MegaSilver

77 Plus!

Still salty that Oz doesn't get a system open even though X-Wing is 'yuuuuge' down here.  (No one does X-Wing better than we do; believe me....).  Sorry, I digress.

Also, I wish there was a way to vote that didn't involve Twitter.  Not everyone uses the platform; alternatives would be appreciated.

I must admin I'm a little confused by this, as I don't play anything else which uses a 'draft' format.

As I read it, players will be building a 77 point squad, and then choose from one of the 'mini' 23-28 point squads available - once one of those squads is taken by another player it's no longer a choice.

But what about points limits? 77 + 23 is 100 - but if any of the remaining squads to choose from are between 24 and 28 points, this puts that player over 100. Do they just get the extra points and upgrades? Or do they have to drop other stuff from their list to get back under 100 points?

3 hours ago, Hedgehogmech said:

I must admin I'm a little confused by this, as I don't play anything else which uses a 'draft' format.

As I read it, players will be building a 77 point squad, and then choose from one of the 'mini' 23-28 point squads available - once one of those squads is taken by another player it's no longer a choice.

But what about points limits? 77 + 23 is 100 - but if any of the remaining squads to choose from are between 24 and 28 points, this puts that player over 100. Do they just get the extra points and upgrades? Or do they have to drop other stuff from their list to get back under 100 points?

My best guess is that there's no hard points limit, but people with the lowest squad point total for their "77" will get first choice in the draft.  That way you can theoretically go over your 100 point maximum, but you'll have less choice about what you get.  This is all baseless speculation however!:)

Edited by Jarval

So, the contest is, what, build the most interesting and efficient Y Wing, B Wing or TIE Advanced you can... But you can't use any unique upgrades or pilots? That's... not going to leave much diversity. 

20 minutes ago, MacchuWA said:

So, the contest is, what, build the most interesting and efficient Y Wing, B Wing or TIE Advanced you can... But you can't use any unique upgrades or pilots? That's... not going to leave much diversity. 

The lack of an elite upgrade on a lot of the higher PS generics really hurts. The variance between ships is also going to be... weird. One person gets a Protectorate for their Scum list, but two other players will be stuck with a spice runner and a bloated Z-95.

12 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Still salty that Oz doesn't get a system open even though X-Wing is 'yuuuuge' down here.  (No one does X-Wing better than we do; believe me....).

Orange Leader is overcosted, no matter how many people seem to like him.  Although, with tiny hands, not fouling the minis while placing templates is a breeze.

They keep saying 23-28 pt "mini squad" in the article that confuses me. Maybe I'm too thick to understand.

This is how I think it goes:

IF you go to the Courscant Invitational you will build a 77 point squad list from the generic ships/pilots they mention.

WE the community, can submit a 23-28 point ship, a Y for Scum, B for Rebs, and TIE Adv. for Imps.?

• The pilot and upgrade cards you chose. Abbreviations are acceptable if necessary and understandable. Remember: In order to ensure squad legality for players, no unique pilots or upgrades can be used, and total points must be between 23 and 28.

THEN, take a pic of your mini squad in a creative and kooky-cool way and tweet it to @FFGOP

• Attach a photo of your mini-squad’s ship, pilot card, and upgrade cards. We want to see some creative staging: use some tokens or other components to communicate visually how you see this mini-squad contributing to its player’s victory!

Here's my issue: Are we to build ONE 23 to 28 point ship for the Coruscant attendees to choose from, or is each ship in the 77 point list 23-28 points (with upgrades, etc.) totaling 77 points and the attendees will choose from the tweeted lists we make?

A little more clarity would be nice.

Edited by Force Majeure

6 hours ago, Procastination said:

Placing bets on TLT thug?

I'm actually betting it WON'T be.  Look at last years voting for the invitational, people didn't vote for the most powerful ship for each faction, we wanted to see the champions do something interesting with lesser-used stuff.  I'm betting the same will be true for this year.  Personally I won't vote for any build with a TLT y-wing.  Personally I submitted a btl ion y-wing with r4, chips and plasma torpedo.

3 hours ago, MacchuWA said:

The y-wing has a lot of options for diversity.  You've got what, 5 different turrets, you can go torpedoes, you can use bomb loadout and get bombs, etc.  Lot of different build options and ways to fly it.

B-wing and tie adv are more limited, though they at least still have some options.  Both have systems, got torpedoes or missiles to play with.

4 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Sooooooo what happens to the prize when several people inevitably created the same winning list.  First to submit wins?

I think that is where the creative presentation comes in.  The person that has the most creative picture will get their squad represented in the case of multiple people coming up with the same mini-squad build.

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 6:20 AM, Dr Zoidberg said:

Also, I wish there was a way to vote that didn't involve Twitter.  Not everyone uses the platform; alternatives would be appreciated.

At least it is not Instagram only as so many contests nowadays. No smartphone, no competition for you. While I am not fond of Twitter either, it can be used by lots of platforms.

9 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Would a web form be so much to ask for?

I'd guess in the decade of social media FFG is aiming for clicks/hashtags, thus generating more exposition for their game, maybe generating more buys. A web form doesn't do this.