Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reaper

Short summary of our local tournament in Trondheim, Norway

The Skirmish Imperial Assault scene isn't big around these parts, in fact this is the first tournament I can remember to have seen in our city ever; I knew I had to go.

Despite being a veteran of several miniature games, such as Warhammer Fantasy and Warmachine, I have not played a lot of IA skirmish, only the campaign. I hoped that some of the same strategies that works in those games would work well in IA as well, mainly being able to control the board, pick where fights should take place and overwhelm the opponent with high quality models, preferably some who could pick off some key pieces from a distance.

The Elite Alliance Rangers seemed to fit the bill of what I wanted quite nicely. They have formidable range and are able to output a lot of dmg with focus, something that C3PO and Gideon can happily provide them with. The new Jedi Luke also seemed like a steal, capable of an impressive alpha strike. I also wanted R2-D2 for his ability to get some command cards on the cheap. I rounded the list out with Elite Echo Base Troopers to act as objective holders, door openers, meat shields and general annoyance for the opponent. They also pack quite a punch if given the choice. So the list turned out like this:

Jedi Luke

eAlliance Rangers

eEcho Base Troopers

Gideon

C3PO

R2-D2

After looking a bit around online, it turns out I am not so creative as I thought, as a lot of people play an almost similar list, oh well...

I dragged a friend of mine with me to the tourney and there were also two other players there. Not an ideal turnout, but 4 people is enough to play a fun 3 round round-robin and it turned out great.

In the first game I drew the tourney organizer who played this list:

Banta Rider x2

rHK Assassin Droids w/Explosive Armaments

eNexu

Temporary Alliance

Gideon

C3PO

Beast Tamer

We played on the Obi-Wan map, the mission with the crates. The Alliance Rangers decided to go on a rampage in this game and just kill everything. I got most of the command cards I needed for them and they managed to take out the Nexu, the two Bantas with some help from Luke, and the HKs. I ended up winning 40-0 in the end with a Luke on 4hp. I had actually played Rebels against Scum with my friend a few nights before where he had a Banta and a Rancor. We found out that the two massives had a tendency to get in the way of each other and that is pretty much what happened this game. I concentrated on getting the Rangers in good positions and picked them off one by one. Still, it was a fun game against a great opponent.

Game 2 was against an Empire player with this list:

The Grand Inquisitor

rJet Troopers

eImperial Officer x2

Temporary Alliance

Dengar

Bossk

Advanced Com Systems

We played on the Banta Rider map, the one with the Dianoga. Seeing as he had Dengar, I knew I was going to be up in a brawl. Dengar simply isn't worth the 7pts you have to pay for him. I hoped I could use Luke to put some damage on the Dianoga and simply send R2 up to secure the terminal. He surprised me and ran most of his stuff up in the middle for a brawl. The Alliance Rangers got some good shots off on Dengar and killed him. He did some shenanigans with the eOfficers and commanded the Inquisitor to attack a few times, killing Gideon, a Ranger and an Echo Base Trooper in the process. Then his stuff disappeared to an angry Luke with Son of Skywalker and I won 40-11

In the third and last game I met my friend who had barely won his last game 40-38. He played Scum and ran the list I had helped him build:

Jabba the Hutt

Banta Rider

Bossk

eWeequay Pirates

eGammorean Guard

Beast Tamer

Black Market

We played on the ISB Headquarters map with the holocams. Luke dispatched the Gammorean Guards, while the Rangers once again performed admirably and killed Bossk and the Weequay as well as helping Luke take down the Banta. I won the battle 40-27 in the end. I had won my first Imperial Assault tournament!

The list was great, I am not sure I would have wanted to change anything at all. The only thing I am not sure about is the command card "Devotion" as I always seemed to pull it right after Luke had ran across the map to hack at stuff. The eRangers with Call of the Vanguard, Assasinate and Heightened Reflexes were fantastic, although you would expect them to be with all of that support. I had a really fun day and I hope that there will be more tournaments around here in the future. :)

Nice write up. Could you share your full command card list? Currently I'm trying to figure out similar list, but struggling to find rly good cards other than obvious ones.

thx