Dr Lucky

Fully Operational - Engineer Source book Announced

On 12/25/2017 at 1:08 AM, EliasWindrider said:

While a theoretically good idea, it requires him knowing someone who lives in Detroit well enough that he trusts them enough to have his books shipped to them.  This is not guaranteed.  It also means the hassle of crossing the border to pick up a book and possibly (unlikely) paying tariffs when he crosses back with the book.

As mentioned there are businesses that provide a us address that are very useful

On 12/25/2017 at 9:15 AM, SEApocalypse said:

I would assume that canadians usually have passports, especially when living so close to the border.
Though  I might be wrong, my assumption is that only us-americans don't have passports. :)

Numerous Canadians don' have passports just like our southern brothers.

On 12/25/2017 at 0:33 PM, Khazadune said:

I do have a passport and indeed there is a company something like Detroit PO Box Inc or something or other, but I have not tried it yet, although I have considered it. It’s a shame to have to do this just for FFG when I routinely buy things in the US without nearly as high a tack on for delivery and shipping. I don’t get the difference between Paizo and FFG for example in this. 

Ideally, FFG would find a third party retailer in Canada to sell their works, like many other companies in the same business. 

I am closer to buffalo and make good use of a us address company. It works fantastic. Order your item shipped to your USA address then when it arrives either have them ship it on or make a quick trip south of the boarder and pick it up... just make sure to declare at the border and pay what little duty you need to pay.

Also, make sure you get set up and registered with the address first. And then just but the us addy in the ship to and your normal addy in the bill to.

When you register you should actually receive instructions on the correct usage of the us address... some give you a suite number that must be on the address while others basically a p.o. box number...

But all in all it is very useful and works great if you are using a reputable company. The one I use only charges a nominal fee per package so i make sure to have as fee packages as possible from one company. But you save in taxes and shipping so much...

I've even seen ppl ship a full set of winter tires and rims to their us address so it's not just for small stuff.

Can’t wait to see these shipbuilding rules. It’s supposed to be expensive, but ****, it probably should be... lol. We should have named this thread what are you gonna make? 

Well, what are you all thinking? 

I want to make a Firespray inspired craft. With overlapping chitinious plates (reinforced hull upgrade) and some upgraded comms and computer upgrades to reflect the my engineers Verpine background. 

77720629-A3B0-4F5D-BBA9-426BAD1F23C3.jpeg

29 minutes ago, lordannoyed said:

Where do you see that?  When I pull it up it says "Not available yet."

Go to the “Upcoming” section of FFG’s page. It shows the current status of everything in the pipeline.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Edited by Nytwyng

After reading all the pages in this thread,  I am very curious as to what are the "highly anticipated" ships that a lot of GMs would like to build with the new starship construction rules we will soon have access to. There is already a well developed index list of FFG SW RPG ships that are already stated out, I look forward to what designs that are "missing" will soon have numbers attached to images for everyone to share and enjoy. :) 

41 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Well I think it’d be fun to try to build the Arrowhead from Freemaker Adventures. :D

Never heard of this ship, you have a link I can read for more info? :)

On 1/10/2018 at 1:30 PM, Giorgio said:

After reading all the pages in this thread,  I am very curious as to what are the "highly anticipated" ships that a lot of GMs would like to build with the new starship construction rules we will soon have access to. There is already a well developed index list of FFG SW RPG ships that are already stated out, I look forward to what designs that are "missing" will soon have numbers attached to images for everyone to share and enjoy. :) 

I am going to work out stats for the Corellian Engineering Corporation VT-1300 Starfighter. The 2 man starfighter that was mistakenly blown up into the HWK-290 light freighter by Wizards of the Coast and continued by the folks at Fantasy Flight Games.

moldy_4.jpg

Edited by Dakkar98

2 hours ago, kaosoe said:

If LFL approved of the HW-290, then it is no mistake.

LFL has also, in the past, approved materials that, for example, indicated a length for Super Star Destroyers that is smaller than observed in ESB, because of a misunderstood note in other materials about the SSD.

Mistakes can be mistakes and still be considered correct. ;)

You are correct, and your example does not discount that the Moldy crow is an HWK-290.

In any case, it matters not to me. Exact dimensions and scrutinizing every detail of a fictional form of media is not a way in which I derive pleasure.

Edited by kaosoe

I am just looking forward to being able to create custom craft. How much detail we are going to be given is still yet to be seen. I just hope its a bit more flexible than the droid, armor, weapon crafting we have gotten so far. If they give enough detail we might even be able to fill the gaps in of interesting craft that FFG hasn't made official yet.

1 hour ago, Banditks said:

I am just looking forward to being able to create custom craft. How much detail we are going to be given is still yet to be seen. I just hope its a bit more flexible than the droid, armor, weapon crafting we have gotten so far. If they give enough detail we might even be able to fill the gaps in of interesting craft that FFG hasn't made official yet.

I want to create a ship that has the better stats of a raider corvette from friends like these and a consular cruiser from the AoR core book (where lower crew is better), looks like and is fluffed as a re-engineered and rebuilt consular cruiser that has a hyperspace capable shuttle/drop ship for the salon pod.

Edited by EliasWindrider

21 hours ago, Dakkar98 said:

I am going to work out stats for the Corellian Engineering Corporation VT-1300 Starfighter. The 2 man starfighter that was mistakenly blown up into the HWK-290 light freighter by Wizards of the Coast and continued by the folks at Fantasy Flight Games.

moldy_4.jpg

10 hours ago, kaosoe said:

If LFL approved of the HW-290, then it is no mistake.

8 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

LFL has also, in the past, approved materials that, for example, indicated a length for Super Star Destroyers that is smaller than observed in ESB, because of a misunderstood note in other materials about the SSD.

Mistakes can be mistakes and still be considered correct. ;)

I'm pretty sure that everything associated with kyle katarn, except what has been reintroduced since the Disney reset, is now non-canonical.  I am happy that most of the EU got wiped from "history" and into "legends" especially the vong.  Just because something was done intentionally at one point does not make it correct or changing/"fixing" it a mistake.   I think it was a deliberate change, i.e. done intentionally/for a purpose and it has been "officially" sanctioned which makes it correct until the decided to change it again.

1 minute ago, EliasWindrider said:

I'm pretty sure that everything associated with kyle katarn, except what has been reintroduced since the Disney reset, is now non-canonical.  I am happy that most of the EU got wiped from "history" and into "legends" especially the vong.  Just because something was done intentionally at one point does not make it correct or changing/"fixing" it a mistake.   I think it was a deliberate change, i.e. done intentionally/for a purpose and it has been "officially" sanctioned which makes it correct until the decided to change it again.

4 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

My major issue with the "HWK-290" is that FFG Created it for the X-wing miniatures game at the size that is was originally intended to be, a fighter. It is about the length of a Y-wing. But then for the RPG, they gave it a greater cargo capacity than ships more than twice or three times it's size.

It makes no sense to me that a fighter the length of a Y-wing can carry 4 people has a cargo capacity of 75 when a scout ship like the Jumpmaster-5000 can only carry 2 people and has a cargo capacity of only 30.

5a59965094f9f_HWK-290JumpMaster-5000comparison.thumb.jpg.ac3c64b7704e061157d27cacb1a97541.jpg

The interior space of the "HWK-290" ends where the top hatch is just aft of the cockpit. Beyond that there isn't even room to stand up, much less store cargo.

Here you can see Jan Ors sitting in the cockpit.

109664473_718afdfae4_o.gif.40ce290a54670d5d2b61f25058955323.gif

8 hours ago, Dakkar98 said:

My major issue with the "HWK-290" is that FFG Created it for the X-wing miniatures game at the size that is was originally intended to be, a fighter. It is about the length of a Y-wing. But then for the RPG, they gave it a greater cargo capacity than ships more than twice or three times it's size.

It makes no sense to me that a fighter the length of a Y-wing can carry 4 people has a cargo capacity of 75 when a scout ship like the Jumpmaster-5000 can only carry 2 people and has a cargo capacity of only 30.

5a59965094f9f_HWK-290JumpMaster-5000comparison.thumb.jpg.ac3c64b7704e061157d27cacb1a97541.jpg

The interior space of the "HWK-290" ends where the top hatch is just aft of the cockpit. Beyond that there isn't even room to stand up, much less store cargo.

Here you can see Jan Ors sitting in the cockpit.

109664473_718afdfae4_o.gif.40ce290a54670d5d2b61f25058955323.gif

There are a few things at play here,

1) the jump master is fairly inefficient in terms of internal space to vehicle footprint, only the red striped portion on the starboard side of the jump master mini can house people/gear and that looks to be smaller than the trunk of the hwk-290 miniature, so I'm not sure there's even an inconsistency there.

2) minis aren't guaranteed to be "to scale" e.g. the cr-90 mini is not to scale with an xwing mini, and I'd guess that there are other inconsistencies (besides the hwk-290, if it's even an inconsistency).

3) Darkforces, xwing, and the ffg star wars rpg are different games, and cross compatibility between different  games is not something you should really be expecting in my opnion.

4) to pic nits, I don't think that you should have used the word "created" in combination with ffg and the hwk 290, I believe the designation "hwk-290" originated with wotc.

But your mileage may vary and I'm not trying to dissuade you from using the fully operational ship building rules from making a vt-1300 fighter for your game, you should do what works best for your game, there's no compelling reason for anyone to adhere to the current canon if they don't want to.