Dr Lucky

Fully Operational - Engineer Source book Announced

Just now, EliasWindrider said:

And this morning my car battery was dead (I did NOT leave any lights on and it's a 2017 Honda crv, so at least it's still under warranty), and there is a long wait at the dealer's repair shop.  When it rains it pours and that fits with my week.

Well, I hate to be the bearer of worse news, but it's looking like we're getting no movement again this week.  So... sorry, Eli :( .

8 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

Well, I hate to be the bearer of worse news, but it's looking like we're getting no movement again this week.  So... sorry, Eli :( .

Given my week it's what I was expecting 

Edit: I'm not expecting my flgs to get dawn of rebellion this week either, and the way my week is going I'm expecting the star wars game on Sunday to get cancelled

Edited by EliasWindrider

FFG should really be telling us what is going on at this point. And i don't mean telling some person on the street. They should be on their own forums keeping their customer base informed on why everything is getting delayed into oblivion. There is no reason fully operational should be taking this long, and the "we should be so happy and thankful for any movement" line isn't good enough. Also at this point for how extremely delayed the books are we do have the right to complain about it. Not to mention 'newer' books in the production line are coming out first, which makes no sense at all, we should be expecting the knight book to release before fully operational and unlimited power with how things are going.

1 hour ago, Banditks said:

FFG should really be telling us what is going on at this point. And i don't mean telling some person on the street. They should be on their own forums keeping their customer base informed on why everything is getting delayed into oblivion. There is no reason fully operational should be taking this long, and the "we should be so happy and thankful for any movement" line isn't good enough. Also at this point for how extremely delayed the books are we do have the right to complain about it. Not to mention 'newer' books in the production line are coming out first, which makes no sense at all, we should be expecting the knight book to release before fully operational and unlimited power with how things are going.

They should have told us something back in the summer. They don’t care. They have the rights to Star Wars and no one else does. They have a product we have to buy if we want to play, and it’s a fairly good product, even if it’s maker is the worst company for communicating with customers and delivering on deadlines. Sadly, we have no power and they know it. 

1 hour ago, Banditks said:

19 minutes ago, Khazadune said:

They should have told us something back in the summer. They don’t care. They have the rights to Star Wars and no one else does. They have a product we have to buy if we want to play, and it’s a fairly good product, even if it’s maker is the worst company for communicating with customers and delivering on deadlines. Sadly, we have no power and they know it. 

You guys make it sound like FFG is intentionally jerking you around but my sense is that they are just as frustrated by these delays (and their inability to comment on them).  A lot of this is just the reality of dealing with the Star Wars license - FFG's other products get delayed too sometimes, but none like the Star Wars products.  The sense I've gotten from casual (off-the-record) comments and the like is that most of the long delays with Star Wars (AWOL shipping container and port issues notwithstanding) have been the result of delays on approvals by Lucas Film Licensing.  Because everything has to be reviewed and coordinated with LFL to a ridiculous degree, FFG is often at their mercy on when an announcement, update, or release can actually happen.  By all accounts, the huge delays between cycles on the Star Wars LCG (that seriously killed its momentum early on) were the fault of LFL, as were many of the delays with X-Wing product and rules errata/FAQs for all the Star Wars games.

FFG got the Star Wars license before the Disney acquisition.  By all accounts, LFL used to be pretty cool to work with.  However, since the Disney acquisition and the launch of the new films and new canon, it sounds like LFL has been told to keep a tighter handle on things while simultaneously dealing with an exponentially increasing number of products from across their various licensees.  Because they need to do more careful scrutiny of more products, it isn't surprising that there are bottlenecks, and the priority usually seems to be the next film.  When LFL looks at the next RPG book, or the new Imperial Assault FAQ, or whatever else FFG sends them and sees that it isn't tied to the merchandising blitz for Solo, it gets pushed to the back of the pile.

This all sucks, but I don't pin much of it on FFG.  My understanding is that even the news articles for the Star Wars products need to be approved by LFL.  If the delays are coming from LFL, what is FFG supposed to do?  Write a news post apologizing for the delays and send it to LFL for approval with hopes that they can publish it in time for it to be relevant?  The approvals already take so long that the release dates are rarely accurate by the time article approval is done.

At the end of the day, I am a patient person who loves these games.  Sure, the delays stink, but I don't know that going all torch and pitchfork about them will change anything.

10 minutes ago, Dr Lucky said:

You guys make it sound like FFG is intentionally jerking you around but my sense is that they are just as frustrated by these delays (and their inability to comment on them).  A lot of this is just the reality of dealing with the Star Wars license - FFG's other products get delayed too sometimes, but none like the Star Wars products.  The sense I've gotten from casual (off-the-record) comments and the like is that most of the long delays with Star Wars (AWOL shipping container and port issues notwithstanding) have been the result of delays on approvals by Lucas Film Licensing.  Because everything has to be reviewed and coordinated with LFL to a ridiculous degree, FFG is often at their mercy on when an announcement, update, or release can actually happen.  By all accounts, the huge delays between cycles on the Star Wars LCG (that seriously killed its momentum early on) were the fault of LFL, as were many of the delays with X-Wing product and rules errata/FAQs for all the Star Wars games.

FFG got the Star Wars license before the Disney acquisition.  By all accounts, LFL used to be pretty cool to work with.  However, since the Disney acquisition and the launch of the new films and new canon, it sounds like LFL has been told to keep a tighter handle on things while simultaneously dealing with an exponentially increasing number of products from across their various licensees.  Because they need to do more careful scrutiny of more products, it isn't surprising that there are bottlenecks, and the priority usually seems to be the next film.  When LFL looks at the next RPG book, or the new Imperial Assault FAQ, or whatever else FFG sends them and sees that it isn't tied to the merchandising blitz for Solo, it gets pushed to the back of the pile.

This all sucks, but I don't pin much of it on FFG.  My understanding is that even the news articles for the Star Wars products need to be approved by LFL.  If the delays are coming from LFL, what is FFG supposed to do?  Write a news post apologizing for the delays and send it to LFL for approval with hopes that they can publish it in time for it to be relevant?  The approvals already take so long that the release dates are rarely accurate by the time article approval is done.

At the end of the day, I am a patient person who loves these games.  Sure, the delays stink, but I don't know that going all torch and pitchfork about them will change anything.

No where has this ever been stated. This is an assumption, as are all of the similar arguments regarding lack of communication. I don’t care to deal with assumptions, only realities. The reality is that this is a business that can’t deliver on its dates and has not communicated anything in the way of an apology or an update. If believing in assumptions makes your wait easier, good for you. I’ve waited a year and I’ve had it with the unreasonable delay and the lack of communication. Besides, as one poster pointed out, we have gotten Dawn from announced to delivered and FO has had no progress. This doesn’t even support your assumption. 

Very well said, Dr.  And for the most part, I agree: FFG does a marvelous job considering the weight of the restrictions LucasFilm saddles them with. 

However, keep in mind that the prints for Fully Operational (and the other books) had to have been approved before going to the printer.  Otherwise they run the risk of something needing to be changed after they paid for printing, and that's a huge waste of time and money, and FFG is smarter than that.  And since I know the guy who wrote the articles for all the current books with the exception of Unlimited Power, from what little he's told me I can deduce that most of the articles, including the release article,  are written before the book is announced.

Meaning that, even with massive delays in approval, by this point, unless the book has fallen off the boat AGAIN, we're not currently in an approval bottleneck.  So something else must be happening. 

7 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

And this morning my car battery was dead (I did NOT leave any lights on and it's a 2017 Honda crv, so at least it's still under warranty), and there is a long wait at the dealer's repair shop.  When it rains it pours and that fits with my week.

Hey. Same here... 2008 jeep grand Cherokee diesel and 1000 for an alterator. #fun

8 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Small bit of good news for me, my flgs did NOT get any shipments in today, so if they get a shipment tomorrow I have even odd of getting the book on the street date, normally their shipment comes 1 day too early for me to get the book and I get it 1 week -1 day = 6 days later than release date.

Also regarding "rain" I was be figurative, but we literally got rain today, and when you live in a dessert (Albuquerque gets 4 inches of precipitation in an average year but for the last few years we've been in a drought so we've gotten less than that) you're always happy when it literally rains.  So if my life gets figuratively rained on and we get some literal rain in the package deal, that's not too terrible.

BTW it was just a bad battery which was completely covered by the warranty, and they threw in a free car wash... just before it rained:D

No, i am not buying the "Its not FFG fault they are the victim of the mouse" They are a company that sell a product that was promised months ago and not delivered. Not just one product but a few, they should at the very least keep us informed with basic knowledge, if it was lost a sea or miss placed, its a simple fact and that should be passed on to us. If they are going to stagger the release 3 weeks or more between each book they should tell us. or if some other tragedy has fallen the product it doesn't hurt them at all to tell us. If its not them and some sort of shipping snafu or loss, then they can tell us safe in the knowledge that it was outside their control.

No we are not entitled to every single mini detail, miss printed letter, or the UPS guy tripped on the way to the warehouse sort of step by little step update. However they can and should inform us of large impact delays on this website and forum, some person saying "I went to the con and talked to a dude" if they can say it in public at a con they can post it up here on the forums to make it official. I have seen on reddit on here and other places, reasons ranging from hurricanes, lost a sea, pirates off the coast of Africa, Mouse delays, licensing, priorities shifting, Chinese new year, strikes in printing factories, and so on theses are just random people saying "I -know- what happened" or "I talked to a official rep of FFG" but not a single thing confirmed on this website or directly from this company on its many social media accounts about whats going on. If we just were told what -basically- was going on their wouldn't be so many annoyed people because we are left to guess on release at this point.

No i am not canceling my purchase, or demanding a refund, or going to never buy anything from FFG again. All i am asking for is an official rep not just a person on this forum, to tell us why there has been such a -massive- delay and why is the product moving slower than others like 'Dawn of the Rebellion' that's due out Tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, Banditks said:

No, i am not buying the "Its not FFG fault they are the victim of the mouse" They are a company that sell a product that was promised months ago and not delivered. Not just one product but a few, they should at the very least keep us informed with basic knowledge, if it was lost a sea or miss placed, its a simple fact and that should be passed on to us. If they are going to stagger the release 3 weeks or more between each book they should tell us. or if some other tragedy has fallen the product it doesn't hurt them at all to tell us. If its not them and some sort of shipping snafu or loss, then they can tell us safe in the knowledge that it was outside their control.

No we are not entitled to every single mini detail, miss printed letter, or the UPS guy tripped on the way to the warehouse sort of step by little step update. However they can and should inform us of large impact delays on this website and forum, some person saying "I went to the con and talked to a dude" if they can say it in public at a con they can post it up here on the forums to make it official. I have seen on reddit on here and other places, reasons ranging from hurricanes, lost a sea, pirates off the coast of Africa, Mouse delays, licensing, priorities shifting, Chinese new year, strikes in printing factories, and so on theses are just random people saying "I -know- what happened" or "I talked to a official rep of FFG" but not a single thing confirmed on this website or directly from this company on its many social media accounts about whats going on. If we just were told what -basically- was going on their wouldn't be so many annoyed people because we are left to guess on release at this point.

No i am not canceling my purchase, or demanding a refund, or going to never buy anything from FFG again. All i am asking for is an official rep not just a person on this forum, to tell us why there has been such a -massive- delay and why is the product moving slower than others like 'Dawn of the Rebellion' that's due out Tomorrow.

I agree wholeheartedly. However we both know that's not going to happen even though there really is no need for the news blackout.

I do not like this:

"Regarding your recent order reference *********** , we regret to inform you that we have been notified by the distributor that 'FFGSWA47 - Age of Rebellion: Fully Operational' has an amended release date.

The updated release date from the suppliers is 29/06/2018"

Hopefully it just means that they don't know, and it could take months to hit the UK and be available elsewhere well before this.

5 hours ago, Darzil said:

I do not like this:

"Regarding your recent order reference *********** , we regret to inform you that we have been notified by the distributor that 'FFGSWA47 - Age of Rebellion: Fully Operational' has an amended release date.

Hopefully it just means that they don't know, and it could take months to hit the UK and be available elsewhere well before this.

That...well, June 29 is the last business day of quarter 2.  What often happens is that FFG tells distributors that a book will be available in a certain quarter, and the company gives the release date as the last day of that quarter.

So it almost certainly doesn't mean that the release date will be June 29.  What it DOES mean, however, is that FFG seems to have settled on a release time-line for FO, and that time-line puts it out in Q2.  Which means at minimum, a month more of waiting :( .

Edited by Absol197

16 hours ago, Darzil said:

I do not like this:

So... did you order it from a UK source or a USA source? That is kind of an important point to clarify.

But really... why the further delay over this book!?!?!?! I feel like it' getting GHOSTED on us

Edited by jayc007

10 minutes ago, jayc007 said:

So... did you order it from a UK source or a USA source? That is kind of an important point to clarify.

But really... why the further delay over this book!?!?!?! I feel like it' getting GHOSTED on us

Uk, though I agree that my mention of uk did not make that clear

On 21/02/2018 at 8:46 PM, Dr Lucky said:

A few points

Firstly approvals do significantly slow down releases, and the time it takes to approve, say, a coffee mug is obviously significantly less than an RPG book. How big a factor that is, no one outside Lucasfilm/Disney or FFG know.

However, that approval happens before the book goes to print. Period. No one is sending books to print that might then need a retraction, pulping and reprinting, so any delay from the approval process has nothing to do with the books currently 'on the boat'.

Secondly, having worked on a half-dozen licensed lines in the past, I'd be highly surprised, to the point of incredulity, if the tiniest mention (e.g. a forum post letting people know what was up with the products at present) required approval from a lawyer at Lucasfilm.

Press releases are not the same thing, but if that was the case, then there'd never have been any posts on any forum, or interviews on Order 66 from FFG staff etc.

It's more conceivable that FFG want to stagger releases so as not to launch 4 books in the same month and risk sales on those books, however:

A) That's down to their project management
B) That's down to their project management
C) That's down to their project management

Fully Operational was announced in March, Dawn of Rebellion in July (edit: And for completeness, Cyphers & Masks in July and Unlimited Power in September). Dawn is coming out before FO, and all went 'On the Boat' on the same day. Now, that could be because FO had problems during development, or FO's approval took longer (less likely given the content of DoR but not impossible), but none of that excuses that the last 12 months of SW RPGs have not been great and seen huge delays in books actually coming out, together with availability issues for those that are 'out'.

Edited by Evilref

Its nice that FFG can set a release day/time period, let that day come and go, and the months go by without saying an official word anywhere and nothing happen for it, no apologies, no explanation, or information. and there are people on here that are going to tell me we should be -thankful- that we get graced with anything at all from FFG. 'Big' Video game companies that deal in star wars and promise a product delivery time, then say nothing leading up to, on the day of or even weeks after the previously set release window would have serious repercussions.  Here we just have to shrug and tell them "thank you".

There is a reason I have not preordered it. And a reason I have stated I will NOT be buying any other ffg products till FO is IN MY HAND.

Although I am seriously considering not buying anything from them for as long as I have had to wait for FO to be released. That would mean they would get nothing for over a year (and counting) from me.

It sucks that I have to punish myself to punish them. But alas it seems the only way to get their attention is to interupt their income.

I already don't buy anything but the star wars RPG books. with this sort of lack of communication on even the most basic level gives me no incentive to get into any of the rest of their products.