I don't see why not! Free hooch is free hooch  right!" He stands and is over a meter taller than you. 

 

You notice the Sith lady arrive and she waggles her antenna in greeting  to both Worra, and Bennar. She is unnamed but has a med splint covering her arm.

Of course free is always great, allow me to go and greet a friend I haven't seen in a while. Seems like this world is quite the tourist traction. Our ship is in the landing bay in that direction; you can't miss it. I won't be more than five or ten minutes behind you.

 

Heading over to speak with the Sith, How is that arm doing? I've been reading up on your species from whatever Astrid can supply me with. I believe I could mend that arm better than the short term fix that we did last time if you wanted me to have another look. We've also installed a Bacta Tank in the ship which would greatly help, though from what I've read by this point your arm might just need some time to be back to normal. Also, not sure if you would be up to a little action, but it looks like Worra might need some help and I have another person on the way to our ship that may be a handful to bring in. Bennar gives her a chance to respond, and then motions that he will head over to back Worra up. He doesn't make his friendship with Worra know right away, but isclose enough to step in if he gives a signal. (Not sure if the Sith will join me, probably depends how that arm is doing.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cartergame said:

"Most impressive, Durrak"

Yes, Nice catch, Durrak. I try to test suspect holds, before committing to them, but I could not progress by static movement. Fluid movements and trusting in technique work well for me, but I just couldn't quite get to it. Thank you.

It's those quiet ones you have to watch out for, you know. Glad to have you on our team, Durrak. There is some serious power lurking beneath that reserved exterior.

And speaking of power... Your forearms are still ripped from that climb, Yorik. Look like you could pull the ears off a Gundark! 

Astrid takes out the scope from her Lancer, and has a look around from their new vantage.

 

8 hours ago, TheGuardian118 said:

Also, not sure if you would be up to a little action

Bennar must have accidentally left his comlink activated.. Sounds like he's hitting on our Sith Lady friend, again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 9:41 AM, Cartergame said:

 

"Bah Weep Grana Weep Nini Bon, friends!  We seek an audience with the Ancient One and we hope you'll be willing to point the way..."

 

(guilty or innocent? INNOCENT! Feed him to the sharkticons (el blanco?))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cartergame said:

Hey, Durrak, didn't you use the Force to levitate the entire way?  :-)

That's not how the Force works !

 

3eA+2eD: 1 success, 1 threat [3eA=A, S/S, -] [2eD=Th, F/Th]
a-a.pnga-s-s.pnga--.pngd-th.pngd-f-th.png

 

Durrak tries again with better results (I will take one strain) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nicely done, Durrak. Sometimes the greatest tests are when you test yourself, even when it is not necessary. I'm proud of you both. For persevering outside of your comfort zones, despite the easier options readily available.

Now about this cave..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With most of the party on the Ledge before the cave.. you see it has a rather Odd looking entrance,  You see three people caring books out and head towards the grav Elevator.

a cloud appears outside and forms the words "Please, Enter We have Much To discuss "

14 hours ago, TheShard said:

 

(guilty or innocent? INNOCENT! Feed him to the sharkticons (el blanco?))

(actually the names from Tremors the TV series )

 

On 7/9/2017 at 3:54 AM, TheGuardian118 said:

Of course free is always great, allow me to go and greet a friend I haven't seen in a while. Seems like this world is quite the tourist traction. Our ship is in the landing bay in that direction; you can't miss it. I won't be more than five or ten minutes behind you.

 

Heading over to speak with the Sith, How is that arm doing? I've been reading up on your species from whatever Astrid can supply me with. I believe I could mend that arm better than the short term fix that we did last time if you wanted me to have another look. We've also installed a Bacta Tank in the ship which would greatly help, though from what I've read by this point your arm might just need some time to be back to normal. Also, not sure if you would be up to a little action, but it looks like Worra might need some help and I have another person on the way to our ship that may be a handful to bring in. Bennar gives her a chance to respond, and then motions that he will head over to back Worra up. He doesn't make his friendship with Worra know right away, but isclose enough to step in if he gives a signal. (Not sure if the Sith will join me, probably depends how that arm is doing.)

The sith lady says " I Will aid you." she seems to avoid talking about her injury. Her culture normally dissects the injured and feeds them to Larvae  

she waves her hand and compels him to go sit in the makeshift cage within the Hind " We have little time to waste "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zyi walks around the village hanging back from the group. The "test" had rattled him a little, and walking amongst the inhabitants alone provided him time to sort things out. 

Why does all this tranquility bother me so much, it's a frell'n cliche of happiness! I'm more on edge here then wading around in floating eyeballs and bloody gutsy stew... While someone is trying to cut my tongue out! ....wow... That's really kriffed up... I'm a mess. But the danger you don't see coming is usually the one that gets you. Can this all be real, can I really take this at face value? I mean it all seems straight out of of those inspirational posters you see in those core world doctors offices. 

A beep and an impatient vibration from his backpack break his reverie. 

Alright, alright!

He lifts the lid and Aye floats out wanting to see whats all the fuss had been about. It floats along shoulder level taking it all in.

After a while he sees his teammates up ahead at the base of a sheer rock face. He stops his meandering and his stride quickens. 

By the time he reaches the bottom he sees Astrid, Yorrik and Durrak in mid ascent. He chuckles as the two warriors are out paced by Astrid's obviously more experienced skill.

It's a beautiful day, and his mind settles a bit as he watches. Meditating on the interplay of rock and sunlight.

Once they have gotten far enough up where he has to strain to see, he shakes his head in wonder and makes his way to the nearest lift. Aye floats up the rock face and chirps encouragingly to Yorrik. The big soldier struggling a bit to plot a course, Aye buzzing around his head urging him forward.

 

 

Edited by TheShard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheShard said:

Zyi walks around the village hanging back from the group. The "test" had rattled him a little, and walking amongst the inhabitants alone provided him time to sort things out. 

Why does all this tranquility bother me so much, it's a frell'n cliche of happiness! I'm more on edge here then wading around in floating eyeballs and bloody gutsy stew... While someone is trying to cut my tongue out! ....wow... That's really kriffed up... I'm a mess. But the danger you don't see coming is usually the one that gets you. Can this all be real, can I really take this at face value? I mean it all seems straight out of of those inspirational posters you see in those core world doctors offices. 

A beep and an impatient vibration from his backpack break his reverie. 

Alright, alright!

He lifts the lid and Aye floats out wanting to see whats all the fuss had been about. It floats along shoulder level taking it all in.

After a while he sees his teammates up ahead at the base of a sheer rock face. He stops his meandering and his stride quickens. 

By the time he reaches the bottom he sees Astrid, Yorrik and Durrak in mid ascent. He chuckles as the two warriors are out paced by Astrid's obviously more experienced skill.

It's a beautiful day, and his mind settles a bit as he watches. Meditating on the interplay of rock and sunlight.

Once they have gotten far enough up where he has to strain to see, he shakes his head in wonder and makes his way to the nearest lift. Aye floats up the rock face and chirps encouragingly to Yorrik. The big soldier struggling a bit to plot a course, Aye buzzing around his head urging him forward.

 

 

you notice the odd look as the robot travels about, Some have come here to escape technology.. they say nothing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing the words appear in the clouds and welcoming Shard, "You made it just in time!", Yorik did his best to recover his breath and composure quickly and gestured for the others to head inside.  He followed along beside them as made their way into the cave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marshal, Medic. We're going in. Catch up when you can. I'll leave Spy-D at the mouth of the cave, as a comlink relay, to prolong communications capability... but not sure how effective that will be, once we're into the cave, proper.

Besides, I promised my scout some exploration. Addressing the droid: Spy-D. Once the others reach the ledge, catch up, or explore as you see fit.

Zyi steps from the lift, and Astrid is again reminded of his difficult past. No core world university outdoor clubs for him... his life has been quite hard enough without contriving such tests for himself.

Ah, so the lift does work?! Glad you could join us. Shall we? Astrid delves deeper into the cave with her companions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had barely ventured beyond the entrance when Spy-D chirps in on Astrid's com. 

Hold up, fellas. Message was kinda garbled, but Bennar and Worra seem to be on their way, presently. May as well wait back at the mouth and enjoy the day for a few more minutes. Especially since Yorik carried the brews all the way up that cliff for us. Three times, no less. I almost felt bad for the poor guy, but he's in training...

Leaning in close to Yorik, Astrid unclips the pouches she had affixed to his gear while fiddling with his harness earlier. Producing two Eblas from each, she distributes them and opens her own, as she strides back to the ledge. Finding a comfortably flat section of rock to sit on, she dangles her feet as she drinks in the view, along with her ale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yorik was pleasantly caught off guard by the close readjustment and removal of the climbing harness and pouches.  "What the--?  Doc, you give the best surprises!"  Yorik grinned and toasted her before he joined Astrid on the ledge in admiring the view.

"Shard, come hang out with us, buddy and let's enjoy a moment where we're not actually in terror of losing our lives!"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:43 AM, Edgehawk said:

Marshal, Medic. We're going in. Catch up when you can. I'll leave Spy-D at the mouth of the cave, as a comlink relay, to prolong communications capability... but not sure how effective that will be, once we're into the cave, proper.

Bennar whispers into his comlink, Acknowledged. On the way.

To the Sith he says, Worra seems to have a handle on this situation. Let's meet up with the others. Heading to the cliff face was relatively uneventful, but once he got there he saw the potential climb ahead. Hmmm, this might be a little complicated for you with one arm. Any ideas on how you want to get up there? Actually, (into the comlink again) Hey Astrid and Yorik, you guys have any kind of harness that would be long enough to help our Sith friend climb up? Her arm is still mending and a one arm climb with no assistance here seems like it would be mighty difficult. If you have two or we have time for the second trip I wouldn't mind help either. It's been a little while since I've climbed a cliff like this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

I can lower a makeshift harness, and provide a top belay. Our Sith friend can probably climb better than any of us, even on the mend, but I'll rig an adjustable harness for her as well. Also, there is a lift... 

Ah, sometimes the obvious answer is the best. I assumed because of all the chatter about climbing the lift was broken or there was a reason for the climb. I definitely don't mind trying the climb, but if the lift works and we need to be ready to go exploring in a big cave maybe that's the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what to think. I feel like I've been drawn here. But I do not know to what end, or by whom? Or by what? Hope to find some more answers in this cave.

I'm only slightly less cynical than you are, though, so the vibe here does creep me out a bit.

How about you, Yorik? Ready to retire on this Sanctuary, in the shadow of the Ancient One?

Edited by Edgehawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...