Sign in to follow this  
Chimpy

Advice for getting Lita using Roland solo

[Possible spoilers for the core set adventure]

I've got two core sets, and am playing Roland solo. I have no trouble completing the first scenario successfully from the core set, but doing it and getting Lita I find impossible. I need to evade the Ghoul Priest at least twice to move safely to the Parlour, but I can't get the agility to make the evades, and doing so loses an action anyway. It's quite frustrating. I wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

I've got 2 of Manual Dexterity and Hyperawareness in the deck, for the agility.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to win the first scenario and get Lita?

Yep, unless there's another monster in the hallway with you, you can do it in one turn:

Action 1: Evade the GP - this exhausts him and he will not move on the enemy phase
Action 2: Move with no penalty since the GP is exhausted and not engaged with you
Action 3: Parley with Lita

This is the preferable way to accomplish it.

Alternatively you could move from the Hallway to the Parlour and drag the GP with you, suffering one Attack of Opportunity and then you could parley with Lita as Parley does not trigger Attacks of Opportunity. You would also end up taking an attack in the Enemy Phase if you did not Evade which for Roland means you would have to have started the sequence with zero Horror or you would need an ally to dump some Horror damage onto as two attacks from the GP equals 4 Horror.

But also remember getting her in the scenario through Parley does not relate to whether you add her to your deck for later scenarios. 

8 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

you can do it in one turn:

Action 1: Evade the GP - this exhausts him and he will not move on the enemy phase
Action 2: Move with no penalty since the GP is exhausted and not engaged with you
Action 3: Parley with Lita

That's 3 actions and most characters including Roland have a budget of 2?

1 hour ago, Chimpy said:

That's 3 actions and most characters including Roland have a budget of 2?

Wait - what? Everyone gets three actions per round unless some other circumstance changes that.

2.2.1, page 24 of the rules:

During his or her turn, an investigator is permitted to take three
actions. An action can be used to do one of the following:

<omit action list>

The three actions an investigator performs during his
or her turn may be any of the above, in any order, and
may even be the same action three times in a row.

Edited by mjfilla

10 hours ago, mjfilla said:

Wait - what? Everyone gets three actions per round unless some other circumstance changes that.

2.2.1, page 24 of the rules:

During his or her turn, an investigator is permitted to take three
actions. An action can be used to do one of the following:

<omit action list>

The three actions an investigator performs during his
or her turn may be any of the above, in any order, and
may even be the same action three times in a row.

I think I may have misread the rules and been making my life difficult by thinking I had 2 actions per turn. If it's 3 then this is going to be so easy now.

On 2/26/2017 at 5:44 AM, mwmcintyre said:

Getting Lita in the scenario has no bearing on whether you get Lita in your deck for the rest of the campaign. Just FYI. :)

But if you don't get Lita in the first scenario, you don't get her for the rest of the campaign. The setup instructions for the other two scenarios don't add her to anyone's deck, which (spoiler alert) can make the third scenario more difficult since no one has her to sacrifice in that scenario to make it easier.

1 hour ago, HansZiegler said:

Yes, but getting Lita during scenario 1 has no bearing keeping her for the rest of the campaign. Even if you parlay with her, if you don't burn down your house, no one gets to put her in their deck.

It's true that parleying with Lita during the scenario doesn't add her to your deck, but there are three ways to add her to a player's deck.

2 hours ago, BD Flory said:

It's true that parleying with Lita during the scenario doesn't add her to your deck, but there are three ways to add her to a player's deck.

What are the three ways to add her? I assume one way would be to purchase her asset card with earned experience points. Another would be by making the appropriate choice at the end of the scenario (burning your house down), but what's the third way?

2 hours ago, jeremyj621 said:

What are the three ways to add her? I assume one way would be to purchase her asset card with earned experience points. Another would be by making the appropriate choice at the end of the scenario (burning your house down), but what's the third way?

You can't purchase her.

You can have everyone resign, and get the "no resolution" ending which adds her.

You can burn the house down and get "Resolution 1" which adds her.

Finally, you can stay in the house and get killed for "Resolution 3", making Lita find a new team of investigators, and you choose one to have Lita in her deck.

Edited by SuperMarino

Yes, I was referring to getting Lita during the scenario, not as part of the resolution, when I said it didn't matter. In fact, I believe the only way you DON'T get her added to someone's deck as part of the resolution is if you refuse to burn down your house.

If you want to successfully get her for the scenario, you don't have to evade the Ghoul Priest.  Just move to her and take an opportunity attack.  (It's nice to have the dog as an ally to soak up and deal some damage, btw).  Note that a parlay with Lita does not trigger an attack by the ghoul priest.  Then for action #3, you attack Mr. Ghoul.

Just make sure you are prepared.  Don't spend the clues to break the barrier until you've cycled through and got the gear you need (e.g. .38 special), and make sure your horror is topped before you try this.  You have a few extra turns here, I find, and you can probably deal with most random happenings in the deck.

Remember that while normally you spend clues to advance during your turn and you can use all clues from anyone no matter where they are, for this specific advancement you wait until the end of the entire round and everyone who is contributing clues MUST be in the hallway.