Sign in to follow this  
Psionics313

Do you need to buy 2nd edition?

I own the first edition, purchased it like a month before the 2nd edition was released.... Didn't about 2nd edition or I would have waited. I like the idea of full co-op as we have too many 1vs4 or traitor games we play with my play group. 

That being said, Can I convert the 1st edition easily over to the 2nd edition rules and playstyle? Or is that just a waste of time and dig into my wallet for the 2nd edition.

You cant convert the 1st ed to play using the 2nd ed rules, but all of the monsters, tiles, and investigators will convert over to the 2nd ed to add variety. This content has been released in one of the add on packs for the 2nd ed so you didnt waste your money.

Edited by Vazzucious

34 minutes ago, Psionics313 said:

Nice, so ill just need to buy the addon packs then. Good deal!

No, I believe he meant that one of the add on packs has the miniatures from edition 1.

tom

yeah, the problem is that with 1st edition you don't have the deck of cards used in 2nd edition. It's not the app per se, nor the tiles which can easily be proxied with pen and paper (you'll have the map on screen, so, drawing on paper what you see it's enough); it's that you won't be able to resolve most of the dynamics because you won't have the items or the specific Horror / Damage cards

Basically you will need to buy the second edition core set to play, but you will not need to buy the Reoccurring Nightmare second edition expansion because the first edition core sec contains all of those components. This is good place to start on the second edition because you will have greater variety of characters to choose from.

Also on the plus side, since you have the full first edition, you can play the great fan made scenarios from the original.

This gets to the biggest limitation of the second edition; currently there is no way to create and play fan content. 

From having 1st ed and 2nd ed, you'd gain access to the following adventures:

-Cycle of Eternity
-Escape from Innsmouth
-Shattered Bonds
-Rising Tide
-Dearly Departed (unlocked by having 1ed or its corresponding tile/figure collection)
And, if bought:
-What lies Within (DLC at ¨~5$, price varying slighly from region to region)

They have varying amounts of variants. 
The map tiles and monsters in 2nd ed are defferent &  new. I like that a good portion of it is based on Innsmouth settings. 

And, of course, you'd have the possibility of both soloing and up to 5-player cooperation. And then there's the app-driven narration. Intros and endings are spoken & written, in game events are written. 

Edited by Aelitafrommars