Sign in to follow this  
Forresto

Best Use of a Decimator

The impression i'm getting from the Decimator is that its an evil Millennium Falcon, and while its certainly different I do get this impression it still remains the Imperial counterpart to the Falcon. However the hero variant is expensive, basically a ship at that point so what is the benefit of bringing a decimator or Kees to the table rather then say a raider or gozanti?

Edited by Forresto

Ships are generally garbage at killing squadrons, and three black dice are vicious. Three blue seems decent against ships, but so far I've only used Morna to kill squadrons. A Brace token that just refuses to go away is also handy. She's expensive, sure, but when you put Rogue, Counter 1, a reroll ability, and a respawning Brace token on something with three black dice you get a lot of power as far as squadrons go. I've actually yet to use generic Decimators but I have high expectations for them in an upcoming Corellian Conflict game. 

One of the guys I play with gave me this idea:

ISD II: Chiraneau, EHB, Flight Controllers
Comms Net Goz passing squad token
6 Decimators.

I think there is some merit to being able to activate ALL 132 points of your squads at a single time. +1 blue against squads. Basically you crush scatter aces with lots of dice. And Chiraneau is cheaper than Intel and let's you Decimators move around. Or you throw 18 blue dice at a single ship.

It's just a thought. Might have some merit to it.

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

One of the guys I play with gave me this idea:

ISD II: Chiraneau, EHB, Flight Controllers
Comms Net Goz passing squad token
6 Decimators.

I think there is some merit to being able to activate ALL 132 points of your squads at a single time. +1 blue against squads. Basically you crush scatter aces with lots of dice. And Chiraneau is cheaper than Intel and let's you Decimators move around. Or you throw 18 blue dice at a single ship.

It's just a thought. Might have some merit to it.

Though, considering that Tie Ints could be throwing 6 dice and 4 counter, the 4 blue of the decimators even after FC starts to look a little paltry.  Or even defenders with 3blue and 2 black.  

Tie int: 4 + howl + FC + SWARM REROLL, 2counter + howl and den gar. 

But shoving 18 blue dice sounds fun.  sadly they are non bomber, so 18 x 0.5 = 9 avg dmg.  Its.... okay...?  

But not really as awesome.  (Yavaris example again is 12 avg dmg for only 3 squads.  assuming ONE bcc, no toryn, no 2nd bcc, no norra). 

--

I'd rather see

4 ints, 5 bombers, howl dengar mauler.

Fc those mauler, 4 ints and howl and watch things burn.  

22 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Though, considering that Tie Ints could be throwing 6 dice and 4 counter, the 4 blue of the decimators even after FC starts to look a little paltry.  Or even defenders with 3blue and 2 black.  

Tie int: 4 + howl + FC + SWARM REROLL, 2counter + howl and den gar. 

But shoving 18 blue dice sounds fun.  sadly they are non bomber, so 18 x 0.5 = 9 avg dmg.  Its.... okay...?  

But not really as awesome.  (Yavaris example again is 12 avg dmg for only 3 squads.  assuming ONE bcc, no toryn, no 2nd bcc, no norra). 

--

I'd rather see

4 ints, 5 bombers, howl dengar mauler.

Fc those mauler, 4 ints and howl and watch things burn.  

Yea but they have 8 hull and counter. And can hunt flotillas with no support. And they have Rogue if you need them to go do something. It's not like they are meant to replace Tie/I. But they are much harder to deal with and you aren't giving up 11 points when your opponent rolls well. I could drop 1 into Rhymer and upgrade another into Morna. That would increase the threat of these guys substantially. 

2 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

Yea but they have 8 hull and counter. And can hunt flotillas with no support. And they have Rogue if you need them to go do something. It's not like they are meant to replace Tie/I. But they are much harder to deal with and you aren't giving up 11 points when your opponent rolls well. I could drop 1 into Rhymer and upgrade another into Morna. That would increase the threat of these guys substantially. 

Dude I feel ya.  =). But you might lose your ISD to a bombing run, much faster than the rogues can defend or take something else down.  Rogues are great overtime for their own efficiency.  

I have yet to try and see if the Tie Ints with 6 dice murdering stuff make up for giving up 11 points at a time to my opponent.  I think its prob not a big deal, and I think shoving my ISD in their face so theynahve to pick between AA flak and attacking my ISD will make it easier.  

I've dealt already with a "Decimator ball" x5 + rhymmer. As always rhymmer gets the alpha strike and a corvette went down with those 15 blue dices in turn 2. When engaged are not that impressive, but you just need an intel around, prefferibly dengar to improve the counter, to make this a ship itself with 40 hp and 5 different hulls.

Having run 4 decimators as my only squadrons in the Vassal WC here my input.

These are great for hunting down flotillas or squadrons. Their biggest drawback was that they are heavy and so other squadrons were able to get away and heal rather than being pinned and finished off. 

In future if i was going to run 4 i would also include a few TIE's to pin squads in place.