Gizlivadi

Habemus Race Across Harad Spoilers

57 minutes ago, PocketWraith said:

Yeah, but on the other hand, Song of Mocking.

Song of Mocking is certainly the easier solution, but if you are bringing Gloin with the goal of soaking up a bunch or treachery and spread damage, it's not so helpful.

It's also noteworthy that Vigilant Guard gives 2 additional hit points without using up a restricted slot, which can be valuable to Gloin in its own right.

Edited by Seastan

Song of Mocking is *way* cheaper/easier to set up than Mighty Warrior + Vigilant Guard.  However, Song of Mocking only lets you deflect damage from a single hero, while Vigilant Guard can cannibalize one point of damage from any character, anywhere, any number of times.  Getting +2 hp is also helpful.

I don't see the issue with Tribesman's art.  His arm is behind and above him.

i really hope this excessive delay is because they found a problem on one of the cards and had to get it reprinted.  (Settler)  Otherwise this delay makes little sense.  The chapter packs are usually pretty regularly spaced at one month.

1 hour ago, Otherworlder said:

The thing with Tribesman's art is not the size of the hand, but that he has no neck and no sense of the right shoulder, and his head is the size of his chest......

His neck is obscured by the cloak he's wearing. His right shoulder is also under the cloak and additionally, due to the angle, is partly obscured by his chin. I've no idea what you mean about the third one, his head is clearly narrower than his chest is.

I mean, I'm not amazed by the art, but I don't think it's that bad.

Edited by PocketWraith

Now 0/3 with my tier 2 Three Hunters deck.  It's no pushover for sure.

There are two quest decks, one for you and one for the orcs.  Only one encounter deck.  You really want to stay ahead of the orcs if you can which means lots of questing.  There are also certain times when you have to reveal an extra encounter card - not one per player - which obviously stresses the solo player more.  Really nice quest.  My only complaint is that there are a lot of rules on the different cards that interact and their effects are constantly changing depending on which stages the players or orcs are on.  Not an easy quest to play or win.

Yep, I concur with Bullroarer. This is a really tough quest, especially on 4-player. The fact that you cannot place more than 10 progress on the quest each round really keeps up the tension and makes the game feel like a race, no matter how good your deck is.

You can't win this quest the traditional way - that is, with good questing and enemy control. Those are still essential, but they're not quite enough to put you over the top. At the moment, I'm inclined to say that winning this quest requires quite a bit of luck, at least on 4 player. It's really unusual (at least, in the 2 games I've played so far) to see the Orcs put less than 10 progress on their stage each round.

You might think that Radagast's Cunning would be the key to winning this quest, but that effect only lasts "until the end of the [quest] phase", whereas the orcs place progress "at the end of the quest phase". Same goes for Secret Paths.

The best trick I can think of is to use encounter deck manipulation (Lore Denethor, Risk Some Light) to ensure that the Orcs don't place a few extra progress each round.

Edited by AstroSnail
To remove unintended formatting

We barely edged it out Monday with three players: Caldara.deck, Three Hunters, and The Deck You Want Your Friend To Play. The third to last turn was the make-or-break turn, when the Orcs finally caught up to us. A mad scramble to find enough non-lethal defenses while all suffering from dehydration.

Finally beat it 4-player. I used victory display manipulation with a 2-hero deck consisting of Spirit Merry and Lore Denethor. I decided that Harad Road was the encounter card that was most dangerous in a 4-player game, and used a first-turn Out of the Wild to remove one from the deck, and a turn-two Leave No Trace to remove the second one. Removed an Uruk Pursuer with None Returned, and avoided a second Uruk Pursuer with The Door is Closed! The Orcs only had 5 progress on stage 4D when we cleared River Harnen.

Overall, I'd say this support deck greatly enhanced our chances of success. Denethor frequently checked the encounter deck after questing but before the end of the quest phase (to try and minimize the amount of extra progress the Orcs made).

The other three decks were a Celeborn/Galadriel/Elrond Silvan deck, a Faramir/Bifur/Mablung Ent deck, and a Gloin/Erestor/Erkenbrand defense deck.

Wow what a quest.  This one ticks all the boxes.  Congratulations to the designer(s) and playtesters.  I think it's the hardest of the extended cycle so far, but I recognize that this one is extra hard for solo players.  If I am to nickpick - and it really is a nit pick - the quest is a bit too "fussy".  There are sooo many cards interacting with other cards.  Really hard to keep track of everything.  But I am starting to believe that is the price of progress and we will need to learn to live with it on harder quests.

Brilliant job all.  :thumb: