Shadow345

Could they save the game by getting rid of the scum faction?

2 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

I wish I could believe this was the bottom of the barrel of "fix threads". But there are probably even worse ideas. 

Hey, we can go back to talking about flappy S-Foils and comparing Rogue Squadron titles if you like.

Bravo Shadow 345, bravo I say! I couldn't disagree more, but Just like your time to release x-wing 2.0 thread you'll write a single  inflammatory sentence in the original post then completely ignore the thread as others bicker for 5 plus pages. You sir are a master at your craft.

Sigh. I've got no love for scum, but removing a whole faction from the game, at this point, are you f'ing kidding me?

FFG needs to stop the power creep, stop creeping the scum ships especially, and fix/errata the **** jumpmaster. Mindlink is a joke too since stress means nothing these days.

30 minutes ago, Clancampbell said:

...Mindlink is a joke too since stress means nothing these days.

...amazing seeing people saying this, considering just how widely derided/ignored Mindlink was upon it's release. Shared stress still limits your list's movement options, and prevents repositioning actions.

There's nothing quite like a good old kneejerk reaction though, is there?

16 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

...amazing seeing people saying this, considering just how widely derided/ignored Mindlink was upon it's release. Shared stress still limits your list's movement options, and prevents repositioning actions.

There's nothing quite like a good old kneejerk reaction though, is there?

Pft, everyone knows that Attanni Mindlink gives you special powers to ignore stress entirely.  It certainly allows Assajj to move her Mobile Firing Arc while stressed, and Fenn still gets to boost while stressed!

Oh wait, no, neither of those things can happen while they are stressed.  Is it time for the return of the Stressbot, Rebel players?  Maybe the new ARC version instead?  Imperials?  Maybe you find a few points on the new shuttle for a Rebel captive?  Maybe Agent Krasus takes a backseat to a Tactician again?

Yes, Mindlink lets Scum still get their focus tokens, but that is ALL it gives them.  Unless they are going to seriously limit their movement by going green-only on everyone.  I wil take that trade off.

You know, I'm not even one of those bitching about Mindlink, but this Strawman you're building here is just so fun to wack at!

24 minutes ago, streamdragon said:

Pft, everyone knows that Attanni Mindlink gives you special powers to ignore stress entirely.  It certainly allows Assajj to move her Mobile Firing Arc while stressed, and Fenn still gets to boost while stressed!

Nobody said entirely. Gyroscopic Targeting allows Assajj to move the arc while stressed. Fenn can still get 5 dice + Focus + CDP Evade + AT, which is what he's wanted for, not his Boost action.

26 minutes ago, streamdragon said:

Oh wait, no, neither of those things can happen while they are stressed.  Is it time for the return of the Stressbot, Rebel players?  Maybe the new ARC version instead?  Imperials?  Maybe you find a few points on the new shuttle for a Rebel captive?  Maybe Agent Krasus takes a backseat to a Tactician again?

The Stressbot means something between jack and **** when the opposing list gets its tokens around Stress. Mindlink does not pass stress if the linked ships already have a token. Tactician, Rebel Captive, your Kung-Fu is no good here.

4 minutes ago, kris40k said:

You know, I'm not even one of those bitching about Mindlink, but this Strawman you're building here is just so fun to wack at!

Nobody said entirely. Gyroscopic Targeting allows Assajj to move the arc while stressed. Fenn can still get 5 dice + Focus + CDP Evade + AT, which is what he's wanted for, not his Boost action.

What even are these 'rebuttals'? Gyroscopic targeting is taken about 0% of the time because it's awful and you just listed a feature kit of Fenn Rau unless you think he can get both the title and autothrusters at the same time which is impossible.

Fenn is very action dependant and barring some exceptional flying will almost always want for a repositioning action since his power level is extremely varied depending on arc and range.

+1 for the name dropping a 'logical fallacy' though, that's a classic if internet arguing 101.

1 minute ago, nigeltastic said:

What even are these 'rebuttals'? Gyroscopic targeting is taken about 0% of the time because it's awful and you just listed a feature kit of Fenn Rau unless you think he can get both the title and autothrusters at the same time which is impossible.

Not impossible just a very rare edge case where fenn is being shot by a PWT turret and his closest point is out of arc but he's still range one in their arc

3 minutes ago, DeathstarII said:

Not impossible just a very rare edge case where fenn is being shot by a PWT turret and his closest point is out of arc but he's still range one in their arc

No, autothrusters is still off then. See the FAQ:

Inside Firing Arc at Range X
Some card abilities use the expression “inside firing arc at Range X” or “inside 
firing arc beyond Range X.” This compound phrase defines a specific situation 
where the closest point to closest point distance between two ships, when 
measured inside firing arc, is at a specific range band. See the diagram 
below.

So the condition of being in arc at range 1 and outside of arc or in arc beyond range 2 are mutually exclusive. It doesn't matter if the shot you're receiving 'comes from an arc' or not. Case in point, autothrusters is deactivated when being shot by a tlt range 2 behind the ghost regardless of if it has title and a phantom docked.

18 minutes ago, kris40k said:

The Stressbot means something between jack and **** when the opposing list gets its tokens around Stress. Mindlink does not pass stress if the linked ships already have a token. Tactician, Rebel Captive, your Kung-Fu is no good here.

I am not the one pretending that AM passing a single Focus token is somehow making ships invulnerable to stress. Saying "stress still causes issues for AM lists", the crux of my post, is true.  A stressed ship is still limited.

Gyroscopic Targetting allowing Assajj to move her mobile arc during the end phase does not help if she needs to stress a ship during her combat phase to activate Latts.  Being stressed ALSO means that Assajj is unable to take the evade action.

Pretending that Fenn does not often need to boost or barrell roll, just "be in R1" is just being dishonest, especially when you are giving him 5 dice (presumably R3 unless you're presupposing an obstacle without saying) AND somehow giving him CDP.

I am not saying those upgrades will make the match an auto-win.  I am saying that ignoring an action-denying mechanic while complaining about an action dependant list is being short sighted.

9 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

That seems to be the faction causing the power creep issues.

Currently perhaps, but it's not like other factions haven't had power creep in the past.

4 hours ago, Jedu said:

I think that I know what Shadow 345 meant by posting this topic.

Try to imagine how would this game look like now if there were no scum faction at all.

I know that a lot of people love this faction and fly it exclusively. On the other hand I feel that bringing the third faction in some way created chaos. Firstly, I feel that scum is a "troll" faction, focused to mess with other faction abilities and strenghts in a manner, which is annoying for the other player (Zuckuss, too many dice thrown by Fenn Rau). I really, really don't like playing against scum as it feels like I'm lost from the start due to their dirty tricks which feels for me like cheating (that is what I feel).

Secondly, which is in my opinion a bigger issue, balancing a three faction game is near to impossible. The designers have to be perfect to balance everything, to allow every faction to win every game. Do you know StarCraft? This is probably the only game, which has 3 totally different factions, but so perfectly balanced, that every faction can win against the two others. In the gamestate as of now, the easiest faction to win with is scum. The second is probably Empire (Palp Aces/Defenders) and on the last spot there is rebellion. I think that the scum faction isn't guilty by itself, but it is mainly an issue of bringing balance (to the Force ;)) in the game with three totally different and unique factions. If there were only empire and rebellion, it would be so much easier to make the game balanced, without lessening its diversity too much.

I don't mean to insult or make anyone angry. That's just my opinion and I myself wouldn't hurt if x-wing were only about empire and rebellion.

Fenn rau doesn't throw any more dice than the tie phantom, or the ghost, or the upsilon shuttle.  Or hell, talonbane cobra, and look how often HE'S used.