MonkeyInSpace

Are triple T70's viable?

I tried few games with following and I really like it:

Poe Dameron (33)

Intensity (2), BB-8 (2), Integrated Astromech (0), Primed Thrusters (1), Black One (1)

Nien Nunb (29)

Snap Shot (2), R3-A2 (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (25)

M9-G8 (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

It packs reasonable punch and is very resistant to TL-based attacks, but it requires precise flying in formation (unless Jess dies quicky, then it does not matter so much).  Before, I flew PtL Poe with Jess with R2-D6 and A Score to Settle, which was a lot less durable. Now, with the evade token from Intensity, it's not so easy to take Poe down anymore. 

My club is mooting a no unique pilots/upgrades league and this is one of my options...

Vanilla league (99)

Red Squadron Veteran (33) - T-70 X-Wing
Intensity (2), Seismic Torpedo (2), Targeting Astromech (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Intensity (2), Seismic Torpedo (2), Targeting Astromech (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

its a bit of a one trick pony, K-turn behind and blast the crap out of them. I'm not expecting anyone to be enough of a ****hole to bring the triple jumps do I don't think autothrusters are worth it, so the worst I'm facing will be Defenders.

Just wondering if there's an argument for Jess Pava/R2-D6/Selflessness as a "third ship" - after all, what you really want is for your opponent to try and kill jess first (because she's got green dice rerolls out the wazoo) so access to super-draw-their-fire to punish you for shooting at anyone else might help achieve that.

Plus it's a point cheaper than M9-G8, which might well add up to the oft-not-quite-fitting-in-but-awesome Black One title.

14 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

My club is mooting a no unique pilots/upgrades league and this is one of my options...

its a bit of a one trick pony, K-turn behind and blast the crap out of them. I'm not expecting anyone to be enough of a ****hole to bring the triple jumps do I don't think autothrusters are worth it, so the worst I'm facing will be Defenders.

It's a nice idea, but it depends how many times you expect to pull that trick off.

'Restocking' Intensity requires your action for the turn, which in turn requires you to have slugged off the stress and actually got an action.

Dropping to Cool Hand frees up enough points to turn those Seismic Torpedoes into Plasma Torpedoes, or (if you're prepared to drop Primed Thrusters now you're not relying on Intensity) even proton torpedoes, both of which options should help with the process of crap-blasting.

Alternatively, you could drop 2 to cool hand/empty tech slot/flechette torpedoes/guidance chips and use those points to give the third Advanced proton torpedoes - being able to k-turn, boost back into range 1, and pick up a focus and target lock as incidentals should make for one scary shot.

Went 2-2 at our store championships to finish 9th of 17 with:

Nien Nunb (36)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Snap Shot (2), Integrated Astromech (0), Black One (1)

“Snap” Wexley (36)
T-70 X-Wing (28), R2-D2 (4), Pattern Analyzer (1), Intensity (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (28)
T-70 X-Wing (25), M9-G8 (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

It's a good list; my losses were very close (vs Kylo/Whisper and Dengar/Nym). The list is better than I flew it. Snap with Intensity was great!

Regen Snap was good, though I didn't need to regen much -- he was generally the closer except in the one game where my opponent focused on him first. I need to try Intensity Snap with a Targeting Astromech at some point for the four actions after a red maneuver.

I prefer PA on both over Primed Thrusters; it means that Nien can do more than boost after a red (sometimes you are already at R1, and are better off with a focus), for Snap it means he can do a red and get boost, Intensity, action where with PT he just gets boost, Intensity.

Didn't miss higher PS too terribly; PS 9 would certainly have helped in the Kylo/Whisper loss though (Kylo had VI to 8). I did beat a PS 9 Poe list, and would have beaten Dengar/Nym without high PS except for a fateful decision to shoot Dengar in arc. (Never shoot Dengar in arc.)

I've been tracking this thread for a while, and this week put Nien, Snap, Jess on the table against our local store champ flying Nymgar. 

While I lost, I learned that snap shot stress Nien shuts down Dengar and intensity Snap is really sweet due to the ability to just turtle up ... he tanked 2 rounds of focused fire while I took out Dengar before Nym autoblaster/accuracy corrector took the rest of me out. 

Really enjoyed flying it and it will stay in my game box for quite some time. 

My list was 

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!199:-1,70,204:-1:20:U.214;198:232,-1,2,203:-1:15:;197:205,-1,69,204:39:15:&sn=StaRkiller base run&obs=

I took a 3 T-70 list to Worlds this year and it didn't do too bad. It's incredibly fun to fly and can be really tricky against lists that rely on Target Locks.

Poe Dameron (PS8): Adaptability, R5-P9, Pattern Analyzer, Integrated Astromech

"Snap" Wexley: Veteran Instincts, BB-8, Pattern Analyzer, Integrated Astromech, Black One

Jess Pava: Snap Shot, R5-D6 (EPT Astromech), Pattern Analyzer, Integrate Astromech

Snap with Pattern Analyzer can do some crazy things. Being able to do a 4 K-Turn, then boost, then take an action or 3 Tallon Roll, boost, action can make for some crazy maneuvers and positions and with BB-8 you can potentially remove 2 target locks per round (even one from yourself). Snap Shot alone is just great. Jess doesn't get to use her ability on it as you can't modify dice but it's still an extra 2-dice attack against a ship that hasn't taken an action yet. Poe does Poe things. Just focus him every round and he's hard to take down. The best thing about this list (in my opinion) is that there really isn't a target that screams "Kill Me First!". People want to get Jess out because of Snap Shot but they also want to get Snap out as he can flank or remove target locks and obviously they want Poe gone because he's Poe. Give this list a shot and I think you'll really like it. I was one damage away from taken down Triple Jumps with this list.

That's the closest to mine, I absolutely love Snap. I think with Intensity he's going to be even better although it would stop him taking Black One  

Interesting mech choice on Jess, better than M9-G8? I hadn't actually thought about the extra shooting from Snap Shot though. 

Going to run variations on these T70s for the rest of my days! 

Edited by ayedubbleyoo

Still playing the triple T-70s periodically ... last night ran VI/R5-P9 Poe with Snap Stress Nien and M9-G8 Jess. Won against a Fenn/Dengar Inaldra list and against a traditional Palp Aces (Soontir/Vader) and lost to Death Rey (Jan Ors would ... not ...die!).

With all the bombs, turrets, Jumps, Nyms, Mirandas, etc about I actually found it really, really refreshing to face the Palp Aces list.  Traditional dogfighting -- predict flying, watch arcs -- is the most fun for me (even against Soontir backed by a Palpatine safety net).

There's a store champs Sunday ... now what should I try next?

================
2Snap Regen Jess
================

100 points

“Snap” Wexley (34)
T-70 X-Wing (28), Targeting Astromech (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Intensity (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (31)
T-70 X-Wing (25), R2-D2 (4), Pattern Analyzer (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (35)
T-70 X-Wing (29), Black One (1), R3-A2 (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Snap Shot (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

< OR >

========================
Double Comms Relay T-70s
========================

100 points

“Red Ace” (36)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

“Snap” Wexley (35)
T-70 X-Wing (28), Targeting Astromech (2), Comm Relay (3), Intensity (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (29)
T-70 X-Wing (25), M9-G8 (3), Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Durability on the second one is nice but I like the action economy of the first with Pattern Analyzers.

Edited by Hawkstrike

So ended up 6th of 14 and 2-2 at a Store Champs using:

“Snap” Wexley (34)
T-70 X-Wing (28), Targeting Astromech (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Intensity (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (31)

Nien Nunb (35)
T-70 X-Wing (29), Black One (1), R3-A2 (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Snap Shot (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Lost to the eventual winner (Quickdraw/Vessery/Epsilon) in round 3 and the eventual second place winner (Whisper/Palp RAC) in round 4.  Both close games -- common to both was losing Nien without getting much value from him (no Snaps; only one R3-A2 use in the last game).

Four-action Snap was good fun; came close to pulling it out in both losing games in 1v1 vs Quickdraw and Whisper, but not close enough!

10 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

So ended up 6th of 14 and 2-2 at a Store Champs using:

“Snap” Wexley (34)

Jess Pava (31)

Nien Nunb (35)

Lost to the eventual winner (Quickdraw/Vessery/Epsilon) in round 3 and the eventual second place winner (Whisper/Palp RAC) in round 4.  Both close games -- common to both was losing Nien without getting much value from him (no Snaps; only one R3-A2 use in the last game).

Four-action Snap was good fun; came close to pulling it out in both losing games in 1v1 vs Quickdraw and Whisper, but not close enough!

That Snap build is insane. T-Roll into a TL and boost then a focus/evade then, well, another focus I guess! Would love to find the points for VT on him.

Narrowly lost against two Jumpmasters last night, playing Poe, Jess and stress Nien. Got them both low on hit points but struggled to finish them off when Poe died.

My flying is definitely getting better now, I managed to get them to come into the asteroids and had a couple of turns with one of them parked on a rock  

I went for PS11 Poe with BB8, I think if I had regen I might have won the game. 

I almost think the new wave (high PS bomber and Intensity) has made it harder to pick a triple T70 list for 100 points. I want regen on Poe but R5-P9 doesn't really fit with Intensity and PS9 is starting to look low. I want Snap with Intensity but I love him at PS8 with Black One.

So many options at the moment, feel like I could keep playing these ships for a long time yet!

Any thoughts? 

Edited by ayedubbleyoo

Seeing someone trying uber-tanky Poe (Intensity, R2-D2, Comms Relay) and it inspired me to try an intensity list:

• Red Squadron Veteran - Intensity, Comms Relay, Autothrusters

Feels wierd to have the astromech slot empty on an x-wing, but without integrated astromech it's not exactly vital, and the autothrusters/evade combination sort of makes up for it. 

5 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Seeing someone trying uber-tanky Poe (Intensity, R2-D2, Comms Relay) and it inspired me to try an intensity list:

Feels wierd to have the astromech slot empty on an x-wing, but without integrated astromech it's not exactly vital, and the autothrusters/evade combination sort of makes up for it. 

Take this same list but drop a Red Squadron Veteran for Jess w/ R2-D6, Intensity, Comms Realy, Autothrusters. Exactly the same amount of points. You get the added benefit of Jess' rerolls, making her more viable than a RSV in my opinion but you lose 1 pilot skill.

12 hours ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

Narrowly lost against two Jumpmasters last night, playing Poe, Jess and stress Nien. Got them both low on hit points but struggled to finish them off when Poe died.

My flying is definitely getting better now, I managed to get them to come into the asteroids and had a couple of turns with one of them parked on a rock  

I went for PS11 Poe with BB8, I think if I had regen I might have won the game. 

I almost think the new wave (high PS bomber and Intensity) has made it harder to pick a triple T70 list for 100 points. I want regen on Poe but R5-P9 doesn't really fit with Intensity and PS9 is starting to look low. I want Snap with Intensity but I love him at PS8 with Black One.

So many options at the moment, feel like I could keep playing these ships for a long time yet!

Any thoughts? 

I love your optimism. 

I abandoned 3*(T-70) a while ago in favor of Poetensity plus one (Dash, Leebo, Han, or Rey). 

Last night I took out an old list, tweaked it a bit and ran BB8 Intensity Snap, Snapshot Stressbot Nein, and M9-G8 Jess. 

I totally outflew my opponent for several rounds, keeping out of his arc, and laying double stress a few times on Fenn Rau. 

It didnt matter. Literally nothing I could do to stop the TLT Nym bombing my list to bits. It was demoralizing. 

The bright spot was Nein.  In the furball he could pull K turns and T-Rolls at will. But these ships just don't have the mods to push enough damage through. 

Maybe one of you aces will prove me wrong, but the answer to the question is: no. 

For multi-comms relay, consider:

“Red Ace” (36)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

“Snap” Wexley (35)
T-70 X-Wing (28), Targeting Astromech (2), Comm Relay (3), Intensity (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (29)
T-70 X-Wing (25), M9-G8 (3), Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

HWCS charges them up at placement.

2 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

I love your optimism. 

I abandoned 3*(T-70) a while ago in favor of Poetensity plus one (Dash, Leebo, Han, or Rey). 

Last night I took out an old list, tweaked it a bit and ran BB8 Intensity Snap, Snapshot Stressbot Nein, and M9-G8 Jess. 

I totally outflew my opponent for several rounds, keeping out of his arc, and laying double stress a few times on Fenn Rau. 

It didnt matter. Literally nothing I could do to stop the TLT Nym bombing my list to bits. It was demoralizing. 

The bright spot was Nein.  In the furball he could pull K turns and T-Rolls at will. But these ships just don't have the mods to push enough damage through. 

Maybe one of you aces will prove me wrong, but the answer to the question is: no. 

Nah I think you're basically right. I knew I would lose that game and I did, like many others. I still lose about 70%. Just at least now I feel like I'm competing a bit more. 

I wouldn't enjoy the game as much if I wasn't flying small fighters anyway, so it's lose-lose in a way! 

Been flying against a lot of defenders recently, and wanted to try to mimic their maneuverability a bit. Came up with a 3x T70 list that loves k-turns and talon rolls. 

Poe: Intensity, BB-8, Primed Thrusters, IA

Red Squadron Vet.: Snap Shot, R2, Pattern Analyzer, IA

I like the idea of Stress/Snapshot/Nien, but I think that Snapshot works better with a lower pilot skill. With this list I have a lot more attack, a lot more maneuverability, and a lot less to keep track of. 

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, BanthaFather said:

Been flying against a lot of defenders recently, and wanted to try to mimic their maneuverability a bit. Came up with a 3x T70 list that loves k-turns and talon rolls. 

Poe: Intensity, BB-8, Primed Thrusters, IA

I like the idea of Stress/Snapshot/Nien, but I think that Snapshot works better with a lower pilot skill. With this list I have a lot more attack, a lot more maneuverability, and a lot less to keep track of. 

Thoughts?

I really liked Nein's ability to discard stress after a T-Roll if an enemy is R1 and in arc. 

12 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

I really liked Nein's ability to discard stress after a T-Roll if an enemy is R1 and in arc. 

Me too, and combined with the stressbot is amazing. I'm trying to make something consistent and reliable though. When I'm a better pilot, I'll definitely be flying Nein again, but at the moment his shenanigans are too conditional for me. 

On 19/08/2017 at 1:21 PM, BanthaFather said:

Me too, and combined with the stressbot is amazing. I'm trying to make something consistent and reliable though. When I'm a better pilot, I'll definitely be flying Nein again, but at the moment his shenanigans are too conditional for me. 

Try him with Targeting Astromech and Stay on Target for a bit of variation. Even more situational but even more lethal!

So I just picked up two Tie Aggressors the other day for intensity of course :P to change up my Nein/Jess/Poe list with something a little more tanky.

Wexley w/Intensity, Targeting Astromech, IA, & PA 
Jess w/R2-D2 & IA
Poe (PS8) w/Intensity, R5-P9, IA, & Prime

Joust with Jess & Poe and have Wexley move in on the flanks, thoughts?