CosmicCastawayA90

The Future of the Expanded Universe (Legends) in X-Wing Miniatures

11 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Even in that quote, it only refers to the post ROTJ stuff.  There is still a lot of EU that is covered that doesn't fit into that bracket. 

The only thing in that quote that refers to post ROTJ is that the new movies will tell a differnet story from the the old EU.  It literally goes on right after to talk about rebels, which is definitelyi not post-rotj...

While I tend to agree with Vander(sorry HeyChadwick)I really think the argument is unnecessary. Whether it really is "true until it isn't" or if it's "it's not  true until we make it true" the reality is that the only things that are canon are the films, The Clone Wars, Rebels, and any comics or novels printed after the Legends announcement.  So whether something is "true" or not is irrelevant.  Everything in the EU now has one of two fates. Either it will be invalidated by new canon or it will be taken to be reimagined into a new form and become new canon. Eventually nothing will with be able to be "true until it isn't" unless it is very remote or obscure and unimportant anyway.  Just enjoy the EU for what it was, one of the main reasons Star Wars stayed relevant during the times in the 80s and 90s when there was no movie in the theater. And be aware that Disney bought the franchise to make money and they will milk that cash cow for all it's worth.

9 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

While I tend to agree with Vander(sorry HeyChadwick)I really think the argument is unnecessary. Whether it really is "true until it isn't" or if it's "it's not  true until we make it true" the reality is that the only things that are canon are the films, The Clone Wars, Rebels, and any comics or novels printed after the Legends announcement.  So whether something is "true" or not is irrelevant.  Everything in the EU now has one of two fates. Either it will be invalidated by new canon or it will be taken to be reimagined into a new form and become new canon. Eventually nothing will with be able to be "true until it isn't" unless it is very remote or obscure and unimportant anyway.  Just enjoy the EU for what it was, one of the main reasons Star Wars stayed relevant during the times in the 80s and 90s when there was no movie in the theater. And be aware that Disney bought the franchise to make money and they will milk that cash cow for all it's worth.

And the reimagined form is unlikely to match the original.  So, IMHO, the EU is actually "untrue until it is again--sort of."

And I won't miss the idea of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

In Disney's defense, I do think they realize the baby they have decided to adopt, and are taking all due care with it.  So, they can gladly have my money, if they keep making movies like Rogue One.

5 minutes ago, YwingAce said:

Vong invasion isn't a bad idea. The problem with NJO was that it was an 18(?) book series written by a whole slew of writers who had no idea what they were doing, with stupid mandates from Lucas.

That pretty much describes the whole EU, except that they had to use the Vong as the enemy.

Just now, Darth Meanie said:

That pretty much describes the whole EU, except that they had to use the Vong as the enemy.

Yup you're right, every single series in the EU was an 18 book series by multiple authors. You truly have read the entire EU.

</sarcasm>

6 minutes ago, YwingAce said:

Yup you're right, every single series in the EU was an 18 book series by multiple authors. You truly have read the entire EU.

</sarcasm>

Actually I haven't ready much of the NJO stuff.  But the EU is a collection of numerous storylines, by numerous authors, all required to be set in the post-RotJ era, and all required by LFL to follow precedent/canon and get explicit permissions for story line ideas.  Sooooooo. . . .that's different how??

6 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Actually I haven't ready much of the NJO stuff.  But the EU is a collection of numerous storylines, by numerous authors, all required to be set in the post-RotJ era, and all required by LFL to follow precedent/canon and get explicit permissions for story line ideas.  Sooooooo. . . .that's different how??

I actually enjoyed the NJO for the most part, but if you can't see the difference between different stories and series written by different authors and 1 massive series written by a bunch of different authors...

The EU stopped being mostly post-ROTJ around the time the prequels started coming out - slowly but surely the non-post-ROTJ EU built up until it approached the size of the post-ROTJ EU.

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'll break this down statement by statement.

EU is a collection of numerous storylines

Duh, so is the Canon. Even the movies follow this.

by numerous authors

Again so is canon. Even the movies have different writers.

ll required to be set in the post-RotJ era

Uhhhh....... Knights of the Old Republic, Republic Commando, and numerous others disagree with you.

all required by LFL to follow precedent/canon and get explicit permissions for story line ideas

Umm, yea, that's actually a good thing. It means things stay consistent. And again, that's not different then any from new Canon. Only difference is new canon doesn't have to worry about Lucas messing with it.

I really can't tell the point you're trying to make? Saying my description of NJO is an analogy of the entire EU is silly. Of course everything is going to be written by different authors and tell different stories. That's the point of an EU in the first place. And the point of a canon is to make sure they all remain consistent. And the EU actually did a much better job at that then people give it credit for.

The point I was trying to make was that the reason I think people dislike NJO (I enjoyed alot of it though it definitely had problems) was that it was an 18 book series written by multiple authors who had no idea what they were doing because of Lucas, and didn't communicate with eachother very well. In other words, the Vong aren't bad, it was the execution of the storyline in which they appear that was bad.

3 hours ago, Ironlord said:

The EU stopped being mostly post-ROTJ around the time the prequels started coming out - slowly but surely the non-post-ROTJ EU built up until it approached the size of the post-ROTJ EU.

Yeah, I really wish Disney had made only the post RotJ stuff non canon. Only the post RotJ stuff is invalidated by the Sequel trilogy. The pre RotJ EU was unaffected. 

19 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

Yeah, I really wish Disney had made only the post RotJ stuff non canon. Only the post RotJ stuff is invalidated by the Sequel trilogy. The pre RotJ EU was unaffected. 

At the time maybe, and before rogue one came out.  Rogue one invalidates things from the EU as well that wasn't post-ROTJ, and I can all but guarantee the han solo movie will invalidate part or most of the han solo trilogy and han solo adventures

5 hours ago, VanderLegion said:

I actually enjoyed the NJO for the most part, but if you can't see the difference between different stories and series written by different authors and 1 massive series written by a bunch of different authors...

3 hours ago, YwingAce said:

I'll break this down statement by statement.

Duh, so is the Canon. Even the movies follow this.

Again so is canon. Even the movies have different writers.

Uhhhh....... Knights of the Old Republic, Republic Commando, and numerous others disagree with you.

Umm, yea, that's actually a good thing. It means things stay consistent. And again, that's not different then any from new Canon. Only difference is new canon doesn't have to worry about Lucas messing with it.

I really can't tell the point you're trying to make? Saying my description of NJO is an analogy of the entire EU is silly. Of course everything is going to be written by different authors and tell different stories. That's the point of an EU in the first place. And the point of a canon is to make sure they all remain consistent. And the EU actually did a much better job at that then people give it credit for.

The point I was trying to make was that the reason I think people dislike NJO (I enjoyed alot of it though it definitely had problems) was that it was an 18 book series written by multiple authors who had no idea what they were doing because of Lucas, and didn't communicate with eachother very well. In other words, the Vong aren't bad, it was the execution of the storyline in which they appear that was bad.

The part where I said I actually had not read most of the NJO could have been a tip off that I was out of my element, but if you both want to treat me as remedial, I guess that just how you roll.

I know the series was written to create a new bad guy that was not yet again the Empire.  IMHO, the Vong felt like a rip off of the Borg, and I lost interest fast.

Edited by Darth Meanie

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

I know the series was written to create a new bad guy that was not yet again the Empire.  IMHO, the Vong felt like a rip off of the Borg, and I lost interest fast.

It's funny that you say that, because the Borg are high tech, while the Vong abhor technology to a religiously fanatic degree. But I do see the similarities. When those books were coming out or soon thereafter, I always thought that the authors were making the Vong into these religious fanatics that were sort of an analogy of modern day Islamic terrorists. They would come to a new world and want to convert it (Vongforming) or destroy it. 

On February 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM, CosmicCastawayA90 said:

What gives Disney, or any individual, the right to tell fans that their stories are how it really happened?

4 billion dollars, appearantly.  

Theres been a very long tradition of non-movie SW material being 'non-canonned' by later releases and continuity issues.  Millennials are butt-hurt by TWA because the stuff they grew up with is now affected.   Life is happier when you realize that ALL of SW is 'legends' and any and all works, even the movies (cough, prequels, cough) can be remade, reimagined, or retconned.  The Special Editions proves that.

Oh go, I'd rather acknowledge the existence of the prequels that see the Vong canonised.

****, I'd keep watching Ed Sheeran as General Hux.

I'd even buy a rebel TIE...

Edited by Xerandar

8 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

4 billion dollars, appearantly.  

Theres been a very long tradition of non-movie SW material being 'non-canonned' by later releases and continuity issues.  Millennials are butt-hurt by TWA because the stuff they grew up with is now affected.   Life is happier when you realize that ALL of SW is 'legends' and any and all works, even the movies (cough, prequels, cough) can be remade, reimagined, or retconned.  The Special Editions proves that.

Wouldn't blame that on millenials, those (or 'we' I guess) are too young to have experienced most of it. This inability to not care for continuity is something that runs deep in nerd culture itself.