Darth Meanie

Would You Have Started This Game If It Was Not Star Wars

No.  

I quite gaming for a reason but my best friend played and my wife (huge Star Wars fan) pushed me to start playing.  Now she regrets it and I stayed because of the mechanics.  Now I cry every time a new large Scum ship comes out.

Corrected; Huge to Large.  I am excited and glad to have the Huge as I enjoy EPIC.

Edited by rilesman

1 minute ago, kris40k said:
10 minutes ago, rilesman said:

Now I cry every time a new huge Scum ship comes out.

So...you've cried once.

It isn't even out yet so he hasn't cried once yet. :)

When the question was asked "would you KEEP playing if the StarWars skin was removed?" the counter is "what is it replaced with?" but as a completely generic/original game I probably wouldn't have bothered.

If this weren't Star Wars, I wouldn't have picked it up. The other sci-if games I play are based on other intellectual properties I like- Star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, and, of course, other Star Wars games. 

I'm first interested in the theme/imaginative environment of a game. After that gets my interest, I investigate mechanics to see if the game is appealing.

X-wing, Armada and Rebellion work well for Star Wars. Attack wing fails (in my opinion) for Star Trek. B5Wars was awesome for B5. 

You get the idea. 

3 hours ago, hey_yu said:

It would depend on the genre they were trying to fit with the X-Wing game system.  If it was a WWI/WWII fighter game it might've perk my curiosity.   

It already was a WW1/WW2 game. The post above says it: Wings of Glory.

Back to the topic, I'm not really sure if I would have played it or not if the name or universe was different. I lean to no because I didn't care for Wings of Glory when I played it before X-Wing was even released. DnD and Star Trek also failed for me. I do have a bit of hope that perhaps another universe could work. Gundam is one that I know I would have liked or even a totally new setting.

Yes, I know there is a Gundam conversion, but I find that it became far too messy with its mechanics.

Yup

I had been interested in miniatures games for a couple of years but assembly, painting, and general cost kept me away.

It also helps that I'm really into aviation and the pseudo WW1 dogfighting system really appeals to me.  I thought about Wings of Glory but I don't know anyone else who plays or would play it; Star Wars is a much easier sell to people.  I like Star Wars plenty; but it's clear to me that I'm not into it as much as a lot of the other guys who I play X-Wing with.

9 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Fascinating, I didn't know about the Decipher embezzling issues.  Were they misusing the piles of money we were spending to get our third copy of gems like Han Solo with Blaster Pistol wearing Cold Gear in the Millennium Falcon????? Who would have guessed! haha

Still, we are all indebted to Decipher to eternity.  They were just about the sole caretakers of Star Wars, and added more background and detail to the universe than all the EU authors combined.  Where would we be without Willrow Hood, or the names and or callsigns for a huge pile of the pilots from our game now?  They had the privilege of being able to add fluff to the canon at a time when LFL gave much less of a ****, and they did a very good job detailing the universe we know take for granted.

Their CFO stole money from them, and they had to reduce to skeleton-staff levels (this was years after they lost the Star Wars licence. As Sithborg pointed out, that seems to have happened because Lucasfilm wanted to consolidate the licence under Hasbro, as as far as I know the CCG sold excellently). And - Willrow Hood!!! I have a whole deck (well, it's my only deck) built around him.

I got into this game quite unexpectedly. I'd never really played miniatures games. The concept of a tactical combat game appealed to me a lot (I would have achieved self-actualization in the age of hex-grid board games), but I had the impression that they were incredibly expensive. I did ask a friend to demo Warhammer 40,000 to me once, but I found that I didn't like it all that much. I played Magic: The Gathering instead. I was aware of X-Wing, and that it was popular near me, but didn't really consider it. Just a couple months ago, a friend and I were at the hobby store looking at Magic cards, and I happened to cast an eye over the X-Wing shelf and say something like, 'Man, I don't even know what half of these ships are anymore. What the heck is a T-70 X-wing? I feel old.' (And silly, when I was reminded what it was.) Another customer then started up a conversation about the game. I listened interestedly, but said to my friend afterward that while it might be a fun game to take up eventually, I didn't want to make the investment right now.

It turned out my friend had been listening a lot more intently than I had, for the next thing I knew he had been given the game for Christmas and bought several more ships to boot! He and I played a couple starter games, and I found the maneuvering and mental guesswork fascinating. I looked into all four of X-Wing, Armada, Star Trek Attack Wing, and D&D Attack Wing online (all themes I found interesting), but for various reasons settled in on X-Wing as the most appealing (and, of course, the most logical, given my friend had already bought in). I started exploring potential lists, and made a thread on these forums to that end, and my friend and I continued chatting about our ideas. I sort of found myself committing to the game when I thought I was still in the 'consideration' phase, and bought the Core Set II and Imperial Aces guiltily.

Concurrently, my brother (in another city) and his friend got into Imperial Assault, and then into X-Wing (I don't know how much the cross-pollination was relevant), and that sort of cemented it. We were all X-Wing players now, and super excited by this game.

So, I got into it due to a simultaneous combination of theme and mechanics, but I wouldn't have tried it at all if my friend hadn't sucked me in, and he might not have gotten it without that conversation with a player in a game store, which was occasioned by looking at the Star Wars ships on the wall. He probably would have bought it if it had been Star Trek Attack Wing and Star Wars hadn't been next to it, too, but not if it had been Warhammer-themed or some other universe. So ... two counts (actually, I think four) of 'No' here - but I did buy in because I was fascinated by the gameplay, as well. And, moral of the story: chat up those chaps you see eyeing the models in your store! Word of mouth works.

Assuming between the two posts you looked up Willrow Hood on Wookiepedia, now may be the most opportune time for me to say my deepest ambition is to field a swarm of Bespin Twin-Pod Cloud Cars in this game. On the Bespin mat. FFG, pleeease???

My first thought was no, but then i thought of 70% of scum ships and understood that people play obscure fighters and have fun regardless.

If models were done well and universe wouldn't be the one that i dont like, probably yes.

Nope.

Would I now if FFG lost its Star Wars license and used generic spaceships? Absolutely! 

Star Wars (more specifically, the YT-2400, my favorite ship in the franchise), is why I gave the game a chance. And it worked to get me hooked, it was a good game., and I appreciate the game mechanics.

Edited by Jadotch

No.

I didn't ever bother with miniature games in the slightest and if there was any other theme splatched on top of these mechanics, I'd give it a pass. I just play because it's Star Wars. And I only play because the stuff I recognize from the Movies and The Rogue Squadron Series are in it. If this game did not have Waves 1-4 and instead only all these Scum stuff and obscure other stuff flying around I'd give it a pass as well.

The mechanics are cool, so are the most effects and other stuff, but play it for the fluff, the flavour. I want to reenact Star Wars space battles. I modded all my small minis with magnets so it looks more like a space battle with turning, swerving and other stuff. I made real asteroids from lava rocks. I'm here for Star Wars and want to be part of that universe. No wings of war, wings of glory, star trek attack wing. Anything else is just boring because I need the fluff.

Yes, for sure. I was never a big Star Wars fan really. I loved the old X-wing and TIE Fighter games, but that's because I loved combat flight sim games more than anything. If this exact game had been Star Trek instead, I'd actually have jumped on right at the core set, rather than wait for wave 2. I'm still waiting on a decent Star Trek TNG/Voy/DS9 era game...

No.

I have looked longingly at Wings of War/Glory, because I like WW1 planes (played also 1990s Sierra/Dynamix Red Baron 1 heavily) and I really like painting. But decided against it, it's getting very expensive fast.

I have tons and tons of ships for GW's decades old fleet game Man o'War. My children have played this, but were much more interested in Star Wars than sail ships. I am certainly not getting Armada, its too expensive, and I have too much models already. So it was X-wing, and I play it mostly with my kids. But I would'nt have bought it if had been another theme.

No.

I got into xwing as I was actively looking for a table top game after being g out of the hobby for 15yrs. 

Looking I to what was out there away from 40k and WFB I'd already seen Wings of Glory and only been 'meh' about it.

Simply seeing the models made me pay attention, a couple demo games on YouTube and I was hooked. Spent £150 before I'd even played a game! 

The fact I skimmed over Wings means the IP was a huge draw. Without that I'd have probably just headed down the Bloodbowl route as that has had a strong presence here for years.

Edited by kopmcginty