IG88E

Post your most glorious victory/your most painful defeat

Soontir killed your entire squad? You were about to win and flew outside the map? You killed a squad with Nasthah Pub or sacrifced a ship into a bomb to trigger Sabine and win?

Post your most glorious victory and/or your most painful defeat

3...2...1...go ;)

Edited by IG88E

Glorious victory? used an Advanced Proton torp pumped up by Jan Ors to one shot a Defender back in wave 4. Painful defeat? Played a Kanan/Biggs list versus Dash/Miranda, wasn't looking too bad. Forgot about Mirandas Ion Bombs, though, which sent Kanan with the docked shuttle off the board...

Most glorious victory? Crushing two Dark Lords in one Imperial list with five Cartel Marauders at Yavin last year. The game lasted 25 minutes, tops.

Most painful defeat? Probably facing off against Kanan/Biggs at this year's Yavin. I think I may have managed to take a grand total of two shields off each ship, tops.

I played in the Queensland (Australia) regionals a few weekends ago. I went 4-2. All the wins were around 150 MoV. The two losses were against Morgan Reid (prior Australian champion and worlds runner up) and Travis Foss (Australian runner up). Some guys get all the luck.

Greatest win: Using an Autoblaster Cannon + Outrider YT2400 generic and winning a tournament with it. Block, shoot, repeat.

It's tough to remember really satisfying victories - that's the nature of the beast that is human psychology sadly.  My favourite was probably beating triple jumps with Carnor/Vader/OL at the height of triple jumps.  It was a REALLY tight match and I was super satisfied with it.

I've had too many colossally ignominious defeats to count, so picking out any specific one would be way too tough.  And depressing.

Everybody knows how painful was uboat matchup to everyone. Especially for squishy rebel ships.

That said - I have once beaten 2 torp jumps and partybuss with double k-wing list loosing a total of 4 shields on warden only. It was a matter of both luck, my good flying and opponent mistakes. He had shot 2 torpedo shots total, landed on rock with partybus when its only shot might have happened and had maybe 3 more shots with jumps primaries. He was very unlucky and rolled 3 blanks in both torpedo shots and than failed to do more than 1 damage with primaries.

With better luck he might have killed one kwing though easily even when outflown.

The most recent glorious victory I can recall is dropping a fully loaded Miranda down in two stunning bombing runs from Deathrain. Miranda was down two shields from the previous turn. I baited her with Carnor to buy Deathrain time to get into position and luckily it worked as my first lot of cluster mines landed right on Miranda, my opponent rolled two hits and two crits (which were converted to hits, thank you FAQ!) on the first pass and then he proceeded to roll another 4 hits the next turn! Deathrain managed to hang on with one hull remaining and then managed to even get the final killing blow on his Poe at range three after the rest of my force had softened him up. A glorious victory indeed.

Edited by Thunderchild

Yavin Open 2017

Round 6 of Swiss.

I'm flying Kanan + Biggs against and Ketsu+Dengar lista.
Final turn, I have the Kanan with 7 hull left and 3 focus facing the front arc of the Dengar with 4 hull left at range 2.
In my mind I go: "Dengar will shoot first. I can reduce one attack dice with a focus and he will deal 2 damage to my kanan. Then I shoot den gar and he will shoot back. I can reduce 1 attack dice again and will get 2 more hit points, and I can finish the Dengar of at the end of the turn with the TLT."
Well, Dengar shot, I spent a focus to reduce 1 attack dice, kanan got Hit + Crit. 1 Damage from the Hit and a direct Hit from the crit so, I lost 3 of my 7 hull. Still 4 left. 
Kanan shoots Dengar dealing 3 damage. Dengar has now 1 hull point left and I will finish him with my TLY at the end of the turn.
Dengar shoots back, I reduce one attack dice spending a focus, he rolls the 2 dice and get 2 crits, Direct Hit + Direct Hit... Kanan took 4 damage from a 2 dice attack. My kanan blows up...

5 minutes ago, pflrocha said:

Yavin Open 2017

Round 6 of Swiss.

Final turn, I have the Kanan with 7 hull left and 3 focus facing the front arc of the Dengar with 4 hull left at range 2.
In my mind I go: "Dengar will shoot first. I can reduce one attack dice with a focus and he will deal 2 damage to my kanan. Then I shoot den gar and he will shoot back. I can reduce 1 attack dice again and will get 2 more hit points, and I can finish the Dengar of at the end of the turn with the TLT...

...funnily enough, up until that point that sounds like my round 3 of Swiss at Yavin 2017. The game did not end anywhere near as well for my Dengar, though.

11 minutes ago, pflrocha said:

Yavin Open 2017

Round 6 of Swiss.

In my mind I go: "Dengar will shoot first. I can reduce one attack dice with a focus and he will deal 2 damage to my kanan. Then I shoot den gar and he will shoot back. I can reduce 1 attack dice again and will get 2 more hit points, and I can finish the Dengar of at the end of the turn with the TLT."
Well, Dengar shot, I spent a focus to reduce 1 attack dice, kanan got Hit + Crit. 1 Damage from the Hit and a direct Hit from the crit so, I lost 3 of my 7 hull. Still 4 left. 
Kanan shoots Dengar dealing 3 damage. Dengar has now 1 hull point left and I will finish him with my TLY at the end of the turn.
Dengar shoots back, I reduce one attack dice spending a focus, he rolls the 2 dice and get 2 crits, Direct Hit + Direct Hit... Kanan took 4 damage from a 2 dice attack. My kanan blows up...

And then presumably murders the shuttle handily as well?  Because if not that could have gone very differently for you...

I'll start with my most painful defeat:

Recently at the local Regional I faced a mirror with my Parattanni. I was undefeated to that point (3-0) and knew this round would be a challenge. My opponent won the initiative roll and gave it to me. I thought I'd make lemonade out of it and block as much as possible. My flying was fine, but my dice were so cold I think I did 4 damage the whole round. Including this gem from Fenn:

RenderedContent-61324D2B-EE42-44D6-BAFC-61ED8E8553A2.thumb.JPG.813e42077c8fdc65de0ec4dbb26e4732.JPG

It was disheartening and ultimately a very close loss. My opponent went on to win the Regional and was a great competitor, but I can't help but wonder. I said it before, but my 2016 dice didn't want me getting 2017 dice.

As for victories, those are usually just not giving up until the dice (mine and my opponents) turn back in my favor.

2016 Regional I was flying U-boats against Dash/Corran. I had one Torp in the chute on my last surviving JM5K vs 2 hull Dash and 2H/2S Corran. I managed to drops Dash with a range 1 shot. The following round I pulled the Sloop to face Corran. He attacks, drops me to 1 hull. I loose my last torpedo with full modifiers, slightest chance of outright killing him before the double tap. He blanks out. I sit stunned.

Recent store tourney, I took Poe, Biggs , Braylen Stressmule. My opponent has his signature Norra, Shara, Biggs. I try to outfly the joust, but I'm failing.  Lose Biggs, then Braylen. His Biggs is low and I managed to get Norra under half through maneuvers to keep his Biggs out of arc. Poe's full, but all alone and stuck in a triangle of Biggs, Shara, and Norra's rear arcs. My opponent remarks "Now, that's a kill box." Poe has LW(!) and shoots first. Manage 4 hits on Norra. She blanks out. PS kill. Poe loses two shields, regens one, goes hyper and chases down Biggs to plug the last two into him. Poe ends up winning by 6 points over Shara, but if there was no time limit mommy definitely would have become debris too.

Edited by Skargoth

Victory

2017 Yavin System Open.  

Round 7, final game of the Saturday - both my opponent and myself are on 3 -3.  This win seals in some shiney target lock tokens...    this is my first big event, the most I've done before this is an 8 person shop tournament.  

He pulls out his list, it's Paratanni same as mine, it's a mirror match...  He then starts to pull out 2016 tournament dice, 2017 tournament templates etc etc..  I'm sat there thinking I'm screwed...   However I played the best game of X-Wing I think I've ever played..  Every move right and my dice were on fire...    Best game EVER! 

Defeat - Same day similar mirror match I proceed to fly a full health Asajj off the board as I'd set the wrong maneuver...    Wont do that again 

Edited by Jamz

Glorious victory? Having pre-HOTR Poe dameron solo 7 TIEs while they kept Han Solo on a rock

painful defeat? I was playing against a kavil-manaroo-something else list and my opponent was using the old damage deck munitions failure on Kavil and injured pilot on manaroo, i proceeded to lose the match

Edited by DeathstarII

My most glorious victory was at the heights of the Phantom Menace in 2014, where Whisper ruled everything. I played a pancakes list with Han (slightly fat) and Leebo (HLC, title, Determination) and ended up blocking all the spots Whisper wanted to decloak to throughout the entire game. I ended up winning that Store Championship.

My most painful defeat was the entirety of the local Regional tournament this month. I somehow managed to lose every single game (the defeat is the entire tournament), through a combination of some bad decisions, generally suboptimal flying, bad dice in some situations, and a list I knew in advance wasn't optimal because I like my TIE/sf with Lightweight Frame and that card wasn't legal at the Regional (because it wasn't out long enough yet, through the German distributor).

glorious victory

Cassian with 1 hull left being chased by countess with 3 hull `1 shield. I move first, do a 1 forward, drop a prox mine. she flies forward, rolls 3 natural hits and sabine for 1. Cassian wins. 

Glorious Win -

Michigan Regionals Dec 16, Round of top 16.  My Kanan/Biggs was facing a Dengaroo.  Round 1 of Combat Dengar took 5 damage at R2 from Kanan, dealt none to Biggs and only managed a single shield on Kanan.  Second round he forgot about the rear arc, bumped into Biggs, found himself 5mm within R2 of Manny so he couldn't use LW, did another shield to Kanan, who then killed Dengar with his primary (and no revenge).  Next round Manny did a right turn to flee off the edge and a congrats were given.  Total match was probably around 10 minutes.

Worst Defeat - 

Casual tourney, ~22 people.  I was running a funsy list of Poe8 w/ R5P9, Adapt, IA, Corran w/ R2D2, Adapt, and Biggs w/ R2D6, VI, IA.  Everyone was at PS7, and I rolled Corran and Poe into R1 of the enemy, protected by Biggs at R3 of the enemy - perfect scenario.  I took all of my shots and managed to do like 3 shields of damage to the Ghost.  The Ghost's return fire onto Biggs rolled hit hit crit crit and Biggs blanked out - first crit was a direct hit, so I eject the droid.  Second crit was a Major Explosion, which triggered another Direct hit.  Boom!  Second shot comes in on Corran from an X wing at R1, hit hit hit crit.  Corran blanks out, loses 3 shields and draws a direct.  BOOM!  Third shot took off all of Poe's shields, R5P9 gave him one back though.  Next round Poe managed to do absolutely nothing, and blew up in a flaming ball.  

What can you say - some matches there's just nothing you can do to win =P  And other's you literally can't lose.

Glorious Victory:

Regionals, May 2016.  I was running Tractor Beam Terminators (IGGY B & C, both identical with Crackshot, FCS, title, AT, HLC, Tractor Beams, and B had Glitterstim).  Played against Zuckuss + two U-Boats(pre nerf obviously).  He set up the scouts in the top left corner with Zuckuss in the middle; I set up with C in the bottom right and B in the middle.  His first move was to slow roll everything; my first move was to go fast with C but hold B back a bit.  I had cornered a large asteroid in the top left so he had to try and maneuver around it after seeing me coming in hot.  After moving, Zuckuss was just out of range 3 from B head on.  C flanked and tractor beamed Zuckuss, I boosted him into range of B and then stripped his shields.  Zuckuss turned toward C on the right side of the board, C did a 3 bank + boost to disengage.  B then takes Zuckuss out.

So far so good, now the scouts finally make it.  I get C into range 1 of scout A to block his torp shot,  scout B fires a plasma torp and strips C's shields.  Then scout A fires at range 1; hit, hit, crit.  I roll poorly, C takes a direct hit and is gone.

Two Scouts with three torpedoes vs IGGY-B.  I managed to kill Scout A before he gets any torpedoes off, Scout B gets his last torp off and somehow I end up with a one health IGGY-B vs a full health Scout.  Over the course of 7 or 8 rounds I out maneuver him, stay out of his firing arc so I always get autothrusters and somehow manage to take the win.

I've been playing for a few years, I have a lot of defeat stories.  The first one that comes to mind was at regionals in November 16.  I had been on fire with an OldManFenn list for two months.  Came up against a RAC-Vader crit build.  He caught Fenn at range 2 in arc with PS10 RAC and, with RAC's ability plus palpatine he pushed through two crits.  Weapons Failure>Weapons Failure.  I put in my best effort, but that game was over right there.  I spent four turns running away with Fenn and spending my action to try and flip the Weapons Failures.  He didn't flip any before he finally blew up.

8 hours ago, pflrocha said:

Yavin Open 2017

Round 6 of Swiss.

wow!

Victory!

Semi Finals Regionals 2017:

A bad start: All I had left was my Rey (VI, EU, Sloop title, Kanan, Finn) with 3 Hull. I was up against a 4 Hull Ketsu and a 6 Hull & 3 Shield Bossk.

I managed to avoid their arcs for the remainder of the game until i finished both them off. 

Skip to 2:16

Defeat!

Finals Regionals 2017:

Outflown all game by commonwealth defenders. My brain finally turned to mush on the 9th game.

Props to both my oponents. Well flown.

Edited by TBot

I like to think of my best and worst as the same game. This game was in a local tournament against a top-tier player. My opponent placed top 16 at 2015 Worlds. I've never had more than one win in a single event. He was flying Palp Aces. I was flying Miranda and Dash. I flew the game of my life, and with a combination of blocks and dodging I managed to trade a mere two shields for the Palp Shuttle in three rounds of combat. One of the lost shields was on Miranda, so I was sure to get it back. Up to that point, the match was my most glorious victory. After that point it became a painful defeat. From that point forward I did one damage the rest of the game. Except for that one attack, my opponent's green dice never produced less paint than he needed. I even rolled some perfect shots, all hits and crits without modification, but my opponent's green dice and token stacks held the line. Se la vie. I played the game of my life and lost anyway. Even as a loss it was a load of fun. 

5 hours ago, TBot said:

Victory!

Semi Finals Regionals 2017:

A bad start: All I had left was my Rey (VI, EU, Sloop title, Kanan, Finn) with 3 Hull. I was up against a 4 Hull Ketsu and a 6 Hull & 3 Shield Bossk.

I managed to avoid their arcs for the remainder of the game until i finished both them off. 

Skip to 2:16

Defeat!

Finals Regionals 2017:

Outflown all game by commonwealth defenders. My brain finally turned to mush on the 9th game.

Props to both my oponents. Well flown.

Ugggghhh, thanks for bringing up some bad memories! (I'm Bill, btw) That was an amazing game, and I still kick myself for not being able to close that out. This is actually only my second most crushing defeat though...

My worst defeat was 2015 regional final table in Saskatoon. My planned echo decloak put my nub on a rock. Chose instead to stay cloaked, focused up with rec spec, and ate 4 hits from an HLC, only to roll blanks. Goodbye echo. If that decloak had gone my way, the game was in my hands. 

My greatest achievement was a few months ago at a small store tournament. My fearlessness, cluster missile Bossk one-shot an IG88-B, with Glitterstim active, and an evade token. Absolute carnage.

The best part is that both of these games were against the same opponent. @PLR