owenmead

I Built A Dice Rolling App - Solves Hangouts Dropping Apps

After playing a bit with it, I got a few feature suggestions that you might want to consider if you decide to improve it even further. None of those are really needed since the dice roller is working just fine as of now.

• A way to change your "name". Perhaps character dies, you use it in multiple groups or you sign in with google and just don't want the others to know your real name or like me used a silly name because it wasn't really clear why name was needed during account creation.
  • An easier way to change channel, other then typing in the new name in adressbar,  perhaps even a list with recent channels.
  • Color code the results, perhaps black on green for positive and white on purple for negative like the corresponding dice and perhaps triumph black on yellow and dispair white on red to make them stand out even more.
  • A half in half dark/light side destiny token to the let of the arrows for destiny points to show what those arrows are for.
  • A way to hide/clear old rolls.
  • Addition to rolls, but you are already on that.
  • A way to see who is in channel, perhaps PW protect it.
  • If you have people type in a password, make a way to reset/change it.

Tested this AM.

Let me say that I will be grateful if there are more advanced features implemented, but:

This.

Is.

The.

Solution.

You're.

Looking.

For.

I _like_ that it's "bare bones" and persistent and straightforward and stable and not a resource hog.

Thank you so much Mr. Mead!

16 hours ago, BrickSteelhead said:

I _like_ that it's "bare bones" and persistent and straightforward and stable and not a resource hog.

I do too - not too much going on and runs on even the weakest computer.  While I feel there's some features that would be nice to have, with the addition of comments and then adding Advantage and whatnot, this is complete for my use.  

Awesome job thus far friend!

I'm not sure how you're saving the rolls but I imagine there must be a limit or purge process at some point per room.  How much history are you keeping?

I am a developer and I was thinking of building this when I heard Hangouts was gonna sell out.  You beat me to it.  If you would like some assistance let me know.  JavaScript/C#/.NET/SQL/HTML.  I can add some bells and whistles for sure.

Simplicity and performance are the keys for me. Every feature that is added, essentially takes-away from all the other features. Eventually you get to a point where adding features only makes things worse. There are some other changes / improvements I have planned, and hearing from the community has the biggest bearing on what does and doesn't make the cut. So feedback very welcome.

Thanks for the offer @Darkhelms I may take you up on it.

From the data side of it, I don't remove anything. If at some point in the future someone wanted to "export" their session or something like that I wanted to be able to. What I do is only display the last 100 rolls in the app. That way the rendering of the dice etc. doesn't bog down the client for long sessions.

2 hours ago, SilindeT said:

It needs the ability to log into multiple rooms.  And the ability to remove a room (limited to the creator of course).

But that is looking pretty sweet.

Can't you just go to another room via the link generated when you create it?  

Honestly I haven't tried.  I logged in created a room to try it. Logged out and thought "I wonder..." logged back in and I went straight to the room I had created.  No options for other rooms.  and I can't delete the room I created.  If someone gave me a link to their room then I guess I could go to that one.  But I'm thinking of a player/GM like myself that might have multiple rooms that they use maybe not all created by them so when they log in they have a list of rooms that they have participated in and can double click which one they wish to go visit. 

25 minutes ago, SilindeT said:

Honestly I haven't tried.  I logged in created a room to try it. Logged out and thought "I wonder..." logged back in and I went straight to the room I had created.  No options for other rooms.  and I can't delete the room I created.  If someone gave me a link to their room then I guess I could go to that one.  But I'm thinking of a player/GM like myself that might have multiple rooms that they use maybe not all created by them so when they log in they have a list of rooms that they have participated in and can double click which one they wish to go visit. 

Very weird, when I go to the site itself it asks me for a room, it never takes me to a room unless I name the room in my url.  After I suggested it, I tested it and it worked as I'd assumed.  I can see your point, and even though it doesn't fit my use case (we roll everything in the open) I can see a benefit to running different rooms.   It would be a little annoying if someone else guessed my room name and went about mucking it up, too.  

On 3/8/2017 at 0:24 PM, SilindeT said:

It needs the ability to log into multiple rooms.  And the ability to remove a room (limited to the creator of course).

But that is looking pretty sweet.

You can open up multiple windows / tabs and be in more than one at the same time.

There isn't really a "room owner" as this adds a lot more complexity. Anyone can join any room and roll dice (just like a house). If you're concerned about random people, use an obscure name

Edited by owenmead

On 3/8/2017 at 3:22 PM, SilindeT said:

If you go directly to https://dice.owenmead.com/ it will always ask you which room to go to.

It's a nice suggestion for the room list, but there are other features I'd like to put in before (adding set adv or threat to rolls; named/stored dice sets; ability to select and rank rolls for quick initiative ordering;...) Appreciate the feedback though

Haven't had much time to put into this in the last little while. I did however add the ability to clear the results on your screen. It only clears what you see, not others. If you reload the page you'll get everything back.

On 2/23/2017 at 8:48 PM, owenmead said:

Oh, any other forums and such I should tell about this app? Hope to help more people

I am happy to share this roller around the places I mentioned, but I wanted to make sure you're ready for me to do so, as it will likely increase the number of requests and whatnot.  

Hey owenmead,

Any chance you'd post the source for this? I've been working on a discord bot assistant and would be interested in adding a few features to the webapp.

EDIT: found the github.  now to figure out how to setup an instance

Edited by SkyJedi
i can google things

5 hours ago, SkyJedi said:

Hey owenmead,

Any chance you'd post the source for this? I've been working on a discord bot assistant and would be interested in adding a few features to the webapp.

EDIT: found the github.  now to figure out how to setup an instance

What kinda features are you thinking to add?

I've been following your work on the discord bot but since I don't play via that vector I haven't tried it beyond fiddling. 

23 minutes ago, themensch said:

What kinda features are you thinking to add?

I've been following your work on the discord bot but since I don't play via that vector I haven't tried it beyond fiddling. 

not sure, i'lll have to figure out the webapp first.

Stuff I've added to the discord bot though, Initiative roller/tracker, destiny roller, character tracker, and working on rerolling now (specific dice, add dice, remove extra dice)

On 4/1/2017 at 11:53 PM, owenmead said:

Share away :) It's quite a ways away from hitting any major usage pain points. Sorry for the late reply. The more that can benefit form this the better.

Any chance you can give me a rundown on how to deploy the webapp.  I figured out it's firebase but im stuck at deploying correctly. I keep getting the default firebase deploy screen.  Pretty sure I need to direct it towards src/ but can't find the switch

figured out how to host a local site now onto serving a website

Edited by SkyJedi

Look who figured it out

Changes so far

•  new dice/symbol images (there are no good destiny tokens, even my physical tokens are pixelated)
  • Larger everything (works well on mobile now)
  • Made the dice into rows

Lots to do

• Remake the die faces
  • Auto reset checkbox
  • One button Roll/add correct destiny point
  • Modifer for D100 rolls (lethal blows/vicious/durable)
  • EVAN MOAR!

K7oygFI.png