Sign in to follow this  
joezim007

2-Player Theoden Voltron Decks

Well, it was originally designed to make Tactics Theoden into the centerpiece, but I realized it made more sense to distribute some of the defensive capabilities. After a few variations and more testing than I usually get time for, I've settled on this pair of decks. I'd say more about it, but I already wrote it all out in the description on RingsDB: http://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/2163/thoden-s-aid

Any great ideas to improve this?

Interestingly, this is started because of the unique combination of NobleWarrior, and sentinel. With this combo you're allowed to have Armored Destrier, The Day's Rising, Heir of Mardil, and Captain of Gondor all attached. Now, Leadership Gimli has all of these traits/keywords, so he can be "Voltron'd" like this as well. He loses out on Golden Shield and Herugrim, but gets access to plenty of attachments asked at dwarves. Anyone got any cool ideas for Leadership Gimli Voltron decks?

8 hours ago, joezim007 said:

Interestingly, this is started because of the unique combination of NobleWarrior, and sentinel. With this combo you're allowed to have Armored Destrier, The Day's Rising, Heir of Mardil, and Captain of Gondor all attached. Now, Leadership Gimli has all of these traits/keywords, so he can be "Voltron'd" like this as well. He loses out on Golden Shield and Herugrim, but gets access to plenty of attachments asked at dwarves. Anyone got any cool ideas for Leadership Gimli Voltron decks?

You can try this with Gimli .. 

22 hours ago, joezim007 said:

Well, it was originally designed to make Tactics Theoden into the centerpiece, but I realized it made more sense to distribute some of the defensive capabilities. After a few variations and more testing than I usually get time for, I've settled on this pair of decks. I'd say more about it, but I already wrote it all out in the description on RingsDB: http://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/2163/thoden-s-aid

Any great ideas to improve this?

Problem with Golden Shield/Herugrim and Sterner than Steel .. If you exhaust Golden Shield for defensive and you might want to cancel a shadow card with Sterner than Steel you have to exhaust Herugrim. :-/

And as a Sentinel you might not engage optionally so Captain of Gondor is not often used ... Perhaps some Warnings/Marks do a better job.

22 hours ago, JanB said:

Problem with Golden Shield/Herugrim and Sterner than Steel .. If you exhaust Golden Shield for defensive and you might want to cancel a shadow card with Sterner than Steel you have to exhaust Herugrim. :-/

And as a Sentinel you might not engage optionally so Captain of Gondor is not often used ... Perhaps some Warnings/Marks do a better job.

I've found that even with sentinel, I prefer to engage the enemies on the side with the best defense. The sentinel is mostly a backup for when you can't engage them all or as a prerequisite for cards like The Day's Rising. Also, Captain of Gondor goes into one deck while the Dunedain signals would go into the other deck, so I can't just swap them.

I agree about Sterner Than Steel, but I usually didn't need Golden Shield or Herugrim (especially both) except with the strongest enemies. With the latest rendition of the decks, Denethor and Elfhelm have become the defenders, and with Gondorian Shield, this becomes a non-issue.

22 hours ago, JanB said:

You can try this with Gimli .. 

Yup I've seen this and I'm thinking about giving it a try.