Sign in to follow this  
Psionics313

Catching up, Which expac to get first.

Haven't played in a year or two. My play group got sucked into Imperial Assault and didn't care to escape until just now. We always enjoyed Eldritch, and want to revisit it for weekly game nights again.  I own the core game, Forsaken Lore, and Mountains of Madness. Which of the other expansions would you guys say is #1 need to get first or most enjoyable?

You have the necessities covered. The rest would be based on preference. The Pyramids has 2 fun AOs and the final missing gate tokens for the main board. Dreamlands if you want something a little different. Carcossa if you are interested in Hastur or the investigators included. Strange Remnants is probably the best deal all around if you just want to dip. Otherwise just buy them all.

Edited by Meretrix

Awesome thank you! I figured with Forsaken Lore in my possession I wouldn't "need" much else. Didn't really care for MoM that much after playing it through (too tedious and not enough fun flavor). Is there a source I can peruse to view the contents like AO's and investigators that come in each expac? -

As always i say go in order. MoM is great for me just for the additional stuff it adds to the game, Investigators, Artifacts, Assets, Spells. Although the Main AO is a bore, Ithaqua is pretty amazing to me personally. Remnants is great, Pyramids is Great, Carcosa is Great, Dreamlands is great... it's all great!

Personally, I prefer the small boxes- not a big fan of sideboards.

They do tend to have harder AOs, though- so if you're looking for a challenge, that might be the way to go.  Otherwise, you might want to consider Under the Pyramids or Dreamlands.

I wasn't a big fan of Remnants. It added a mechanic that was the exact same thing as expeditions in all but name, so you just have 2 expedition decks going at once. We were kind of floored by the redundancy.

There's no order I'd really put on the expansions after Forsaken.

Forsaken -> Everything else -> Strange Remnants

It would just depend on which investigators/AOs/locations you were most interested in.

Edited by GrooveChamp

On 02/22/2017 at 2:29 PM, GrooveChamp said:

I wasn't a big fan of Remnants. It added a mechanic that was the exact same thing as expeditions in all but name, so you just have 2 expedition decks going at once. We were kind of floored by the redundancy.

There's no order I'd really put on the expansions after Forsaken.

Forsaken -> Everything else -> Strange Remnants

It would just depend on which investigators/AOs/locations you were most interested in.

i believe this was done, in part, for actual redundancy. a chief complaint being that some expedition areas were inaccessible or impractical to reach or waste time going to, even if they did give great benefits. this allowed basically two running expeditions in different areas giving them a bit more flexibility.

I've liked all the expansions, but I must say they really bloated the spells after strange remnants to great effect. My friend and I would just gather spells and hope no mythos card targeting spells would crop up. So spell casters were quite over powered. Now that there is more balance it's a better dynamic so I say buy them all!  Haha

Thanks for the input everyone. Was brushing up on rules and I can't recall or find anywhere about playing with expansion cards. Like MoM, Do we play with the contents of that expac (investigators, assets, tasks, etc) if we are playing an AO from MoM? Trying to figure out if I need to separate expansions or not.

I think the intent and almost all players play with all the content. The content that are exclusive for the side board is only used when specific AO or certain prelude is used.

8 hours ago, Psionics313 said:

Thanks for the input everyone. Was brushing up on rules and I can't recall or find anywhere about playing with expansion cards. Like MoM, Do we play with the contents of that expac (investigators, assets, tasks, etc) if we are playing an AO from MoM? Trying to figure out if I need to separate expansions or not.

Hi Psionics, for what it's worth I own the Core Set, FL, SR, MoM, and SoC and purchased them in that order. I began mixing the decks together as other people have stated. Although you can do this we'd noticed the game had started to drag. It just felt for lack of a better term, bloated.

Last weekend I removed all the MoM and SoC cards from the decks.  We had the best run in quite some time, the game was noticeably more enjoyable and streamlined.  If I get the urge to battle Hastur or the Arctic AOs, I'll add the cards back in for just that session, otherwise they'll stay in the box.

One caveat, I did keep the cards in that are required by the investigators, so I was still able to use them, but this only wound up adding maybe 15 cards to the various item or condition decks.

ie. Daisy Walker gets the Old Journal Unique Asset, Mike McG gets Wanted Conditions, Wendy gets Elusive, George Barnaby gets Investment (and Funding conditions), etc.

I used a combination of the Eldritch Horror user created app and the new card caddy over on BGG to keep others from using those cards.

HtH.

Thanks for the albeit conflicting suggestions. I've always played with all owned content in one deck or pile, but like you mentioned, the bloating can get troublesome. I may have to sort through and cherry pick what content we want and don't want to play with.