Darth Meanie

Would You Have Started This Game If It Was Not Star Wars

I most likely would have never started in the first place. If someone had convinced me to play this exact game that wasn't Star Wars, I would have probably started playing but I doubt I would have bought in to anywhere near the extent that I have. 

I played a Wings of War and lived it but couldn't find anyone interested in playing it chez moi. I got into x wing because it was a cool game at my club with a decent following.

outside of the Original Trilogy and the tie fighter of game, I don't especially go week at the knees for SW. I found TFA dull and Rogue One a missed opportunity, and don't even get me started on the prequels!

So yeah, the fact that it's SW doesn't fuss me much, though the ability to fly the classic ships is a nice touch! The fact that it's a simple game with pre painted minis that is fun, well supported and with a decent following is what's important.

No, The actual reason I got into the game was not the game at all. I was looking for a Slave 1 model but couldn't find anything that was highly detailed and / or painted (i have no model paint etc.). I stumbled across the Slave 1 from X-Wing Miniatures in a Barnes and Noble 2 years ago and was amazed by the detail. So I trolled online for the best price on a new one (thank you eBay) along with a X-Wing Miniatures Millennium Falcon to set up a nice little Empire Strikes Back Slave 1 chasing the Millennium Falcon scene. Once I actually got the models in person, the fact that these amazingly detailed ,pre-painted and to scale with each other models belonged to a table top game intrigued me the more and more I looked at them on the shelf. So, I broke down and bought the original core set to try the game out and never looked back... No regrets ;)

Probably not! I was never a miniature/tactical wargamer, just RPG's and boardgames. My love of SW drew me into the game; I look at other miniatures games and think they look fun, interesting, beautiful even, with such nice sculpts and paintjobs... but the combination of ruleset, community, and Star Wars is a perfect storm for financial ruin.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:22 PM, Kubernes said:

It already was a WW1/WW2 game. The post above says it: Wings of Glory.

Yeah, I already know.  It was originally called Wings of War.  My comment was being a little jest.

19 hours ago, NakedDex said:

The canon scale isn't bad once you stick within an era. Once you introduce movies and other eras, it gets messy. That's why late TNG/Voy/DS9 is ideal: they're simultaneous, for the most part. WizKids went super cash grab on it, though, and broke the game early on, then repeatedly patched it with mass power creep and insanely overpowered combinations.

Not sure about all of the scale in STAW. They call the one ship the 'Tiny-prise' for a reason. I was going to give STAW a try long before the broken combos and such. At the first release I took a look at the figures and decided not to buy in. I just don't like the looks of the figures, and the figures/ships is what got me into this game.

17 hours ago, theninthguardian said:

No. I try to avoid collectible games, and definitely stay away from collectible minis like the plague.

You and I both, but that wasn't always the case for me. Actually my experience with collectible game is what turned me off to them.  I'm not even remotely interested in blind purchases, uncommon and rares.  Had FFG gone that direction I would not have purchased the first model regardless of whether the game was good or bad.

11 hours ago, Phoenix5454 said:

No, The actual reason I got into the game was not the game at all. I was looking for a Slave 1 model but couldn't find anything that was highly detailed and / or painted (i have no model paint etc.). I stumbled across the Slave 1 from X-Wing Miniatures in a Barnes and Noble 2 years ago and was amazed by the detail. So I trolled online for the best price on a new one (thank you eBay) along with a X-Wing Miniatures Millennium Falcon to set up a nice little Empire Strikes Back Slave 1 chasing the Millennium Falcon scene. Once I actually got the models in person, the fact that these amazingly detailed ,pre-painted and to scale with each other models belonged to a table top game intrigued me the more and more I looked at them on the shelf. So, I broke down and bought the original core set to try the game out and never looked back... No regrets ;)

That's how it's supposed to happen :-)

27 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

Not sure about all of the scale in STAW. They call the one ship the 'Tiny-prise' for a reason. I was going to give STAW a try long before the broken combos and such. At the first release I took a look at the figures and decided not to buy in. I just don't like the looks of the figures, and the figures/ships is what got me into this game.

The scale is all over the place throughout the game. The Defiant is almost the same size as the Enterprise D, which is the same size as a Romulan Warbird. Nothing about that makes sense to look at, plus the models themselves look godawful, and I don't have the time or patience to repaint them. Large base ships don't exist in the game - or at least they didn't when I last checked - which forces weird sliding scales to get the models to fit the bases, rather than the other way around. 

This, again, is why I'd love to see an Armada style version of the game. Defiant is fine as a single squadron style ship (like the Decimator/Ghost), and you can scale all the way up to the Warbird and Cubes from that. Plus the movement style suits the combat style much more, and you might legitimately be able to pull off a Picard Maneuver...

10 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

The scale is all over the place throughout the game. The Defiant is almost the same size as the Enterprise D, which is the same size as a Romulan Warbird. Nothing about that makes sense to look at, plus the models themselves look godawful, and I don't have the time or patience to repaint them. Large base ships don't exist in the game - or at least they didn't when I last checked - which forces weird sliding scales to get the models to fit the bases, rather than the other way around. 

This, again, is why I'd love to see an Armada style version of the game. Defiant is fine as a single squadron style ship (like the Decimator/Ghost), and you can scale all the way up to the Warbird and Cubes from that. Plus the movement style suits the combat style much more, and you might legitimately be able to pull off a Picard Maneuver...

So we're kind of saying that Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada have a better design, movement, factions, painting, scaling, etc. are all superior.

So I guess if this wasn't Star Wars and Fantasy flight, both, I might not have gotten into the game.

Probably not.

Don't get me wrong, the game plays GREAT!  It's the best dog-fighting board game on the market, great mechanics, and lots of fun.  The only big barrier of entry to me is the price point, and I have trouble justifying the cost unless it's something that I really like, even if the miniatures are amazing.

The Stars Wars theme is the difference from me saying "it's incredibly awesome, but too expensive" and "okay... fine.  I'll buy it."

39 minutes ago, StevenO said:

I know the price point is what is keeping my collection from being current.

Some of the new ships may be pretty in terms of appearance and also in term of game use but they just aren't so recognizable.

Of the last three waves there are five ships from TFA, five ships from Rebels, two ships from Rogue One, one ship from Ep. III, and two from EU sources. While it may not be stuff as recognizable as the original X-wing we're not dealing with a whole lot of obscurity here. Two ships out of fifteen, three if you want to throw the Quad Jumper in there as it was blink and you'll miss it. 

Edited by Frimmel

Nope.

This is truly the first 'competitive' style table-top game that I've remotely gotten into.  I've had my eye on plenty of miniature games before, but the price and lack of time to play them has placed them at the bottom of my list of priorities.  I've been delving back into a ton of Star Wars books, comics, and games as of late however, and figured now was as good a time as any to jump in and see what X-Wing was like.  If it wasn't for the Star Wars theme and the EU ships, I wouldn't have bought X-Wing at all.

Nope. (Though I am a late comer). 

I picked up D&D attack wing first because I'm a big D&D nerd and enjoyed the basic mechanics but hated the way the game was expanded (random gimmicks rather than mainstay iconic troops and monsters people would actively want).

I only came to xwing because I played with a friend and it brought up my old love of the EU, especially seeing the various squadrons on the imp cards, which I had nearly forgotten about. It was fun, particularly as it was a universe we both knew well enough to do some nonsense roleplay and what off scenarios (Vader and Luke with their wingmen unite against the emperor's finest tie squadron for instance) Then when I heard the Gozanti was bringing carrier mechanics (something iconic to the empire in my mind) I had to get involved. Without my star wars love I would have given up after D&d went to pieces. 

I would have preferred it. The being marketed as a board game with a Star Wars liscence was a huge turn off. It was only the D6g review that informed of the mechanics and made me interested.