bageldrone

The last print? WTF FFG

16 minutes ago, dpb1298 said:

AND stores not fulfilling pre-orders to crack their own boxes for singles? Such business dishonesty in my opinion. I'm boycotting stores that sell overpriced boosters or crack packs for singles unless their have surplus stock.

We learned from a few other sources that stores were able to purchase stock designated for two separate sale avenues.  The first is the standard sale method - sell via pack or box.  The second avenue is that they were able to order product designated to be opened and sold as singles.  Based on what I have seen at one of my local stores I don't know how well this was being enforced.  One store manager mentioned to me early December that they may sell a few more boxes or they may crack them for singles.   There is just too much information we don't know that it is hard to know.  That being said for a lot of people it ended up with a crappy experience and a bad taste in the mouth.  

Completely agree about stores that are selling stock at more than MSRP - they go on the list for never making another purchase there. 

4 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Hard to find and expensive Lukes and vaders... It's the 90's again!  $_35.JPG?set_id=2

lol I wont lie I didn't have an issue with these. I was a squadron leader for decipher and ended up working for them. Yes original were hard to get but we ended with 5 forms of vader and 5 of luke. Two of them were even easy to get in the preconstructed battle packs.

I say to the other jump ship...I wave bye bye to you. The other who know how a CCG game is are looking forward to the new stuff coming. Most of you jumping ship, selling off, or what ever will probably be back here down the road complaining again you cant get so and so because you sold out your collection at the wrong time.

Wow, this is pretty bad.  I usually hang in the Armada Forums, so I hadn't really seen the wars going on here.

As someone who has been around CCGs for a long time, I have to say that the folks who are shrugging and saying, "This is how CCGs work, get over it" are being extremely disingenuous (or simply don't know what they are talking about).  Successful CCGs don't have the kinds of shortages that Destiny has.  Not even close.  Print runs are designed to let people get product, and for product to be on the shelves for some time after release.  The runs are 'limited' but only in the sense that they will eventually not be available.  No successful CCG sells out at every retailer in less than a month and that's it.  That is not sustainable.

On the flip side, people wanting this to be treated like an LCG have no concept of what a CCG is.  Furthermore, people who think that there shouldn't be a secondary market with high costed singles again have no concept of a CCG.  There will ALWAYS be 'chase rares' in a CCG.  There is supposed to be.  It's part of the fun of cracking packs.  When you open a pack and pull Darth Vader, it's a rush that makes you want to open more.  Plus, if you ever decide to get out of the game, that Darth Vader will help you get some money back.  It is almost an investment (though relying on CCG card values as a true investment practice is extremely poor money management).  The point is, they WANT YOU to open more packs, so you can find that chase card that you need to make your deck/collection complete.  Opening more packs is good for the company producing it.

Packs not being nearly available to open is not.  That's the crux of the problem here.  FFG under produced this first set.  There is no question about it, and no reasonable argument to be made to the contrary.  Does that mean they are running the game into the ground?  Of course not.  If it is well made, and in the future they make it a bit more accessible, it will be fine.  Those of us who have been around CCGs for a long time know that the big cards EVENTUALLY get reprinted (MtG's reserve list not withstanding).  Many cards get reprinted in the core sets over and over until there is an oversaturation of them.  I suspect that what they are learning with this initial release will mean more availability for future sets.  Between that, and individual card reprints moving forward, this issue will likely smooth out over time.

Remember, it is a new game, in a genre of games that FFG hasn't been a part of for some time.  Growing pains will happen.  But, they will get better.

4 hours ago, Xindell said:

As someone who has been around CCGs for a long time, I have to say that the folks who are shrugging and saying, "This is how CCGs work, get over it" are being extremely disingenuous (or simply don't know what they are talking about).  Successful CCGs don't have the kinds of shortages that Destiny has.  Not even close.  Print runs are designed to let people get product, and for product to be on the shelves for some time after release.  The runs are 'limited' but only in the sense that they will eventually not be available.  No successful CCG sells out at every retailer in less than a month and that's it. That is not sustainable.

Apparently you don't recall the Revised edition shortages a year or so after Magic came out.  Also, the ridiculous shortages at the launch of Pokemon, where demand dramatically outstripped supply.  It took Wizards a year plus to dig themselves out of that hole.

In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of a successful CCG that's ever launched that had plentiful supply at the start of the run.  It's certainly a nice problem for publishers to have, in any event.

Wizkids had the same issue with Dice Masters with their first set, Avengers vs X-Men.  It was hard to get boosters and starters.  I think the company wasn't sure of the sales for the product and went conservative with their stock.  I'm assuming FFG took an educated estimate on the sales of SW Destiny before their launch.  Obviously, they underestimated the demand.

Personally, I think FFG will adjust the supply based on the demand after the initial set.  Hopefully, this will solve the supply issues.  Hey Wizkids did it with Dice Masters.  Pretty sure FFG can do the same.

Overall, I think FFG gave a reasonable response on what to expect for the SW Destiny line in the future.  I don't understand why folks are concerned about not being able to get cards/dice in past sets after several years of the release unless you haven't invested in a collectible game before.  It's a collectible game and you have to go to the secondary market/trade to get past items generally.  

13 minutes ago, charmtrap said:

Apparently you don't recall the Revised edition shortages a year or so after Magic came out.  Also, the ridiculous shortages at the launch of Pokemon, where demand dramatically outstripped supply.  It took Wizards a year plus to dig themselves out of that hole.

In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of a successful CCG that's ever launched that had plentiful supply at the start of the run.  It's certainly a nice problem for publishers to have, in any event.

Or more recently, the Dice Masters debacle, which was eventually sorted but replaced with balance issues and a crazy release schedule no one could hope to keep up with, which killed off any interest in the game.

Also more recently, the Force of Will trainwreck, which was so hot in the US it couldn't stick on store shelves, but then was reprinted into oblivion, which, along with a couple mishandled sets, made it tank below sea level a year after the US release. To the point that distributors were sitting on several thousand units and resorted to drop in free booster boxes to orders just to get rid of the stuff from the warehouse. Which, incidentally, illustrates exactly why FFG should NOT print Awakenings to oblivion like some peole are suggesting - that has the potential to bury the game and make a serious dent on the corporate financials.

29 minutes ago, charmtrap said:

In fact, I remember Revised from Magic quite well, as I got into the game at that time.  I had absolutely no problem getting packs whenever I wanted for several months back then, so whatever shortages you are talking about must have been a local issue.   Your claim that it took a year to dig out of a hole proves the point.  No one is talking about a need for 'plentiful supply' right off the top here.  You will not be successful if you under produce to the level FFG has with Destiny.  It's great that they are going to do something about it with a 2nd print run, though I have a bad feeling it won't be nearly enough.  But going around saying, "Oh well, that's how CCGs are" when people are upset that there is zero product after such a ridiculously short time is condescending and untrue.  When a CCG is doing well (and most importantly, growing) there is significantly more product than what FFG has produced.  While it would certainly be a bad idea to 'print into oblivion,' it's also a bad idea to alienate people by under producing to the point that preorders are the only way to get product.  As I stated in my post, I suspect that will take what they learn here and improve as time goes forward.  However, people had every right to be upset with the current state of things.

1 hour ago, charmtrap said:

Well Magic was the first collectable (card)game ever. So they where still new to this thing.

1 hour ago, hey_yu said:

Wizkids had the same issue with Dice Masters with their first set, Avengers vs X-Men.  It was hard to get boosters and starters.  I think the company wasn't sure of the sales for the product and went conservative with their stock.  I'm assuming FFG took an educated estimate on the sales of SW Destiny before their launch.  Obviously, they underestimated the demand.

Personally, I think FFG will adjust the supply based on the demand after the initial set.  Hopefully, this will solve the supply issues.  Hey Wizkids did it with Dice Masters.  Pretty sure FFG can do the same.

Overall, I think FFG gave a reasonable response on what to expect for the SW Destiny line in the future.  I don't understand why folks are concerned about not being able to get cards/dice in past sets after several years of the release unless you haven't invested in a collectible game before.  It's a collectible game and you have to go to the secondary market/trade to get past items generally.  

True. But they made an effort to recover quickly. They bought an extra plastic factory in China and started pumping out stuff.* They didn't go "Oh well, one more reprint and that's it you guys."

FFG has a product with the very popular star wars licence riding the wave of episode VII and the (then) upcomming Rogue One. How do you under produce that? And if they where smart they would have learned from wizkids mistake.

*Possibly a slight exageration. ;)

1 hour ago, player1750031 said:

Or more recently, the Dice Masters debacle, which was eventually sorted but replaced with balance issues and a crazy release schedule no one could hope to keep up with, which killed off any interest in the game.

Also more recently, the Force of Will trainwreck, which was so hot in the US it couldn't stick on store shelves, but then was reprinted into oblivion, which, along with a couple mishandled sets, made it tank below sea level a year after the US release. To the point that distributors were sitting on several thousand units and resorted to drop in free booster boxes to orders just to get rid of the stuff from the warehouse. Which, incidentally, illustrates exactly why FFG should NOT print Awakenings to oblivion like some peole are suggesting - that has the potential to bury the game and make a serious dent on the corporate financials.

What crazy release schedual? I had no problems wi- ok yeah I managed, but only barely. There was a lot of stuff comming out. Yeah Force of will, that didn't even make it into stores over here. Nobody heard of it.  Ugh Who names their game after a magic card anyways? That's just asking for trouble.

But Destiny came out between two star wars movies. You would think they'd go: "Kids will buy anything with star wars on it! Keep printing till we run out of plastic! We'll sell 'em at LGSs and big chains like Target. This will be the next pokemon!"

Edited by Robin Graves

7 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

FFG has a product with the very popular star wars licence riding the wave of episode VII and the (then) upcomming Rogue One. How do you under produce that? And if they where smart they would have learned from wizkids mistake.

Tough to say.  I don't have FFG's numbers for inventory and/or thought process.  I've heard somewhere that FFG thought X-Wing was going to last till Wave 3 (Not sure how factual this statement is though).  It's now the largest selling table top miniature game surpassing 40k according to ICV2.  You never know.   I'm just curious the sales numbers on the SW LCG.  It's not in the top 10 of selling games for 2016 according ICV2 for channel card/dice games.  Just because it's SW doesn't mean it'll have stellar sales.

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/35146/top-10-hobby-channel-card-dice-games-spring-2016

Just wanted to say to the people comparing this to the Dice Masters issue. Wizkids also reprinted AVX 5 times to fix the issue. FFG's response, "We'll make a few more once and only once and then we plug forward with every set as a single print run." Wizkids went too far the other direction but FFG has basically said in so many words they can't or won't do any better than they have and that is just not good enough.

19 hours ago, player1750031 said:

I'm not sure you were here on these boards when they announced the game. Ugly doesn't begin to describe it. People were torches-and-pitchforks offended at just the idea of FFG making a collectible game.

So, the recap:

FFG announces they'll be making a collectible game.

The public reaction is largely indifferent to hostile towards the idea. Retailers on a whole don't order much, if at all.

FFG adjust the printing schedule to be more conservative, since everything predicts the game will tank.

The prerelase events happen and turns out everyone is bonkers about the game.

Retailers scramble frantically to order more stuff. They quickly go through FFG's remaining stock, due to the initial, conservative estimates.

FFG releases more stock in waves so that the market can absorb it gradually and doesn't tank to the ground. This fails to provide enough product due to people being unreasonable - reports of guys buying half a dozen boxes seemed like a normal occurence in some places on the Internet. Singles prices skyrocket and as a result stores are incentivized to break product up for singles.

FFG sets up a second printing of the set in the first open window in the China factories.  Schedules and logistics being tough and with Chinese New Years along the way, it won't hit stores until June.

FFG provides players with a heads-up of when the reprint will be coming three months in advance, so that people that are disappointed with the stock issues can prepare and get their stuff the moment it is available. They also provide information on the release schedule a year forward so everyone has a clear idea what will be coming and when, to minimize the chances of this happening again.

That's the situation. Now, I understand of you're frustrated that you can't get the game where you are, but calling people mentally unstable for being less frustrated than you or proclaiming to 'make the company accountable' for allegedly conspiring to keep product out of your hands is a bit much.

Did they not print enough? Yes, and that's due to everyone and their dog telling them the game will fail.

Are they printing more? Yes, and unfortunately due to a lot of manufacturing and logistical difficulties, they can't just click their heels and make stock appear in the warehouse overnight.

Are they telling you in advance they're printing more? Yes, and are in fact very clearly telegraphing to you that this will be the last call to get this particular set so that you can prepare adequately.

I'm baffled what more you would want. In reasonable and realistic terms, not 'FFG give more boosters or we riot'.

maybe to print enough product to get in new players and use for tourneys?

15 hours ago, Boba Fatt said:

These forums offer nothing but a place to complain.  I thought the X-Wing ones were bad but Destiny has taken that title for sure.  Now someone make sure to reply with a snide or ignorant comment.  

the complaints are valid

15 hours ago, bravo29 said:

lol I wont lie I didn't have an issue with these. I was a squadron leader for decipher and ended up working for them. Yes original were hard to get but we ended with 5 forms of vader and 5 of luke. Two of them were even easy to get in the preconstructed battle packs.

I say to the other jump ship...I wave bye bye to you. The other who know how a CCG game is are looking forward to the new stuff coming. Most of you jumping ship, selling off, or what ever will probably be back here down the road complaining again you cant get so and so because you sold out your collection at the wrong time.

if you want this game to succeed thats not the attitude you need to have, we wont ppl coming into the game not leaving. 

12 hours ago, Xindell said:

Wow, this is pretty bad.  I usually hang in the Armada Forums, so I hadn't really seen the wars going on here.

As someone who has been around CCGs for a long time, I have to say that the folks who are shrugging and saying, "This is how CCGs work, get over it" are being extremely disingenuous (or simply don't know what they are talking about).  Successful CCGs don't have the kinds of shortages that Destiny has.  Not even close.  Print runs are designed to let people get product, and for product to be on the shelves for some time after release.  The runs are 'limited' but only in the sense that they will eventually not be available.  No successful CCG sells out at every retailer in less than a month and that's it.  That is not sustainable.

On the flip side, people wanting this to be treated like an LCG have no concept of what a CCG is.  Furthermore, people who think that there shouldn't be a secondary market with high costed singles again have no concept of a CCG.  There will ALWAYS be 'chase rares' in a CCG.  There is supposed to be.  It's part of the fun of cracking packs.  When you open a pack and pull Darth Vader, it's a rush that makes you want to open more.  Plus, if you ever decide to get out of the game, that Darth Vader will help you get some money back.  It is almost an investment (though relying on CCG card values as a true investment practice is extremely poor money management).  The point is, they WANT YOU to open more packs, so you can find that chase card that you need to make your deck/collection complete.  Opening more packs is good for the company producing it.

Packs not being nearly available to open is not.  That's the crux of the problem here.  FFG under produced this first set.  There is no question about it, and no reasonable argument to be made to the contrary.  Does that mean they are running the game into the ground?  Of course not.  If it is well made, and in the future they make it a bit more accessible, it will be fine.  Those of us who have been around CCGs for a long time know that the big cards EVENTUALLY get reprinted (MtG's reserve list not withstanding).  Many cards get reprinted in the core sets over and over until there is an oversaturation of them.  I suspect that what they are learning with this initial release will mean more availability for future sets.  Between that, and individual card reprints moving forward, this issue will likely smooth out over time.

Remember, it is a new game, in a genre of games that FFG hasn't been a part of for some time.  Growing pains will happen.  But, they will get better.

wow someone who get's it

7 hours ago, charmtrap said:

magic released 20 years ago and was the first to try the system they had an excuse, now with all the data we have it should not be a problem

6 hours ago, hey_yu said:

so we are only printed one very limited print run and thats it despite the need for a lot more product a reasonable response?

4 hours ago, hey_yu said:

Tough to say.  I don't have FFG's numbers for inventory and/or thought process.  I've heard somewhere that FFG thought X-Wing was going to last till Wave 3 (Not sure how factual this statement is though).  It's now the largest selling table top miniature game surpassing 40k according to ICV2.  You never know.   I'm just curious the sales numbers on the SW LCG.  It's not in the top 10 of selling games for 2016 according ICV2 for channel card/dice games.  Just because it's SW doesn't mean it'll have stellar sales.

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/35146/top-10-hobby-channel-card-dice-games-spring-2016

well it could be there not any product to buy to pass the top 10

11 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Because when it was announced for whatever reason a lot people seemed to think it was going to bomb. Also, this is the first collectible game from FFG in about a decade, at lot of their regular supporters had gotten used to LCGs so a lot of people were bemoaning the collectible nature of it. So a lot stores didn't pre-order very much or any (of course there are exceptions) so it seemed like the interest level was Luke warm at best and they printed accordingly.

Also, I seem to recall they had some manufacturing issues at first? So maybe they did have a larger print run but something happened and they had to scrap some product?

6 hours ago, soviet prince said:

so we are only printed one very limited print run and thats it despite the need for a lot more product a reasonable response?

I can understand to certain extent folks frustration for not being able to purchase product for a gaming hobby due to supply issues.  It's unfortunate.  There maybe more productive avenues for complaints like by going thru the company for better results, etc.  If FFGs limited print run of the base set is inadequate after April then I think folks have a legit reason to complain.  Though, I think folks should sit back and take the wait and see approach to see if this is the case or not.  Rather than continuing to complain about it.

The SW LCG is been around for a couple years.  Pretty sure there is plenty of product.

maybe to print enough product to get in new players and use for tourneys?

the complaints are valid

if you want this game to succeed thats not the attitude you need to have, we wont ppl coming into the game not leaving. 

wow someone who get's it

magic released 20 years ago and was the first to try the system they had an excuse, now with all the data we have it should not be a problem

aybe to print enough product to get in new players and use for tourneys?

the complaints are valid

wow someone who get's it

Everybody deserves an opinion. Mine is some people are at a point of yelling "sky is falling sky is falling" while some are yelling "OMG NUCLEAR WAR INCOMING!!!!". While some of us are just stating relax and wait. Yes the first was shipment horrible, but all we can do is wait.

You got some that state they cant get packs to compete. Well buy singles then for the time being. You will probably spend the same amount as if you were cracking packs for that one or two cards.

As for the limited print runs I can see a pro and con for it. Neither of those involve what about future new players. Base sets will always give the new player a chance to play the game.

Edited by bravo29

11 minutes ago, bravo29 said:

Everybody deserves an opinion. Mine is some people are at a point of yelling "sky is falling sky is falling" while some are yelling "OMG NUCLEAR WAR INCOMING!!!!". While some of us are just stating relax and wait. Yes the first was shipment horrible, but all we can do is wait.

You got some that state they cant get packs to compete. Well buy singles then for the time being. You will probably spend the same amount as if you were cracking packs for that one or two cards.

As for the limited print runs I can see a pro and con for it. Neither of those involve what about future new players. Base sets will always give the new player a chance to play the game.

Generally agreed.  The complaints are completely valid, but lets everyone take a collective breathe here and at least see how this 2nd run and future sets are handled.  If things don't get better, then it's time to lose your mind.  But lets give them a chance to fix this screw up (make no mistake, this is a screw up).

When it comes to limited runs, that's the only way to make something collectible.  It's going to be that way and we all need to accept it.  The run just need to be big enough to be readily accessible during it's time.

This base set isn't exactly allowing new players a chance to play the game though.  It sounds like the plan is that will change for future ones (fingers crossed).

I dropped both Destiny FB groups because of the negative attacks on me personally for voicing my concerns.  I think at the end of the day, there are more people that want to play than there is product.  And Supply and Demand being what it is, that prices many of those folks out of the game..  People want to play now, which admittedly isn't going to happen without a lot of generosity, and $$ for the current pricing scheme.  The attacks on these folks on a personal level?  Really?

I had an argument with my LGS owner over pricing.  I know for a fact they will never sell packs at $2.99 again after the announcement, and that is their right.  That said, the same three people pretty much have a lock on the product as it comes in.  It's also my right to determine what cost point is too high for me to play, and to decide whether or not to patronize the store.  To some here and elsewhere, that makes me a baby or worse.  Fascinating.

Imho, the worst part is the way retailers are "playing" with booster boxs' prices and with customers in general.

I mean: selling product at a higher price will let you loose customers quicker than gaining new ones.

In my city, 3 of the 5 reatilers that have boosters have no players because they sell pack at inflated prices.

So all the players buy and play at the same place and we had no  issues with everyone having the cards they needed.

The shortage hit us right now because very few retailers have product to sell (and to use them as tournament prices too).

I'm not that worry nevertheless because I'm fine with the Awakenings reprint and I guess that SoR will have plenty of boosters floating around the world.

Edited by blackholexan

42 minutes ago, GrandMoffMatt said:

I dropped both Destiny FB groups because of the negative attacks on me personally for voicing my concerns.  I think at the end of the day, there are more people that want to play than there is product.  And Supply and Demand being what it is, that prices many of those folks out of the game..  People want to play now, which admittedly isn't going to happen without a lot of generosity, and $$ for the current pricing scheme.  The attacks on these folks on a personal level?  Really?

I had an argument with my LGS owner over pricing.  I know for a fact they will never sell packs at $2.99 again after the announcement, and that is their right.  That said, the same three people pretty much have a lock on the product as it comes in.  It's also my right to determine what cost point is too high for me to play, and to decide whether or not to patronize the store.  To some here and elsewhere, that makes me a baby or worse.  Fascinating.

Very well said, some people get almost violent that their "precious" might be closer to a turd than gold and when voicing an opinion to that effect the eye demands aggression.

1 hour ago, GrandMoffMatt said:

Fanboys are gonna fanboy, but there are limits. Don't let those f*ckers get to you.

1 hour ago, GrandMoffMatt said:

If your local store is now going to gouge the players with a price increase I wouldn't be buying from that store. I wouldn't even play tournaments at that store. At this point their is no reason for them to increase the price on their own. Its funny some stores stated the same thing but I look at their singles they are selling and they have quite a few.

If a store has plenty of singles and is selling singles their is no reason for them to raise the price of packs. The most I pay is $3.50 a pack and not a penny more when probably 2 out 5 cards are even used (if that).

If LGS started to raise prices for packs it would also hurt the game also.