Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Episodes IV, V, and VI Possible Re release

They were going to work through the whole saga in 3D format, though The Phantom Menace did so poorly on 3D re-release that they had second thoughts, and then 3D has a whole has crashed and burned in most countries.

I'm not really arsed about 3D - there's only three films worth watching in 3D - but I'd still like to see the Star Destroyer coming out over my head in 3D at the start of A New Hope.  There's a shot of Kylo's star destroyer in Force Awakens where the point of the ship really felt like it was jumping out of the screen.

They've got to do this really haven't they? I'll be super surprised and very disappointed if they don't.

Whether they actually go the whole hog and release the original versions is another matter of course but I really hope they do. A 4K UHD release in the home would just be the cherry on the top!

Edited by Richard_Thomas_

I'm up for purchasing yet ANOTHER copy of the trilogy if it came with theatrical releases. My DVD set with the theatrical is forced letter box and grainy film quality... which makes it a little tough to watch on new TVs.

And then I watched RotJ a couple of weeks ago off iTunes and twitched like mad during the Jabba's palace 'music' interlude... and again when Vader yells out... "Nooooooo!"

I think the mouse is out of the picture for this one:

While Disney now owns the rights to the Star Wars universe and all future films going forward, 20th Century Fox has retained the rights to the first six movies. The original film, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, is theirs forever, and they'll own the final five films, Episodes I-III, V and VI, through May 2020.

http://www.slashfilm.com/20th-century-fox-still-owns-rights-to-first-six-star-wars-films-making-original-box-set-difficult/

I have mixed feeling about most 3D.  I felt that James Cameron's Avatar was amazing, but most 3D is dark. You loose so much. It's like watching a movie wearing sun-glasses.  Even in The Force Awakens (TFA) when Rey was in the desert, if you lifted the 3D glasses for just a moment you saw how dark it was. Not nearly as bright as the desert in Star Wars (the first movie).  You almost need HFR, which is much better.

So I guess it is a trade off. A screen that is less bright and somewhat dull for 3D, or more brightly lit detailed shots.

Edited by Ken at Sunrise
spell'in n grammar