TryFal

Painted Descent update 08-08-2018: Ettins

I have sooo much glue-ing and painting to do for my fantasy/Descent collection, any tips for saving time and efficiency?

Also I want to make one of my dragons a 'watercolour dragon' and paint it a bit like the one FFG use on their fantasy page image https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/genre

Any tips for getting that oily/metallic multicolour look and slightly watery sheen? For a closer look at the image I'm drawing inspiration from: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/269078-dice-and-core-book-binder-and-best-dragon-ever/

And one more question: I have a cathedral building to paint and want to go for a high fantasy/ grand medieval-ish look, any tips for which colours might work best?

Love the green/white shade by the way- great for a forest setting too, I have several shades so can make two or three groups so might take inspiration from that for a group you might find haunting the woods!

On 20-2-2018 at 12:04 PM, Watercolour Dragon said:

I have sooo much glue-ing and painting to do for my fantasy/Descent collection, any tips for saving time and efficiency?

Also I want to make one of my dragons a 'watercolour dragon' and paint it a bit like the one FFG use on their fantasy page image https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/genre

Any tips for getting that oily/metallic multicolour look and slightly watery sheen? For a closer look at the image I'm drawing inspiration from: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/269078-dice-and-core-book-binder-and-best-dragon-ever/

And one more question: I have a cathedral building to paint and want to go for a high fantasy/ grand medieval-ish look, any tips for which colours might work best?

Love the green/white shade by the way- great for a forest setting too, I have several shades so can make two or three groups so might take inspiration from that for a group you might find haunting the woods!

Hey Watercolour Dragon,

I read two things, two opposite things. You want to save time, but on the other hand a very technical painting scheme. The best tip I can give you here is choose one of those two. Or find a balance between these two. I like the idea on what you want with your dragon, but even with multiple years of painting experience I can't think of a way to achieve this is a small amount of time. Goodluck with sorting things out, and don't start mutliple project at ones, that way nothing will get finished ;).

Cathedral colours: darkgrey, gold and red/blood. If you have a picture of the building I could give you more.

Happy painting, Greets Miel

On 22-2-2018 at 9:33 AM, dr.dupont said:

Hi

Where did you get the model for the necromancer familiar?

It looks great, and I would like it for my own game.

Those are from Games Workshop Warhammer. Skeleton Warriors, got them for a bargain.

Greets Miel

On 2/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, TryFal said:

Those are from Games Workshop Warhammer. Skeleton Warriors, got them for a bargain.

Greets Miel

Thx, for the info.

And keep the good work, it looks great :-D

On 2/24/2018 at 8:58 AM, TryFal said:

Hey Watercolour Dragon,

I read two things, two opposite things. You want to save time, but on the other hand a very technical painting scheme. The best tip I can give you here is choose one of those two. Or find a balance between these two. I like the idea on what you want with your dragon, but even with multiple years of painting experience I can't think of a way to achieve this is a small amount of time. Goodluck with sorting things out, and don't start mutliple project at ones, that way nothing will get finished ;).

Cathedral colours: darkgrey, gold and red/blood. If you have a picture of the building I could give you more.

Happy painting, Greets Miel

The timesaving's the fact I know there are tips for the repeated parts of jobs like undercoats- was just wondering what people have found works best, don't mind spending a lot of time getting the main paint right, for jobs like the dragon if I can figure (pun intended) out how to recreate that look I can see me spending a lot of time on it and probably a few sessions.

The first picture here and some of the interior ones fit what I'm after with the cathedral, that rather ghostly statue-like interior (I also have a few statue structures to paint so some tips for those would be helpful too) and quite dark, imposing, weathered exterior (Plus some weathering tips! I don't want much do I!)

https://retrogradecanvas.wordpress.com/2014/11/19/the-gothic-cathedral-heaven-on-earth/

Possibly a darker grey-black look externally to fit the darker mood and atmosphere of the story, so some sort of middle ground for the exterior, thoughts welcome!:

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/arch/gothic/cologne02.jpg

Finished Valyndra this weekend, happy with the end result! I didn't want to make an all red dragon as the images of her shows, for me that is created by all the fire around here. So I got inspired by some other people in the internet en got myself en a blue/black dragon with fire breading in her chest. Hope you guys like this idea and end result.

Cheers!

xbqBl6o.jpg

pJJlXnk.jpg

OIPfaI1.jpg

lYVxxnJ.jpg

Greets Miel

Great job on the Ettins, and in particular the tattoos. not easy thing to do. 

That being said, the fact you made the master blue and the minion red drives me crazy. It's inconsistent with the games base color convention.