Jump to content
Darth Poopdeck

What do you use to lug your books around?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bradknowles said:

If I had the money, I wouldn’t mind buying second copies of a number of books, then carefully slicing up the ones that aren’t in such good shape and scanning them in.  But then you have to OCR the text, and even now OCR isn’t all that good.

Of course, after scanning I would take all the loose pages and put them into page covers, so that I could put multiple books together into a single binder.

 

Man, I wish they had e-book or PDF versions we could buy.  I’d be more than happy to buy a second copy of each, just to have good clean copies that were made to be electronic (and searchable) from the beginning.  :(

The stupid thing is the PDF's already exist, its part of their workflow. If only Disney/LFL had a way to allow PDF sales as part of the RPG line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bradknowles said:

If I had the money, I wouldn’t mind buying second copies of a number of books, then carefully slicing up the ones that aren’t in such good shape and scanning them in.  But then you have to OCR the text, and even now OCR isn’t all that good.

Of course, after scanning I would take all the loose pages and put them into page covers, so that I could put multiple books together into a single binder.

 

Man, I wish they had e-book or PDF versions we could buy.  I’d be more than happy to buy a second copy of each, just to have good clean copies that were made to be electronic (and searchable) from the beginning.  :(

Yeah, the thought of buying second copies to take apart and digitize has crossed my mind a few times. I'd only do it if I could find dirt cheap second copies, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Yeah, the thought of buying second copies to take apart and digitize has crossed my mind a few times. I'd only do it if I could find dirt cheap second copies, though.

You can get those on eBay.  That’s assuming you trust the sellers on eBay to be actually selling you real copies of real books, and not just half-empty broken boxes.

 

For me, it’s not so much the cost.  It’s more the thought of doing something like that to books.

It just seems like it should be a serious crime, with automatic jail time and everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bradknowles said:

You can get those on eBay.  That’s assuming you trust the sellers on eBay to be actually selling you real copies of real books, and not just half-empty broken boxes.

 

For me, it’s not so much the cost.  It’s more the thought of doing something like that to books.

It just seems like it should be a serious crime, with automatic jail time and everything.

Words cannot express my horror when I learned how book stores "return" unsold books, comics, magazines, etc.

However, that's part of why I'd want dirt cheap copies...maybe even ones with totally jacked up covers...salvaging the contents of the books to preserve their content. Life-saving surgery, if you will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.3.2017 at 2:21 AM, HappyDaze said:

FFG has produced the lines the way it has so we can experience the joys of Encumbrance IRL. Yet somehow wearing multiple backpacks doesn't make the books any easier to bear...

Actually it does … I sometimes do take ALL the books with me ;-)

 

For the scanning, ripping appart is not necessary when you use a book scanner. Our city library has some slow system which you can use free of charge, though if you have some spare money there are always fast systems too …

iirc the fasted one I could fine over at the state library would be scanning at 2500 pages per hour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 7:46 PM, SEApocalypse said:

Actually it does … I sometimes do take ALL the books with me ;-)

 

For the scanning, ripping appart is not necessary when you use a book scanner. Our city library has some slow system which you can use free of charge, though if you have some spare money there are always fast systems too …

iirc the fasted one I could fine over at the state library would be scanning at 2500 pages per hour. 

Turns out one of the libraries near us has one of these, too. I might have to make a trip there soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bradknowles said:

Hmm.  That is quite tempting!  I might decide to give them a try….

Please share your experience with us - I too am tempted by this but I'm hoping to find someone in my neck of the woods so I don't have to ship 400lbs of books cross-country.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, themensch said:

Please share your experience with us - I too am tempted by this but I'm hoping to find someone in my neck of the woods so I don't have to ship 400lbs of books cross-country.  

If I do decide to take advantage of this service, it would only be with my spare copies of books.  I wouldn’t want to risk my sole copy of anything, at least not until I see how the whole process works and I get my books back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually.... I've just remembered seeing a scanning pen (for students and researchers). You use it like a highlighter pen then upload to a Word or OpenOffice Text document,,, would take BLOODY AGES to scan everything though.

EDIT: They're over £100 - stuff that LOL

Edited by ExpandingUniverse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...