Sign in to follow this  
monkeyrama

Argalad

I have recently been catching up with this game after a very busy 6 months of work, and have just started using Argalad. Is anyone else as a big a fan of him as I am? I've been mucking around with him using LoV to get essentially double-questing out of him, and the little bit of damage is just a lovely addition. What I think I like most about him is that he has Ranged, so that he's open to other ways to use his stats.

I was playing City of Corsairs double handed, with Tactics Legolas on the other side of the board. Each had a Rohan Warhorse attached (thanks for a Song of Battle for Argalad) and they neatly cleared the board regularly together. I was trying to cram as many 'new' heroes as I could into the decks, so the decks are a little hodge-podge (Elfhelm, Merry(S), Argalad and Beregond(S), Eowyn(T), Legolas(T)), but they play remarkably well after I realised that Argalad is the star of the show. Beregond(S) also surprised me with how good he is. That tiny threat reduction can really save your bacon!

I got a bit lucky by destroying the Stormcaller in one shot in Round 1 thanks to a perfect card draw for the Legolas deck. This is mostly just a post to express my excitement about Argalad, because I didn't think much of the hero when he released, and now I'm a big fan. I'm trying to plot some kind of deck that uses him and Gimli(Le) to use the Silvan/Dwarf card and get attacks out of Argalad after using him during questing. Fun! I guess also I'm wondering what others way people use Argalad: is he a support hero to you, or someone you can build a whole deck around?

Now that you mention the double questing via LoV, he does seem a lot better than I was thinking. I also really like the idea of trying to pair him with the new Gimli so you can double quest and still attack.

With the right combos, Argalad is looking pretty nice. Note I'm staying to think of ideas for a new set of Silvan decks, but at that point it may be difficult to justify giving LoV to him because others may be able to use it pretty well too.

It was the double questing use that I really liked. I was playing Escape from Umbar, and usually had the Captain in the staging area pumping up the Willpower of all the enemies. Argalad had one Mirkwood Longknife, a mount (I forget which), and a Bow of the Galahdrim attached. With Elfhelm as well (and a song of travel) he was questing for 4 and reducing enemy willpower by up to 4 as well. The Gimli combo is something I really want to try, but that deck with Haldir and Legolas is nice!

My decks I'm currently running have also made me rediscover Master of the Forge. Since the first deck (Elfhelm, Merry, Argalad) is full of attachments, the Master is a useful card every turn. Using him and the Westfold Horse-Breeder I am able to cut down mounts and songs to the necessary minimum, and still have bodies to soak up extra attacks and/or archery damage. I'm just glad to use a hero I thought was a OK, but not amazing, and realise that I *really* like them, especially since this came out of an attempt to use Na'asiyah in combo with an all-scout deck (so all-tactics + all-scout), and I just couldn't make it work. I'll have to try that Legolas, Haldir, Argalad deck. I should probably also finally start using Deckbuilder to save my decks.

23 minutes ago, monkeyrama said:

It was the double questing use that I really liked. I was playing Escape from Umbar, and usually had the Captain in the staging area pumping up the Willpower of all the enemies. Argalad had one Mirkwood Longknife, a mount (I forget which), and a Bow of the Galahdrim attached. With Elfhelm as well (and a song of travel) he was questing for 4 and reducing enemy willpower by up to 4 as well. The Gimli combo is something I really want to try, but that deck with Haldir and Legolas is nice!

Thanks .. you must remember the mount .. if it's restricted you have a problem, because Longknife and Bow are restricted, too.

25 minutes ago, monkeyrama said:

I should probably also finally start using Deckbuilder to save my decks.

If you have tweaking suggestions, please let me know.

1 hour ago, JanB said:

Thanks .. you must remember the mount .. if it's restricted you have a problem, because Longknife and Bow are restricted, too.

I remember now (forgot it before): it's Asfaloth, who has the wonderful bonus (even though he's pricey) of being non-restricted. The reason I give Argalad that mount is because all the other mounts are going on Legolas, Eowyn, Merry, and Elfhelm: I have no mounts left for Argalad! Merry gets Windfola, Eowyn gets Snowmane, Legolas gets a Rohan Warhorse, and Elfhelm gets an Armored Destrier. The hope is that Eowyn can ready with Snowmane and then use Herugrum to help Legolas out to fight, but so far I've never actually pulled it off! Windfola gives Merry +2 willpower for 1 resources. Windfola in a deck with Elfhelm is *epic* for a cheap willpower boost.

I also include a hobbit pony, largely for a willpower boost until I find Windfola. Will give your deck a look once I'm out of work to see if I have any tweaking thoughts, and I'll post mine once I've put them together!

Edited by monkeyrama

On 27/02/2017 at 11:10 AM, JanB said:

If you have tweaking suggestions, please let me know.

Quite honestly, I don't see much to tweak. What I do enjoy is the use of card re-use to make a single trap type more effective by recycling it (I wondered at first how useful only 3 traps were, but I see now). The only question I have is how you find Spirit resources. I see the Envoy can shunt 1 resource over, but otherwise Legolas cannot gain Lore to use Love of Tales. Does the deck ever slow down on the Spirit side?

Combining Galdor and Silver Harp is neat, and you get the advantage also of Mithrandir's Advice for quick card draw. Silvan Tracker is in, I assume, only really for passive healing of the three heroes, but how do you deal with big hitting boss enemies that are immune to player card effects, or who still hit so hard that Entangling Nets wouldn't help? That's something I struggle with in decks that emphasise, as yours seems to, willpower and attack. Would, eg, Gildor help here? But he is costly and could only really handle a single big attack. I like the deck a lot!

I'll get my decks online ASAP, but I need to write up a short strategy guide.

OK, I hope that this link works, but here's the fellowship of the two decks I'm using at the moment:

http://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/2181

Any comments are more than welcome! Doom Hangs Still is the card I think is most out of place, but I really like it's potential to spare a turn. I could see it going to trim the decks down, as they're both a little chunky.