PastrySandwich

Fav Playmat

Hands-down this paper mat from GF9.  It's expensive as a neoprene mat, scratches easily, is a fairly slick surface, but is assured to give your opponent a headache as they look at the hideous pattern and struggle so see obstacles and their ships.

space-station-game-mat.jpg

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Loved my grip mat for game play. Not so much for storage and transport. Jeff - how do you store yours? Mine has a bit of curl and it take a while to level out again. Tried painters tape to make it flat, but uh... DON'T! Peeled a bit.

FFG mats are slippery - but much easier to deal with in getting flat.

I keep my GripMat rolled, image-side out.  (So that any curl is against the table downward, rather than away from the table upward.)  Haven't had any issues.

I haven't found a mat yet that's good for transporting.  I'd love to see a set of 16 9"x9" interlocking tiles (or 18 6"x12"), stiff-backed with a neoprene playing surface.  That would be awesome.  If they came in a sturdy case, I'd pay literally $100 for this.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

I posted this in another thread:

On 6/28/2016 at 7:42 PM, Parakitor said:

Bad mat:

25921711480_a2a8d29b79_z.jpg

Good mat:

20814602502_26d8fae0e9_z.jpg

Better mat:

25592314123_aff6510e1c_z.jpg

(OK, so I still like playing on the HC&D Supplies mat even after picking up the Bespin mat. They're both good).

I really like the FFG mats because they're thinner than the HC&D supplies mat. I'm going to pick up my Starkiller Base Mat this week. So pumped!

EDIT: The middle mat is from HC&D supplies, and can be found here, among other places.

Edited by Parakitor
added link

30 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Hands-down this paper mat from GF9. 

Vinyl, right?  Worst mat I ever bought.  I've made some bad X-Wing mat choices (F.A.T. colorful asteroids was a bad choice, too, and expensive), but this one was the worst.

If anybody doesn't believe me, I have this one, another GF9 one, and two F.A.T. ones for sale, for much less than I paid ...

2 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Vinyl, right?  Worst mat I ever bought.  I've made some bad X-Wing mat choices (F.A.T. colorful asteroids was a bad choice, too, and expensive), but this one was the worst.

If anybody doesn't believe me, I have this one, another GF9 one, and two F.A.T. ones for sale, for much less than I paid ...

At a local tournament our TO tried to use that vinyl mat, and I talked him out of it. We ended up just marking off 3'x3' with string on a blank green felt mat. Way better than that GF9 mat.

53 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Hands-down this paper mat from GF9.  It's expensive as a neoprene mat, scratches easily, is a fairly slick surface, but is assured to give your opponent a headache as they look at the hideous pattern and struggle so see obstacles and their ships.

space-station-game-mat.jpg

Saw this mat and had to use it for one round at our local store's first tournament. Never saw it again. Don't think anyone missed it. Horrendous.

I don't think you can beat FFG mats. Very fond of my Starfield Playmat. I'd love to own the Starkiller/Bespin mats but if you've got one good one I can't justify buying another.

He says to himself, staring at a full cabinet of plastic space ships.

I very much like my Starkiller base, it's not as good looking as Ryan Farmer's, but it's tournament legal ;)

My favorite one is Endor/Deathstar II, but I'll be getting the Naboo mat which I guess is close enough, though with less green/blue planet visible.

I hate Hoth. It's even worse in person.

Here's yet another thumbs down for Gale Force 9 mats (scratch too easily; whole mat slides; cheap and feels cheap) and a thumbs up for both Bespin and Endor/DSII mats.

Starkiller is not as good in reality as either of the older mats, and is the wrong size! Too big.

Just from the pictures, I thought that I wouldn't like either Bespin or Endor as much as a simple starfield, but they look and play much better. The graphics aren't horribly bright and in the way, they just work well. Starkiller, in my opinion, doesn't.

7 hours ago, Bojanglez said:

I keep thinking of getting a custom mat made but can't decide on a design so default back to the starfield. I kind of like the simplicity of it.

X-Wing mats are definitely one of those things where less is more.  Nothing beats a black empty star field.

I really like the Starkiller Base mat, it looks cool and the ships really "pop" when flying on it since it's not very busy. I'll probably end up buying the inevitable Scarif mat they'll put out to pair up with it for epic games. I love FFG's mats.

Some others have mentioned that they like their Gripmats and I feel obligated to post my experience with them so that others can make a better informed decision than I did. 14 months ago I placed an order for 2 of their Gripmats on their website, which said they would be shipping out a new batch of them on January 11th (I placed the order on the 4th). I got them in the mail on March 6th. They were shipped folded up in a box and got creased so badly that they were permanently damaged and wouldn't lay flat, they were just as slick as playing on a table, there were streaks all over them, they were not 36x36(at least half an inch short along any side), and none of the edges were straight(all were curved inward). I emailed them about these problems and was told that they would fix the issue and send me corrected mats. That message was sent to me on March 12th, 2016. That was the last message that I got from them. I've sent multiple emails asking about my order and have gotten nothing but silence in return. Since then I've found out that these mats were part of a Kickstarter that finished in January 2014 and they still haven't fulfilled all of their backers' orders, yet they are still selling them on their website. In fact the ones that I ordered are currently being sold on their site as "on sale", which I find a little insulting. There was, and is currently, no mention of the the fact that they still have an unfinished Kickstarter for these mats, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered them in the first place. An expensive ($107.88) lesson to be sure, and hopefully this post will save someone else from making the same mistake.

tldr; If you are looking to buy a mat, and think the Gripmats mentioned here might be what you want, buyer beware! Go read the updates/comments on their Kickstarter page before you make a decision!

12 hours ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

I'll probably end up buying the inevitable Scarif mat they'll put out to pair up with it for epic games. I love FFG's mats.

I'd love a Scarif play mat with the shield gate or even better, a top down land mat with the citadel in the center.

12 hours ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

tldr; If you are looking to buy a mat, and think the Gripmats mentioned here might be what you want, buyer beware! Go read the updates/comments on their Kickstarter page before you make a decision!

FWIW, I have nothing to say regarding GripMat's Kickstarter or problems with customer service.  I bought my mat as "slightly marred" from their website, and got it quickly.

My opinion is based solely on the feel during play.  There's no mat I'd rather play on.