Sign in to follow this  
Usaretama

New Article: Protectors of the Realm

Link to the Article

I'm pretty stoked to see this information.  The painted model shots are of particular interest, but also just getting a better idea of what each unit can do in the melee.  It sounds like what we saw of the Rune Golems earlier was correct, in that they'll be really hard to move suddenly, but when you slam a line of them into an enemy formation, depending on how the tokens fall you'll be very glad you went to the effort.

Edited by Usaretama

My question is then : when we "roll" the runes at the beginning of the round (or battle, can't remember), the results of this "roll" describe what kind of wind of magic are blowing in the air of the battlefield ? I mean, the five tokens stay in game for reference  purpose and are not "discarded" when you use a "runic ability" or so ?

1 minute ago, Elrad said:

My question is then : when we "roll" the runes at the beginning of the round (or battle, can't remember), the results of this "roll" describe what kind of wind of magic are blowing in the air of the battlefield ? I mean, the five tokens stay in game for reference  purpose and are not "discarded" when you use a "runic ability" or so ?

Looks like it except you have to use the in-universe definition: neutral, stable, or unstable. For example, it's suddenly neutral with some slight instability.

Bp

It's "natural," not "neutral." Green runes apparently come from the life-and-death cycle of nature. Stable runes appear to be founded in magic with a sense of order and regularity. Unstable runes appear to represent energy that is more chaotic and unpredictable.

I think learning the names of the runes was my favorite part, but it was also cool that they threw in there the Soulstone Dynasty. I wonder if we'll learn more about that or if it will always be an obscure reference to the times before.

I love the clear shot of the runes, I'm going to start carving my custom rune tokens this weekend, perfect timing. I also loved the art, I'm going to throw the concept sketches in photoshop to color replace to test out my paint schemes.

1 hour ago, drkpnthr said:

I love the clear shot of the runes, I'm going to start carving my custom rune tokens this weekend, perfect timing. I also loved the art, I'm going to throw the concept sketches in photoshop to color replace to test out my paint schemes.

Do you do custom orders?

1 hour ago, Hijodecain said:

This week Daqan, next week Waikar, after that rules, and two weeks later the game. That's the end of the month.

And another lore article on the Daqan hopefully.

my question was more this :  when the golem uses his ability, asking him to check the availability of a certain type of runes on the table, do the runes stay in play ? I mean, is there an ability that will ask to discard a rune token ? In the core set I don't think, even if I'm not sure.

13 minutes ago, Elrad said:

my question was more this :  when the golem uses his ability, asking him to check the availability of a certain type of runes on the table, do the runes stay in play ? I mean, is there an ability that will ask to discard a rune token ? In the core set I don't think, even if I'm not sure.

At the start of each round the runes are cast and they are not expended. The only known exception is that when playing one specific objective the runes aren't recast every turn but the holder of the objective tokens can chose to recast a number of runes equal to how many tokens he currently posses.

Edited by Muz333

1 hour ago, Elrad said:

Ok thank you Muz. Oh and btw, how is it going with your driving licence ? :)

Yesterdays lesson went well and it felt like everything was finally clicking. I didn't even mess up on the big three lane roundabouts that have no painted lane markings. I only started about 2.5 weeks ago but my aim is to pass within a 6 week time-frame, the earlier the better for my new job as I can't rely on taxis forever.

4 minutes ago, Elrad said:

Taxis ? Wow, must cost something.

It's not an issue now as that will only be once the training finishes and I start travelling to the location I'll be working at. However, yeah, taxi's will start costing a fortune for the shifts starting too early or too late for the bus service.

I'm pretty confident I'll have a valid driving licence by then anyway. The salary is also twice what I was previously on, so even if I do end up having to pay for taxis for a few weeks I'll still end up better off than I was previously which more on topic means more money to sink into Runewars!

Edited by Muz333

I've been magnetizing my warmachine, infinity, guildball and Imperial assault into new storage method and it has made me want to play the game.  weird connection but yeah...I also can't wait to figure out how i'm going to magnetize the models to the movement tray...

I've been thinking about using some of the flexible magnetic sheeting and a thin layer of sheet steel. Put the steel on the bottom of each mini, cut out the bottom of each tray to add a piece of particle board or plasticard for support and glue magnetic sheet in each tray slot.

1 hour ago, drkpnthr said:

I've been thinking about using some of the flexible magnetic sheeting and a thin layer of sheet steel. Put the steel on the bottom of each mini, cut out the bottom of each tray to add a piece of particle board or plasticard for support and glue magnetic sheet in each tray slot.

I'm going to insert a rare earth magnet into the hole on the bottom of the base that the peg from the movement tray goes into and either put another REM on the tray or a small piece of metal in the tray...

Magnetic sheets don't offer the magnetic hold that I would feel comfortable using for storage...

40 minutes ago, DrCthulhu said:

I think a washer that fits in the tray might be a good option. Then just put a magnet or two on the base of the mini.

This may work though I'm not sure how much lift it will give outside of the tray...I'm going to experiment with a bunch of options and post about it with pictures here...the biggest flaw i see with a washer would be that if I a magnet in the center hole of the model and a washer centered in the tray the magnet will be in the hole of the washer...I have a guy that I ordered a bunch of sheets of metal from that are custom cut to fit in Gem trays for my storage I may see how expensive it will be to get some 24ga metal circle inserts cut...

14 hours ago, drkpnthr said:

Similarly glad to have them.

Already had some runes done up from what shots we have, but now I can get them dialed in a bit more precisely.

Have some bone tokens and a laser engraver ready to go.

7 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

Have some bone tokens and a laser engraver ready to go.

What use are the bone tokens out of curiosity?

Edited by Muz333

36 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

What use are the bone tokens out of curiosity?

PROS:
-Vaguely cool given the history of dice, runes, and bone as game randomizers and divination tools. (Perfect for the superstitious rollers among us)
-Denser and heavier than either cardboard or acrylic, "rolling" them is much more feasible than with a lighter material. Won't bounce out of a dicebox, for instance. This also makes them less prone to accidental interference, scattering, or un-intended flipping.
-Can be laser engraved (more easily than stone, the other dense material I'd default to. Not to say stone can't be engraved, but bone burns at about the same intensity as acrylic or wood meaning no adjustments need to be made)

CONS:
-Smells like a burning dog when engraving

Edited by Tvayumat