Sign in to follow this  
Norell

Your most humilitating Armada experience?

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels sometimes so humiliated as I'm now. I convinced my dear wife to play a training game with me in preparation to the local tournament. I brought my well-thought, carefully balanced fleet while she got one of my simple MSU fleets. She doesn't even know all the rules and doesn't have the patience to think about the combination of the cards either. Long story short, by the time of turn 4 I was tabled without shooting down anything. Needless to say I retired from the tournament immediately.

Now, what's YOUR story of utter humiliation? :)

Lost by exactly one point last night. Not humiliating exactly, but my decision not to move my Gozanti to safety is annoying. It was a Corellian Conflict game and I was hoping to build a base there. It was the last round of the game and I chose to make some long range attacks at the back of an ISDII despite needing at least two double hit results to have even a chance at killing it. I could have moved my flotilla to be out of the front arc and won, and it turns out the ISD would still have been in range after moving. 

On the other hand I completely tabled the opposing list last week so I guess it's all good. 

Went into a regionals fleet with an Imperial heavy ship list and chose Superior Positions. My opponent, with a ton of YT-2400s, racked up enough points through rear attacks to double my list in points. He also slow-played to the point of cheating, but still won the round, forcing me to have a bye at a tournament we drove an hour to get to, with $25 admission.

I chose Superior positions again for some reason in the third round, nearly the same thing happened, and I ended up in last place. I thought I was better than that. If I wasn't so invested in the game, I would have quit Armada.

14 minutes ago, Hockeyzombie said:

Lost by exactly one point last night. Not humiliating exactly, but my decision not to move my Gozanti to safety is annoying. It was a Corellian Conflict game and I was hoping to build a base there. It was the last round of the game and I chose to make some long range attacks at the back of an ISDII despite needing at least two double hit results to have even a chance at killing it. I could have moved my flotilla to be out of the front arc and won, and it turns out the ISD would still have been in range after moving. 

On the other hand I completely tabled the opposing list last week so I guess it's all good. 

not necessarily an humiliation, but one day I was in a tournament playing against a very young kid who was shooting at my Jaina's light. I said it was a long range shot, a 2nd, neutral player said the same thing, but the kid was so annoyed by it that I decided to let him get a medium range shot, only to have jaina's light be destroyed in 1 salvo (ISD-2). Turns out I lost the match by a 2 point MOV. Then, I learned of the cardboard to cardboard rule and realized I was scammed a victory xD

1 hour ago, Norell said:

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels sometimes so humiliated as I'm now. I convinced my dear wife to play a training game with me in preparation to the local tournament. I brought my well-thought, carefully balanced fleet while she got one of my simple MSU fleets. She doesn't even know all the rules and doesn't have the patience to think about the combination of the cards either. Long story short, by the time of turn 4 I was tabled without shooting down anything. Needless to say I retired from the tournament immediately.

Now, what's YOUR story of utter humiliation? :)

The greatest swordsman in the world has more to fear from a total neophyte then the second best swordsman. Completely new players will operate outside the set of normal behaviors we expect and that can take us by surprise.

I've been spanked a few times but nothing stands out to me as worse then any other. They all burn. I guess losing to Clon just cuz there was a bunch of folks watching me get my ass handed to me.

20 minutes ago, Plagueis said:

Turning up an hour early after driving two hours to play Armada at a tournament to realise your a week earlier and it's xwing day just as you start to unpack your fleet.

ouch

I had an MC-80 with Ackbar, Defiance, and enhanced armament and if I had maneuvered right could have gotten him between two ISD's out of their front arc. I know I could have gotten at least two broadsides on both with eight red dice and two blue dice each salvo. Instead I didnt play aggressively and he used a gladiator to ram me down a speed allowing both ISDs and the Demolisher to hit me with their full front arcs for two rounds. 

My first time ever playing an MC30 swarm I started my attack run only to have my opponent drop all his ships to speed 0 unexpectedly just outside my range to wait for me to blow by. But then, because of both our trajectories and speed, despite both of us spamming nav commands to bring our fleets together, we made it round 6 in about 20 minutes without firing a shot. His squadrons killed one of my A-Wings, so he won with an 11 pt MOV with no shots being fired. Both of us felt pretty embarrassed. 

I messed up my deployment by a hair and tried to do a tight speed 2 "serpentine" shaped maneuver with an mc80 that just barely ended up ramming my own afmk2. Due to being allowed to overlap the tool to complete the move after the ram, the corner of my mc 80 ended up off the board... on turn one.

:D

Oh man I almost forgot that time I played 2 1/3 out of 3 games at nationals before remembering to use gunnery teams even once. Sleep deprivation played a role in that one though so its more funny than humiliating IMO.