Beatty

A need to vent

17 minutes ago, Gaheriet said:

I have to emphasize, bringing all my books and going thru them because I cannot remember in which so and so was became hell.

I can also relate to FFG for making information distribution the way they did in order to make more sale, the books are very good quality and I am fine with the prices.

What would be great are some FFG pdf printable indexes that would help guide users searching for information.

Yeah, I don't blame FFG for their marketing strategy and the books are great quality and do have great information if you want to expand the rules, I just wish I had an option to go eBook instead of only hard back books. Ten of those books are just Too much to bring and if you have two different core  books you might as well hold your sessions at your chiropractic office.

But with piracy I can also understand why they won't go digital, though people still try.

Edited by Beatty

30 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/ is your friend.

A useful resource, and I'm not talking smack about a community resource that someone put together as a labor of love and gave us for free, but their relevance is quickly diminishing. They're many, many books out of date (unless there's been an update in the last couple of weeks - I've not had cause to visit for a bit).

A useful resource, and I'm not talking smack about a community resource that someone put together as a labor of love and gave us for free, but their relevance is quickly diminishing. They're many, many books out of date (unless there's been an update in the last couple of weeks - I've not had cause to visit for a bit). Still useful as a starting point, but it needs some love.

A useful resource, and I'm not talking smack about a community resource that someone put together as a labor of love and gave us for free, but their relevance is quickly diminishing. They're many, many books out of date (unless there's been an update in the last couple of weeks - I've not had cause to visit for a bit). Still useful as a starting point, but it needs some love.

7 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Well, it's all we have other than the L Master List spreadsheet (whose topic I'm astonished the FFG admins didn't shut down) and the several-years-old fan-made FFG index PDF that was never updated beyond its original v1.0 release (making it pretty much useless today).

Edited by ShadoWarrior

9 minutes ago, Desslok said:

We know it's out of date, trying to get some additional typing fingers on the project to knock it out.  Any takers?

32 minutes ago, Beatty said:

Ten of those books are just Too much to bring and if you have two different core  books you might as well hold your sessions at your chiropractic office.

Spoken like a person with a hurt back like me.  Even if I get a fancy suitcase or tote with wheels, I gotta lift the derned thing in and out of my car.  My aged macbook air with every scrap of information I need to run DungeonWorld, on the other hand, fits neatly into my GM Go-Bag.

I suppose this isn't a new or unique problem, so in lieu of a lack of other solutions, I should only carry the bare essentials and rely on others having the books they require.   

35 minutes ago, Beatty said:

Yeah, I don't blame FFG for their marketing strategy and the books are great quality and do have great information if you want to expand the rules, I just wish I had an option to go eBook instead of only hard back books. Ten of those books are just Too much to bring and if you have two different core  books you might as well hold your sessions at your chiropractic office.

But with piracy I can also understand why they won't go digital, though people still try.

It has nothing to do with anti-piracy and everything to do with the existing contracts between LFL & FFG and LFL & EA.

Electronic delivery of the RPG information, per the terms of those contracts, is considered electronic/video games, which is under the purview of EA's licensing contract. Legally, FFG can't release the books electronically.

6 minutes ago, themensch said:

We know it's out of date, trying to get some additional typing fingers on the project to knock it out.  Any takers?

I'd also like to request that, someday, the folks behind that website consider a downloadable PDF of that site's tables. There are occasions when one needs access to an index but lacks a Web connection.

2 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

It has nothing to do with anti-piracy and everything to do with the existing contracts between LFL & FFG and LFL & EA.

Electronic delivery of the RPG information, per the terms of those contracts, is considered electronic/video games, which is under the purview of EA's licensing contract. Legally, FFG can't release the books electronically.

Badly written contracts. PDFs should not have been classified as "electronic games" by EA or LFL. They are "digital books", a completely different medium.

9 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

Badly written contracts. PDFs should not have been classified as "electronic games" by EA or LFL. They are "digital books", a completely different medium.

It's my understanding that the contracts remain basically unchanged from when WEG first got the RPG license back in the 80's. At the time, digital books and PDF's didn't exist, and couldn't be taken into account.

That's where having to alter both FFG's and EA's contracts comes in. As it stands, there's no incentive at all for EA to agree to renegotiate their contract off-cycle when FFG's comes up for renewal (or at all, for that matter).

Edited by Nytwyng

Yep, Star Wars contracts are squirrely.  Take a look at Funko Pop figures.  All of the Star Wars ones have to be "bobbleheads" to bypass and exclusivity contract on action figures.  So they all have a very small spring and an almost unnoticeable bobble to their heads along with a pedestal to stand on.  So lame.

3 minutes ago, SladeWeston said:

Yep, Star Wars contracts are squirrely.  Take a look at Funko Pop figures.  All of the Star Wars ones have to be "bobbleheads" to bypass and exclusivity contract on action figures.  So they all have a very small spring and an almost unnoticeable bobble to their heads along with a pedestal to stand on.  So lame.

For the most part, I don't mind the stands. It'd be great if the Firefly Zoe Pop had one. With her hair style, the head is overweighted in the back, so she doesn't stand independently. (Which is ironic, given the character's personality.)

32 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

I'd also like to request that, someday, the folks behind that website consider a downloadable PDF of that site's tables. There are occasions when one needs access to an index but lacks a Web connection.

You can't do this already?  Get the table you like and print it to PDF?  

4 minutes ago, themensch said:

You can't do this already?  Get the table you like and print it to PDF?  

Or cut and paste it into excel (excel online is free now) or google sheets.  I suspect if you go during a low traffic period you could knock out most of the site in less than five minutes.

There's a difference between "printing" a whole slew of individual pages as a pile of PDFs and having the entire index as one single PDF. It's an ease-of-use thing. Sure, having some files, however cumbersome, is better than nothing at all, but a single file is much, much easier to look through.

1 minute ago, ShadoWarrior said:

There's a difference between "printing" a whole slew of individual pages as a pile of PDFs and having the entire index as one single PDF. It's an ease-of-use thing. Sure, having some files, however cumbersome, is better than nothing at all, but a single file is much, much easier to look through.

Couldn't you just print out individual indexes as PDFs, then join them as one PDF?  

I agree, that's a bit of a cumbersome process, but it is a solution.

Or, as I suggested, you could take a couple of minutes to format the thing into a proper table.  Maybe even put a filter on the thing.  Then you could filter it to show only what you need and print it out in whatever format you like.

5 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

I wasn't aware that it's technically possible to merge together PDFs. Is it?

1. Within Acrobat, click on the Tools menu and select Combine Files.
  2. Click Combine Files, and then click Add Files to select the files you want to include in your PDF.
  3. Click, drag, and drop to reorder the files and pages. Double-click on a file to expand and rearrange individual pages. Press the Delete key to remove unwanted content.
  4. When finished arranging files, click Combine Files.
  5. Click the Save button.

59 minutes ago, ShadoWarrior said:

I don't use Adobe apps. I'm using the free Foxit Reader. Foxit does not have a tool with this capability that's free. I guess I'll have to hunt on the Web for one that is free.

They're out there.  On a mac it's pretty simple, but I remember it being difficult on a PC, and it required adding a pdf printer device.  However, I think there's websites now that'll do it for you.  

http://www.pdfmerge.com/ was the first result in google, I think you're going to have an easy time buddy!

Edited by themensch

On 24/02/2017 at 11:36 PM, themensch said:

They're out there.  On a mac it's pretty simple, but I remember it being difficult on a PC, and it required adding a pdf printer device.  However, I think there's websites now that'll do it for you.  

http://www.pdfmerge.com/ was the first result in google, I think you're going to have an easy time buddy!

sejda.com also keeps your bookmarks working in the merged doc.

Edited by SamWillis