FrogTrigger

There has been an awakening... reprint inc!

In December, Star Wars™: Destiny was released to massive acclaim! Players around the world seized their chance to enter the Star Wars universe and play out the epic duels of their imaginations with iconic characters from across the saga. In fact, the popularity of the game has outstripped all of our expectations, and the initial printing of the Awakenings set has sold out. Today, we’re excited to announce that one final limited print run of Awakenings booster packs is in the works! We’ll also reveal exactly how the printing policies for Star Wars: Destiny booster packs will work going forward. 

Going forwards, every year will begin with one base set, followed by two expansion sets. Base sets will remain in print as much as possible for one year, after which they will be replaced by a new base set. Expansion sets will have one printing, which will be released to retailers in waves, in order to bring product to retailers as quickly as possible. Unique products may be released in addition to this, but these products will be handled separately.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/28/there-has-been-an-awakening-1/

Edited by FrogTrigger

Just now, FrogTrigger said:

Good news that we are getting a reprint, but is it bad news that there will be only one? New starter sets means that we can expect the meta to fluctuate from year to year with the odd card(s) carrying forward?

From my first read it seems like a spin on the common "Standart" format that a lot of other card games employ. Providing a semi even playing field in regular intervals.

As for limited printing, it's not really feasible to print sets indefinitly for logistic reasons alone.

The limited print runs will cause cards to continue to bear a high price.

If there isn't a rotation for competitive play, powerful old cards will become to expensive to be purchasable by newer players.
If there is a rotation, the limited printed runs still cause an spike in card price but ultimately causing your investment to devalue sharply after an x amount; unless there is an eternal formation, which I recommend looking at the above point.

It's not the "limited" print fun, it's how extremely limited they are. Having a 4 month long print for the smaller expansions will create insane prices if a powercard is printed there. 100 dollars plus.

Edited by Obscene

Hrmm.. interesting. I missed out on the initial buy before stock was out and have been on the fence since, I am not sure if this article pushes me either way. I don't want to be investing a ton of cash just to be able to compete at tournaments, I don't plan to go to Worlds or anything but it's no fun to get curb stomped by a guy with a hand better than yours simply because he spent a ton more money on it. But I guess welcome to CCGs?

I might be better off sticking to X-Wing/LCG/IA where you can always have an even playing field after investing to a ceiling.

Just now, Lancezh said:

I'm completely dumbfounded by why they would keep the reprint as is and then not produce any more. This presents a heavily uneven playing field for people who get to the fight later.

They are going to have to introduce a rotation in this game and one more aggressive than is currently in place for their LCG systems.

1 minute ago, FrogTrigger said:

But I guess welcome to CCGs?

Pretty much, I'd say.

But seeing as they're reprinting the first set due to overwhelming demand it would stand to reason to assume that the sets going forward will be printed with a higher quantity in mind from the get go. Of course the article doesn't confirm that...  but one can hope.

Just now, GoldSquadron said:

They are going to have to introduce a rotation in this game and one more aggressive than is currently in place for their LCG systems.

I'm a retailer and i'm pretty sure that my customers wont take kindly to this news. We had a policy not to have ccg systems because of their moneymaking nature. We made an exception for destiny so i'll see how they take it. Personally i'm not enjoying this at all, i doubt that the rotation will be happening, invalidating cards early will kill this game.

1 minute ago, Lancezh said:

I'm a retailer and i'm pretty sure that my customers wont take kindly to this news. We had a policy not to have ccg systems because of their moneymaking nature. We made an exception for destiny so i'll see how they take it. Personally i'm not enjoying this at all, i doubt that the rotation will be happening, invalidating cards early will kill this game.

Per the article they already announced that a new base set will replace itself every year. 

It's not an encouraging sign for the long term health of the game if we only have a 3-4 month window to buy into any given set. I doubt Vader will ever attain the value of, say, a Black Lotus or green Hurricane, but nobody is going to be willing to part with their cards after boosters sell out. This is very much bad news. 

I'm going to assume something pretty steep.

There is no telling how long they think they can keep a starwars liscene, and instead of keeping a sustainable ccg(as profitable as they can be) model they are playing for very high ROI model even if it's not long term sustainable.

I personally think this is a very negative business model towards gamers, while an extremely lucrative one to case crackers.

1 minute ago, Obscene said:

I'm going to assume something pretty steep.

There is no telling how long they think they can keep a starwars liscene, and instead of keeping a sustainable ccg(as profitable as they can be) model they are playing for very high ROI model even if it's not long term sustainable.

I personally think this is a very negative business model towards gamers, while an extremely lucrative one to case crackers.

I doubt that, assumptions in this direction are way to early and are not founded on anything at the moment. We simply don't know what their thinking is, maybe they are just trying to see how it pans out as it's a new area for FFG, much like RuneWars that's trying to kick against GW

2 minutes ago, Lancezh said:

I doubt that, assumptions in this direction are way to early and are not founded on anything at the moment. We simply don't know what their thinking is, maybe they are just trying to see how it pans out as it's a new area for FFG, much like RuneWars that's trying to kick against GW

I did preface with it assume. 
Consider me jaded after how things fell out with the GW IPs.

So, I wonder how the base sets will cycle given characters out assuming the previous base set may no longer be tournie legal. For example, is Awakenings Vader going to be cycled out for a new Vader in the next base set? 

It seems base sets should have a longer tournie lifespan than one year. That's ways too fast and given supply issues, way too small a window to jump on the product. 

Also given limited print runs, I'm concerned retailers and eretailers will increase the costs of boxes.

Edited by Hawkman2000

1 minute ago, CBMarkham said:

One print run for each expansion wave? Ugghh...

So disgusting. Guess it's time to up my pre-order.

Saga + Display. Let me sub sagas TC! 

Want to thank FFG for the news.  Not sure how this will work out.

2 minutes ago, Hawkman2000 said:

So, I wonder how the base sets will cycle given characters out assuming the previous base set may no longer be tournie legal. For example, is Awakenings Vader going to be cycled out for a new Vader in the next base set? 

It seems base sets should have a longer tournie lifespan than one year. That's ways too fast and given supply issues, way too small a window to jump on the product. 

Also given limited print runs, I'm concerned retailers and eretailers will increase the costs of boxes.

I guarantee you as long as there is supply we retailers wont do this, nobody stocks 200 displays just because they might go up in price (i won't do it either way). Price scalping might become an issue once supply is really running low.