Shadow345

Could they save the game by getting rid of the scum faction?

By that logic, the Rebels should have been banned when Fat Turrets became a problem and The Impe during the Pre-Nerf Phantom era. Simply removing a growing, vibrant part of the game would only drive people away and sends a bad message. I'd prefer FFG to find ways to address issues creatively and carefully, not wielding a ban hammer like like a maniac.

I'd prefer if they just culled all the fugly, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff like the Scyk, and divvied up stuff like the Fang Fighter, and Hound's Tooth into the Rebel and Imperial factions. Like what they've done in Armada.

But that's just me.

Edited by CRCL

34 minutes ago, CRCL said:

I'd prefer if they just culled all the fugly, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff like the Scyk, and divvied up stuff like the Fang Fighter, and Hound's Tooth into the Rebel and Imperial factions. Like what they've done in Armada.

But that's just me.

A bit out of the topic but said fugly, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff might become heroes of the new meta in a few hours...

43 minutes ago, CRCL said:

But that's just me.

Yes please, I too would love to run Fenn Rau with Palpatine :)

Also, Emperor on the Party Bus :D

Hmmm, you know what I've noticed? Nobody complains when things go according to the meta! Even if the meta is boring! If, at Regionals, Rey/Norra wins, or Commonwealth Defenders win, no-one cares because it's all part of the meta. But old Para comes up with Paratanni and it wins a couple of System Opens and everybody loses their minds!

Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. Oh and you know the thing about chaos?

Edited by FTS Gecko

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Hmmm, you know what I've noticed? Nobody complains when things go according to the meta! Even if the meta is boring! If, at Regionals, Rey/Norra wins, or Commonwealth Defenders win, no-one cares because it's all part of the meta. But old Para comes up with Paratanni and it wins a couple of System Opens and everybody loses their minds!

Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. Oh and you know the thing about chaos?

You're an agent of chaos?

Do I need to call the hero this forum deserves, but not needs right now?

This would piss so many people off. I assume there are numerous people that play scum only and compete at tournaments. You'd be completely taking away all of their options to "fix" something that doesn't really seem to be a problem. I don't, nor do I ever intend to, compete in tournaments. This would have absolutely no affect on me and I'd still hate to see it happen; I think it would be bad for the game, make a lot of people unhappy, and not make very many people happy in return. 

Edited by benskywalker

I think the game would be fixed by getting rid of the following ships:

• TIE Fighter
  • TIE Advanced
  • TIE Interceptor
  • Firespray-31
  • TIE Bomber
  • Lambda-Class Shuttle
  • TIE Defender
  • TIE Phantom
  • VT-49 Decimator
  • TIE Punisher
  • TIE/fo Fighter
  • TIE Advanced Prototype
  • TIE/sf Fighter
  • Upsilon-class Shuttle
  • TIE Striker
  • T-65 X-Wing
  • Y-Wing
  • A-Wing
  • YT-1300
  • B-Wing
  • HWK-290
  • Z-95 Headhunter
  • E-Wing
  • YT-2400
  • K-Wing
  • T-70 X-Wing
  • VCX-100
  • Attack Shuttle
  • ARC-170
  • Sabine's TIE Fighter
  • U-Wing
  • M3-A Interceptor
  • StarViper
  • Aggressor
  • Kihraxz Fighter
  • YV-666
  • G-1A Starfighter
  • JumpMaster 5000
  • Protectorate Starfighter
  • Lancer-Class Pursuit Craft
  • Quadjumper
  • Imperial Raider
  • Gozanti-Class Cruiser
  • Corellian Corvette CR90
  • Rebel Transport
  • C-ROC Cruiser

Without these, the game would be perfectly balanced.

Edited by haslo
removed duplicate ships (from Scum)

I think that I know what Shadow 345 meant by posting this topic.

Try to imagine how would this game look like now if there were no scum faction at all.

I know that a lot of people love this faction and fly it exclusively. On the other hand I feel that bringing the third faction in some way created chaos. Firstly, I feel that scum is a "troll" faction, focused to mess with other faction abilities and strenghts in a manner, which is annoying for the other player (Zuckuss, too many dice thrown by Fenn Rau). I really, really don't like playing against scum as it feels like I'm lost from the start due to their dirty tricks which feels for me like cheating (that is what I feel).

Secondly, which is in my opinion a bigger issue, balancing a three faction game is near to impossible. The designers have to be perfect to balance everything, to allow every faction to win every game. Do you know StarCraft? This is probably the only game, which has 3 totally different factions, but so perfectly balanced, that every faction can win against the two others. In the gamestate as of now, the easiest faction to win with is scum. The second is probably Empire (Palp Aces/Defenders) and on the last spot there is rebellion. I think that the scum faction isn't guilty by itself, but it is mainly an issue of bringing balance (to the Force ;)) in the game with three totally different and unique factions. If there were only empire and rebellion, it would be so much easier to make the game balanced, without lessening its diversity too much.

I don't mean to insult or make anyone angry. That's just my opinion and I myself wouldn't hurt if x-wing were only about empire and rebellion.

Edited by Jedu

1 hour ago, Jedu said:

Secondly, which is in my opinion a bigger issue, balancing a three faction game is near to impossible. The designers have to be perfect to balance everything, to allow every faction to win every game. Do you know StarCraft? This is probably the only game, which has 3 totally different factions, but so perfectly balanced, that every faction can win against the two others.

Let's pump the brakes here a minute. I know this is somewhat OT, but I have a very strong opinion about this.

When balancing a competitive multiplayer game, is it better to have three than two factions. Two factions can result in a game killing imbalance between the two factions. If there is a more powerful faction, and that imbalance is not caught and rectified very quickly, you can cause a player population shift (fair weather players) and even greater imbalance between the two factions resulting in a fail-state as the weaker side loses population and eventually faction loyalists bail from the game due to the obvious imbalance in game mechanics and now population.

With three factions, you exist in a state where even if one faction has a population advantage, the combined population between the other two factions typically outweighs it, preventing a runaway effect. You can also end up with a Paper -> Rock -> Scissors effect where even if one faction does have a game mechanic advantage over another, there is another faction that can have an advantage over it, and weakness against the other, if not parity with. Therefore one faction doesn't seem at a complete disadvantage for a period of time preventing the population landslide away from the weaker faction as its not fun to play.

Cases in point: Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) vs Warhammer Online (WAR). These two games were developed by the same developer, and used a very similar Realm v Realm structure. DAoC was widely lauded for its RvR system, which involved three sides, and carried a respectable population for many years. WAR was launched with the boost of having a very widely recognized and loved Intellectual Property (Warhammer Fantasy), but failed relatively quickly due to its two sided RvR system imbalances causing fair weather populations, further imbalances, and mass population loss until it eventually was closed.

TLDR; Three faction games allow for better balance than two faction games as the third faction can likely offset the imbalance between the other two.

Edited by kris40k