MonkeyInSpace

Are triple T70's viable?

After watching a few streams recently and looking at all the unplayed ships in my collection, I am wondering how to put 3 T70's to work. I have been playing with the below list against myself and it'll be a few weeks until I get to try it out live and was curious for feedback.

my thinking is to formation fly them as long as possible to give Jess so use while throwing Nien and Poe around in various red shenanigans to keep the enemy on their toes and hopefully keep them close enough to keep triggering Jess. 

That 70's show (100)

Jess Pava (28) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-F2 (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (35) - T-70 X-Wing
Stay On Target (2), Targeting Astromech (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (37) - T-70 X-Wing
Wired (1), R5-P9 (3), Pattern Analyzer (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

note: casual play only, not looking to win any tournaments anytime soon.

It's quite viable. The T-70 is a good, points-per-points efficient ship with some great pilots. I like to run Poe, Snap and Jess sometimes. As it's a casual list, I won't dwell on the upgrades too much; you can bring whatever you like and have fun with it. I do, however, recommend not being too inflexible just to get Jess her rerolls and be prepared to break formation when the situation demands it.

Don't know about your collection, but consider M9-G8 on jess. People don't like to focus jess and gives especially poe that extra offensive boost. 

R3-A2 is a fun pick on nien as well as it gives control and with stay on target you can get to range one and give both damage and stress with 0 stress on nien. It leaves nien a bit less offensive, but gives him a nice uniqueness as well.  

Veteran instincts will probably also serve you better on poe, as you can pilot skill 10. Wired is just weird on poe, that loves his eyeball result so much. It might work if you roll all eyes but still  .. 

Anyways it is viable but also very difficult in my opinion. I have been flying nien and poe with the new u wing, and it is a blast! 

Cheers

Love the name! Just my opinion but i think R2-F2 is a horrible card. Having a focus token on 2 defense dice has a better chance of getting an evade than 3 defence dice without a focus token. 

Taking a focus token also gives you the choice of using it on offense or defense. Lets say no one decides to shoot you in a round. Now you have wasted your action by increasing your green dice and you dont have a focus for offense. This is the same argument as the Expose upgrade card. 3 red dice with a focus has better odds than 4 red dice and no focus.

The counter argument to all of this is of course is: Palob (who can steal your tokens) and Carnor (who can prevent you from taking or using focus tokens).

On 2/8/2017 at 2:35 PM, Parakitor said:

Poe Dameron [PS 9] (33)
Cool Hand (1)
BB-8 (2)
Black One (1)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

"Snap" Wexley (28)
Snap Shot (2)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (25)
M9-G8 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

TOTAL: 100

I posted the above squad in the Community X-wing 101 section*, and got to fly it last night. It is a BLAST! Despotic gave some really good advice above, and I wholeheartedly agree. (@despotic if you don't mind posting your squad, I'd be very interested to see it. I have been tweaking Poe, Snap, and Jess since Heroes of the Resistance came out, and have been having more success than failure).

Here's the thing about Snap. People are reluctant to fly him with Jess because his free boost on a 2-, 3-, or 4-speed maneuver causes him to break formation from her. Same can be said about BB-8 on Poe. However, in my experience these abilities are instrumental in getting them back into range 1 of Jess after they split up. Snap with Pattern Analyzer can do some really crazy maneuvers.

Last night was the first time I tried M9-G8 on Poe Jess, and I am now a believer. I usually have BB-8 Push the Limit Poe, but with M9-G8, Poe doesn't need the Target Lock, so I gave him Cool Hand to allow him to get a focus on a red maneuver if there's a round where he needs to do that. It's not top-tier competitive, but it works.

Okay, enough rambling about my squad. Let's talk about your squad, MonkeyInSpace. I think it's good. R2-F2 on Jess is one I hadn't thought of, but if it's 3 dice and she gets rerolls, then she ought to be well protected. The flip side, of course is that your opponent is likely to leave her for last, and target your other ships instead. Wired is an interesting choice on Poe, and once again, one I hadn't considered. I am supposing that your intent is to allow you to reroll a focus result if you happen to roll two focus: change one with Poe's ability, and reroll the other so you can have your focus token for R5-P9. Not a bad way to go, I think. You should definitely give your squad a try, and let us know how it goes. I'm guessing you won't be thrilled with R2-F2, and will find M9-G8 to be superior, but that's just my biased experience.

In my opinion, T-70s are at their strongest when they are zipping all over the battlefield. It makes me wonder why Poe said about the Special Forces TIE, "This thing really moves!", when his T-70 REALLY MOVES!

*In X-wing 101, we build squads that can be put together for just $101 MSRP. The squad I posted above can be built with just the TFA Core Set, T-70 expansion pack, and Heroes of the Resistance expansion pack. 

Edited by Parakitor
Poe, Jess, same thing, right?

9 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I posted the above squad in the Community X-wing 101 section*, and got to fly it last night. It is a BLAST! Despotic gave some really good advice above, and I wholeheartedly agree. (@despotic if you don't mind posting your squad, I'd be very interested to see it. I have been tweaking Poe, Snap, and Jess since Heroes of the Resistance came out, and have been having more success than failure).

Here's the thing about Snap. People are reluctant to fly him with Jess because his free boost on a 2-, 3-, or 4-speed maneuver causes him to break formation from her. Same can be said about BB-8 on Poe. However, in my experience these abilities are instrumental in getting them back into range 1 of Jess after they split up. Snap with Pattern Analyzer can do some really crazy maneuvers.

Last night was the first time I tried M9-G8 on Poe, and I am now a believer. I usually have BB-8 Push the Limit Poe, but with M9-G8, Poe doesn't need the Target Lock, so I gave him Cool Hand to allow him to get a focus on a red maneuver if there's a round where he needs to do that. It's not top-tier competitive, but it works.

Okay, enough rambling about my squad. Let's talk about your squad, MonkeyInSpace. I think it's good. R2-F2 on Jess is one I hadn't thought of, but if it's 3 dice and she gets rerolls, then she ought to be well protected. The flip side, of course is that your opponent is likely to leave her for last, and target your other ships instead. Wired is an interesting choice on Poe, and once again, one I hadn't considered. I am supposing that your intent is to allow you to reroll a focus result if you happen to roll two focus: change one with Poe's ability, and reroll the other so you can have your focus token for R5-P9. Not a bad way to go, I think. You should definitely give your squad a try, and let us know how it goes. I'm guessing you won't be thrilled with R2-F2, and will find M9-G8 to be superior, but that's just my biased experience.

In my opinion, T-70s are at their strongest when they are zipping all over the battlefield. It makes me wonder why Poe said about the Special Forces TIE, "This thing really moves!", when his T-70 REALLY MOVES!

*In X-wing 101, we build squads that can be put together for just $101 MSRP. The squad I posted above can be built with just the TFA Core Set, T-70 expansion pack, and Heroes of the Resistance expansion pack. 

I'm pretty sure adrenaline rush is better than cool hand. It does essentially the same thing but u don't end up with a stress token

13 minutes ago, TBot said:

I'm pretty sure adrenaline rush is better than cool hand. It does essentially the same thing but u don't end up with a stress token

Two things. First and foremost, this is an X-wing 101 squad, so it only uses components from 3 expansion packs totalling less than $101 USD. As such, I can't take Adrenaline Rush without breaking the rules.

Second, there's a hidden advantage in this loadout for Poe. After a Koiogran Turn or Tallon Roll, I would normally get a single action with Adrenaline Rush. Cool Hand gives me a free focus token, but Poe can still perform a boost action even while stressed because of Primed Thrusters, which is pretty darn cool! Primed Thrusters also lets Poe use the pre-maneuver barrel roll granted by BB-8, even while stressed, so that stress token isn't so bad.

It's certainly not how I would build Poe if I have my whole collection at my disposal, but it's nice to try completely new things, and I was pleasantly surprised with how these T-70s flew.

11 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Of course. Here's the latest triple X-Wing list that I've used:

Poe Dameron (PS9) + Predator + R5-P9 + Integrated Astromech (39 pts)

"Snap" Wexley + R2-D2 + Primed Thrusters + Veteran Instincts + Integrated Astromech (34 pts)

Jess Pava + R2-D6 + Crack Shot + Integrated Astromech (27 pts)

It's a lot more defensive than the list you mentioned for X-Wing 101, but it still works well. Rugged and reliable, somewhat mobile, threats are well distributed. Poe can also easily be dropped to PS8 for an initiative bid or Autothrusters/Vectored Thrusters. I think Predator is outdated though.

10 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Two things. First and foremost, this is an X-wing 101 squad, so it only uses components from 3 expansion packs totalling less than $101 USD. As such, I can't take Adrenaline Rush without breaking the rules.

Second, there's a hidden advantage in this loadout for Poe. After a Koiogran Turn or Tallon Roll, I would normally get a single action with Adrenaline Rush. Cool Hand gives me a free focus token, but Poe can still perform a boost action even while stressed because of Primed Thrusters, which is pretty darn cool! Primed Thrusters also lets Poe use the pre-maneuver barrel roll granted by BB-8, even while stressed, so that stress token isn't so bad.

It's certainly not how I would build Poe if I have my whole collection at my disposal, but it's nice to try completely new things, and I was pleasantly surprised with how these T-70s flew.

Oh ok sorry didnt realize you were constrained by 101. I stand corrected on Cool hand as well, you have found a neat double action talon roll there.

9 hours ago, despotic said:

Of course. Here's the latest triple X-Wing list that I've used:

Poe Dameron (PS9) + Predator + R5-P9 + Integrated Astromech (39 pts)

"Snap" Wexley + R2-D2 + Primed Thrusters + Veteran Instincts + Integrated Astromech (34 pts)

Jess Pava + R2-D6 + Crack Shot + Integrated Astromech (27 pts)

It's a lot more defensive than the list you mentioned for X-Wing 101, but it still works well. Rugged and reliable, somewhat mobile, threats are well distributed. Poe can also easily be dropped to PS8 for an initiative bid or Autothrusters/Vectored Thrusters. I think Predator is outdated though.

Interesting. It's been a long, long time since I have flown regen X-wings - or regen anything, for that matter. I mostly play Imperial, and I fell in love with TIE interceptors the moment Imperial Aces was announced. I really dig their maneuverability, and their incredible speed. I think that's why I am drawn to BB-8 Poe and my new friend, Snap Wexley. Their ability to traverse the map, and weave among the obstacles is remarkable, and is one of the most fun ways to enjoy X-wing for me. Here's my squad's current iteration.

Poe Dameron (PS9)
-Push the Limit
-BB-8
-Integrated Astromech
-Black One
-Primed Thrusters

"Snap" Wexley
-Snap Shot
-Targeting Astromech
-Integrated Astromech
-Pattern Analyzer

Jess Pava
-R2-D6
-Trick Shot
-Integrated Astromech

I think there are a lot more ways to adjust this squad, but I like it well enough. As I said before, I really need to get Nien on the board and see how he does for me.

You guys have inspired me to put a Triple T-70 list together.  It's gotta at least start as a formation and try to get in close for a joust.  I figure it can survive a decent amount of K-turning and T-rolling to maintain arcs. 

Nien Nunb (29)
Elusiveness (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (25)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Adaptability (0)
R5-P9 (3)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Black One (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

5 minutes ago, gennataos said:

You guys have inspired me to put a Triple T-70 list together.  It's gotta at least start as a formation and try to get in close for a joust.  I figure it can survive a decent amount of K-turning and T-rolling to maintain arcs. 

Nien Nunb (29)
Elusiveness (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Jess Pava (25)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Adaptability (0)
R5-P9 (3)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Black One (1)

Oh man! If you had Elusiveness on Nien, and M9-G8 on Jess, think of how frustrating that could be for your opponent, rerolling two of their dice! Seriously, I am wondering if the dice rerolls from M9-G8 might offset the regen capabilities of R2-D2, especially in conjunction with Elusiveness. Looks pretty good, though how it is. Elusiveness doesn't get much love, but I love it on Nien!

10 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Oh man! If you had Elusiveness on Nien, and M9-G8 on Jess, think of how frustrating that could be for your opponent, rerolling two of their dice! Seriously, I am wondering if the dice rerolls from M9-G8 might offset the regen capabilities of R2-D2, especially in conjunction with Elusiveness. Looks pretty good, though how it is. Elusiveness doesn't get much love, but I love it on Nien!

Oh...interesting.  I hadn't considered M9-G8 on Jess, but I do like that...a lot.  Also, keep in mind that at range 1, Nien can cause infinite re-rolls against attacks on him.  He picks one die, it gets re-rolled, then gains a stress.  Because he's at range 1, he discards that stress.  Now he can do it again.  There's nothing on the card which indicates it's once per round.  It's a nasty trick I saw on a video (38:30) which gave me a real "AH HA!" moment.

Edited by gennataos

****...yes...I like the versatility of M9-G8, now that you've mentioned it.  I can TL a friendly to start then switch it to an opposing ship if I want additional defense. Now the question is, what do I do with that newfound point?  Do I give Poe VI?  Do I shave off another point to give someone AT?  To get that extra point, I could dump Primed Thrusters on Nien, but I like that for getting him at range 1.  I could also dump the title on Poe, but I like that for pulling off TL for the whole group.  Hmmmmm...thoughts?

15 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Also, keep in mind that at range 1, Nien can cause infinite re-rolls against attacks on him.

I believe the rules prevent this kind of loophole. Under "Card Abilities" in the rule reference document:

"A card ability cannot be resolved more than once during the timing specified on the card. For example, a card with the timing of “when defending” cannot be resolved twice by the defender during a single attack."

And Elusiveness says, "When defending," so only once per attack. Still, it's pretty darn good for anti-crit insurance, if nothing else. You end up without stress, so you've got nothing to lose.

As to the remaining point, it does seem a little silly to dump VI on Poe, when there exists a PS 9 version, but I think that's your best bet. That, or settle for PS 9 Adaptability, and take the one point for initiative. The only other thing I'd consider is Crack Shot on Poe.

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

I believe the rules prevent this kind of loophole. Under "Card Abilities" in the rule reference document:

And Elusiveness says, "When defending," so only once per attack. Still, it's pretty darn good for anti-crit insurance, if nothing else. You end up without stress, so you've got nothing to lose.

As to the remaining point, it does seem a little silly to dump VI on Poe, when there exists a PS 9 version, but I think that's your best bet. That, or settle for PS 9 Adaptability, and take the one point for initiative. The only other thing I'd consider is Crack Shot on Poe.

****, bummer. It's still good for Nien, just not amazing. Humph. Well, it can work for multiple ships even at further range, since he only needs 1 enemy ship at range 1 in arc. 

I've got 

Poe - 37

- PTL, BB8, IA, Black One (may swap for primed thrusters)

Nunb - 37

- Rage, R3A2,IA, PA, EI

Jess - 26

- R2D6, Trick shot, IA

I haven't tested it at all, but I used to love flying triple t-65 (still do!) and fancied modernising my list. Lots of good ideas on here :)

Awesome - I actually came here to start a new thread on this exact topic, only to find this. So much good input. Looks like Jess, Nien and Poe are a strong bid for a trio. Here's my suggestion: 

Jess Pava (25)
R2-D6 (1)
A Score to Settle (0)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (29)
Push the Limit (3)
R3-A2 (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Black One (1)

I flew this tri a while back to devastating effect, ran poe close to jess and started off with M9 TL on poe, then i later switched it to my opponents ace to force his rerolls. Nien i decided to sideswipe with to trigger snapshot/R3 onto the enemy, once he was double stressed he lost his dice modification, after that it was pretty straight forward. My only problem was the enemies quadjumper....put poe on a rock 3 times, and kept him out of the fight for 5 rounds... but the other 2 did just fine losing all shields and 1 damage each

REBEL

100 points

PILOTS

Jess Pava (28)
T-70 X-Wing (25), M9-G8 (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (33)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Snap Shot (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (PS8 Version) (39)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Pattern Analyzer (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

Okay, thought experiment: How in the galaxy would 3 T-70s take on Dash Rendar in, for example, a Dash/Miranda squad? How would you kit them out? What tactics would you employ?

Here are some of my thoughts. First, Nien with R3-A2 seems really good to double-stress Dash, and allow your squad to reach the safety of range 1 and destroy him. Of course, Dash will be hiding in obstacles, so it may take a couple of turns to get there. Snap Shot Nien w/ R3-A2 probably won't do any good because Dash will never let you get that range 1 shot. Or is there a way to orchestrate it? I'm thinking perhaps using VI and Adaptability liberally to out PS him, so you could boost to get shots (again, Snap Shot not very helpful?). Which of course would require Autothrusters, because his HLC will be tearing them to shreds. Or is PS even that important? Could one of the squads listed above realistically contend with Dash/Miranda? Snap Wexley will be good for chasing Dash: 4 straight + free boost, then focus or Target lock. Does he need VI so he can move after Dash?

As you may have surmised, I really hate Dash Rendar. I don't think he's broken. I don't think he needs a fix. I just really struggle against good Dash players, and I'm tired of it. It's time to fight back. And maybe T-70s aren't the best way to do that, but I figure if we're talking about "viable" T-70 squads, we might as well think of some potentially tough match ups.

Here's one idea.

Nien Nunb (29)
-Snap Shot (2)
-R3-A2 (2)
-Autothrusters (2)
-Black One (1)

"Snap" Wexley (28)
-Trick Shot (0)
-Targeting Astromech (2)
-Autothrusters (2)
-Pattern Analyzer (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
-Trick Shot (0)
-BB-8 (2)
-Autothrusters (2)

I figure Snap Shot on Nien can at least make a pretty clear 'no fly zone' for Dash, no matter who has initiative. Both Snap and Red Sq. Vet have Trick Shot because Dash likes to hide in debris clusters and asteroid fields, so this ought to help push damage through. And since Red Sq. Vet is less maneuverable than Snap, I gave him BB-8 so he could pop out from behind an obstacle to execute a maneuver if necessary. I could easily drop Snap Shot from Nien to give him Adaptability and Snap could take Veteran Instincts, with 1 point left over for...something. Maybe Primed Thrusters on Nien or something.

I'm also thinking about Jess + M9-G8 instead of the Red Vet. If she can TL Dash, then suddenly she becomes as big a threat as Nien Nunb.

P.S. Or is regen the way to go, and I'm just being too stubborn?

Parakitor, I think the combination of R3-A2, M9-G8 and Black One title would go a long way in pulling Dash's offense down.

Take away his TL, prevent him from using PTL, and reroll one of his hits. Three 6-health, 2-defense ships (7 health with IA) are tough to chew through if you are only landing 1-2 hits per turn.

As for Miranda, M9-G8 works on both her TLT shots, stress limits her slam options and Black One eliminates her ability to fire her homing missiles.