EFM Salvage

38 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

But....How....

I mean....Huh...

Like...Where does...

Uhm.....

Wow.

The subject and so on doesn't really "work" for me although usually a fan of purple but even at that I'm with Velvetelvis. Wow. 

Um... wow? Is this like... brush work? Paint pen? Perhaps photoshop by some expert in photo manipulation and special effects? Seriously... Even the small subtle details are sharp. The circular pattern, that breaks into smaller and smaller bars.... The lines on the character...

Even still, it's tough to get a decal to take to a shape like that without tearing. I've torn them on flat surfaces. The city skyline in the canopy is a nice touch too. Like some others have said, it's not what I would do, but it is striking on the overall effect.

Edited by IronOx

I only just realized that my post finally got approved and has since garnered replies.

The character is indeed a decal and there actually were tears despite my careful placement, which led to the accidental but IMO better result of going for a digital breaking effect with Kirby dots. It would be much harder to brush that on. Once varnishes are used, however, it looks painted on anyway. The line of the character goes around the circle, so it keeps the motion throughout and into the circular area. Some of the sponsorships are also decals. The character is a musical icon. The circular pattern is painted and is meant to be a decibel chart/musical chart of sorts with distortion, in keeping with the theme.  The central disc is a stylized spinning CD, though some of the movement effects weren't quite concentric so it loses some of its impact.

Edited by Enormously Fat Man
Kleeg005, LagJanson, Oberron and 1 other like this

I hadn't noticed the Kirby Dots, those look great on a mini this size at this scale.  I need to work out how to do them and see if I can maybe do a Kirby Dots OSL effect or something on a future ship.

I have to admit I quite like the lancer, it has that Neo tokyo, Near Future Anime feel to it, and Hatsune Miku fits in that aestetic perfectly. And the reflected cityscape in the cockpit reinforces the feel, although maybe a bit of a gloss over the windows would make it pop even more. I like the circular pattern, I thought it was a motion blur effect or something but I can see now what you were going for

6 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I hadn't noticed the Kirby Dots, those look great on a mini this size at this scale.  I need to work out how to do them and see if I can maybe do a Kirby Dots OSL effect or something on a future ship.

Mask off an area or cut a hole on some plastic, then dip a toothbrush and flick it. Thicker paint is better to not cause water rings. I wouldn't suggest it for OSL if you're actually using it for lighting, but for any airbrush-like puff pattern, it would look great as magical interruption.

Superb !

Might not be to everyone's taste with the bright Colours........But they do look fantastic and DIFFERENT !

would be boring if we all did the same thing, and it is very nice to see another take, using Decals is also a great idea.

Well done.

All the best,

Barry.

Kleeg005 likes this

I seriously dig the Lancer, fantastic work. It breaks also the stupid silhouette of thsi ship up, excellent.

And a cool take on the TAP!  (although I doubt a SW Inquisitor would fly that, look more like WH40K :)  )

Decals are fine and good. They can capture the detail needed to replicate a piece of art that's many times larger than the mini. There'd be no way to capture the detail of the ceiling of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica if, say, you wanted to put that on the circular Falcon. There seems to be some weird stigma I've seen associated with them for minis. That's exactly what they're for since you end up with a lot of weird cartoony-looking art because the resolution just isn't there. Or that, given that you can make them look exactly like they're painted on, they save a lot of labor. I only freehand things when I need to.

Anyway, I'm making an airbrushed/hand-brushed pinup on a larger ship next, so hopefully it comes out well. I usually only draw that stuff on ~A4 sized sheets.

Edited by Enormously Fat Man
added stuff
Maxosaso, Kleeg005 and ianmiddy like this

I can't say why there seems to be a stigma against decals within this little painting community. Or at least, that's the impression that I get, but personally, I think they're fine.

If I had a printer that could print directly onto my ships I'd use that, if it looked best.

Your ships look great, and your painting is great too. What really knocks it up a notch for me is your artistic instincts. Your ships are not just done at a high level, they are unique unto themselves. Keep it up.

Kleeg005 likes this

The stigma probably comes from other hobby focused games, where decals can and often are become a poorly done 'cheat' to avoid having to paint more than basic colors on a model.

Decal use in such games also thus take on the connotation of the 'newbie' player, trying to do the minimum work and rushing to get a force to the minimum completion level, often giving it a sloppy aspect.

That is effing AWESOME! Regardless of hoa it was done.

Ok, time to school this cooter. What is/are Kirby dots? I've been around for awhile and never heard of it.

11 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

That is effing AWESOME! Regardless of hoa it was done.

Ok, time to school this cooter. What is/are Kirby dots? I've been around for awhile and never heard of it.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Krackle

Basically an artistic technique created by Jack Kirby to represent "sci-fy-ie" energies.