Darth Poopdeck

What do you use to lug your books around?

11 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Sure. But the question was, why one needs the books to begin with (when using OggDude's software). The answer is to (legally) have access to the actual data. :D

That wasn't the question.  The question was why you need to carry the books around.  I definitely buy them all, but they are never open during the game.  Needed charts can be presented as handouts, etc.

And you don't have to do all the typing yourself, full datasets are available...

59 minutes ago, whafrog said:

That wasn't the question.  The question was why you need to carry the books around.  I definitely buy them all, but they are never open during the game.  Needed charts can be presented as handouts, etc.

And you don't have to do all the typing yourself, full datasets are available...

My misread of the question.

4 hours ago, Ferretfur said:

When i was running a AoR "away game" i ended up using a travel bag complete with handle and wheels, so essentially a suitcase. My neighbors must have thought i was travelling a lot.

This is what I do. Picked up the habit (and got over the shame) during grad school. Nothing like toting a half-dozen casebooks around. Works great for game books too. 

Standard carry-on bags work great. I found a used one with a hard shell and I tore out most of the webbing and strappy crap on the inside. 

43 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Now those trunks are cool for cars. Terrible for bikes or the subway, but nonetheless very cool when driving over for a session. ^-^

They would be rather cool as semi-permanent storage solution in a club or flgs. 

One of those is what our Disney Infinity figures are in.

On 2/27/2017 at 4:03 PM, Nytwyng said:

For the actual details of the Talents, etc that Oggy can't legally include? :)

You enter those into the handy data editor...He can't provide them. That does not mean you can't enter them in  your self.

1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

You enter those into the handy data editor...He can't provide them. That does not mean you can't enter them in  your self.

Yes, I understand. That was my point (in my misread of the question).

A noob game "squire" perhaps? That person who really wants to come to the game sessions to learn how to play so you mentor him/her while telling them payment is in the form of being your squire/padawan to haul all of the books, bring snacks, etc?  :D Too dark side?

Edited by Sturn

19 hours ago, Sturn said:

A noob game "squire" perhaps? That person who really wants to come to the game sessions to learn how to play so you mentor him/her while telling them payment is in the form of being your squire/padawan to haul all of the books, bring snacks, etc?  :D Too dark side?

Not at all, in fact I like the way you think. Unfortunately my group is composed of veteran gamers who would laugh me out of court if I even suggested the idea, and our table is rather full for a new player ( and I do mean literally, there have been weeks where we have to eat our way through some of the snacks just so there's enough room for character sheets).

I bike about 10-15 minutes to play at a building on campus, so it's not too bad and everything fits in flat.  I typically bring my laptop, and the EotE core book along with a manila folder with a few spare character sheets (never know when someone wants to join - or dies) and a pair of printouts for action reference for how to spend advantage, maneuvers and actions, etc.  I fit this all in an old medic bag I got at a surplus store some time ago, and it fits really well - the backpack itself is just one big pocked, but it has a divider in the back, with a mesh 'pouch' at the top where I keep my dice in a little box, and a waterproof plastic pocket where I keep a few pens in the event they explode.  The only thing I require from my players is that they print out any talent trees they are using to have attached with their character sheets.  If they like, they can bring books too - so long as there is some way to verify what an ability can do if it seems to conflict with something, I don't mind how it's done.  Generally this saves anyone having to carry too much.

I've seen a colleague use these things to transport all her exercise books for marking to and from her car in the morning - best idea ever! I dare say you can get them a lot cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-34L-Rolling-Shopping-Trolley-Basket-On-Wheels-for-Shops-Supermarkets-/262310009007?var=&hash=item3d12e518af:m:m-PAtmIlaEtMG-mR_ENlJLg

9 hours ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

I've seen a colleague use these things to transport all her exercise books for marking to and from her car in the morning - best idea ever! I dare say you can get them a lot cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-34L-Rolling-Shopping-Trolley-Basket-On-Wheels-for-Shops-Supermarkets-/262310009007?var=&hash=item3d12e518af:m:m-PAtmIlaEtMG-mR_ENlJLg

I’m sure that works fine for Yoga materials, but if you’ve got two or three shelves worth of gaming books that you’re trying to lug around, that’s not going to work so well.  You need something that is more book-friendly.

16 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

FFG has produced the lines the way it has so we can experience the joys of Encumbrance IRL. Yet somehow wearing multiple backpacks doesn't make the books any easier to bear...

If only they'd statted out that gravity belt, eh?

9 hours ago, Grimmerling said:

My tablet PC; I have them ripped apart and digitalised.

If I had the money, I wouldn’t mind buying second copies of a number of books, then carefully slicing up the ones that aren’t in such good shape and scanning them in.  But then you have to OCR the text, and even now OCR isn’t all that good.

Of course, after scanning I would take all the loose pages and put them into page covers, so that I could put multiple books together into a single binder.

Man, I wish they had e-book or PDF versions we could buy.  I’d be more than happy to buy a second copy of each, just to have good clean copies that were made to be electronic (and searchable) from the beginning.  :(