Wired4War

No one excited about lore?

1 minute ago, drkpnthr said:

I don't think this tangent is taking us anywhere productive in discussing RUNEWARS TMG lore. I have a question: What is the nature of the Free Cities of Daqan? Are they just cities-states rather than baronies? What is the title of their lords? Do they feature in any of the Descent adventures or other Terrinoth games? How do they interact with the 'council of barons' that rule the baronies? Does anyone know what alignment Kari is supposed to have? I understand her whole 'friend of the elves' thing, but is there a particular faction/lord she represents?

This is a difficult question actually.  The free cities are large metropolitan areas ruled over by counts and barons (they don't seem to know the actual distinction) or various ruling bodies.  They are semi autonomous, and feature in Runebound, Descent, and Runewars boardgame.  The cities are at the mercy of the grey council and the barons.  Each baron is an autocrat that rules his barony, usually from a castle.  The barons are military leaders who presumably have the right to tax and duty to protect their own barony and the city within it, but they go to the cities themselves to gather support, new troops and of course to recruit adventurers.  Kari seems like she's a Daqan citizen who went to learn from the elves and has come back to aid her barony.  She's a new character so her origin place and allegiance hasn't been confirmed, but as Nerekhal has the best rangers I would guess she's from there. 

7 minutes ago, Taki said:

"Only thing I have challenged is the myth that Blizzard games were created as Warhammer games but that license was pulled last minute due to legal shenanigans and that there exists some kind of conspiracy by both companies to cover that fact up."

This is in fact not true.  What you challenged was this statement

"2 of blizzards 3 original IP we based off of games that feel through after GW pulled out and they became great games because of it."

Yes, exactly. I challenged the statement that GW pulled the license from Blizzard after the two companies have already been in cooperation.

2 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

Only Baron I call recall from memory is achareth, who is revealed to be a scheming evil sorcerer in Descent, though I am sure other Terrinoth games mention other Barons by name.

Another baron is Baron Frederick from BattleLore: Command. I don't remember which barony is his, though.

1 minute ago, player1750031 said:

Yes, exactly. I challenged the statement that GW pulled the license from Blizzard after the two companies have already been in cooperation.

Your use of English seems to be different from mine, saying something is "Based" on something else has nothing to do with company collaboration or licensing.  D&D is Based on Tolkein's work.  The Warhammer concept of the lords of chaos is Based on Moorcock's work.  Warcrafted is Based on warhammer's fantasy game play.  This speaks not at all to companies working together, but the sources of inspiration.

3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Another baron is Baron Frederick from BattleLore: Command. I don't remember which barony is his,

There's also Baron Greigory or Rhynn,  Baron Zachareth (villain) of Carthridge, Baron Hadrian who commands the Rocs,

11 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

As far as I know and understand, the lands of 'Daqan Lords' are divided into thirteen baronies, each ruled by a Baron and those Barons are the actual 'Daqan Lords'. Each barony has a capital city, and those capital cities are collectively known as The Free Cities. Baronies seem to be largely independent states in of themselves, but technically they are all ruled by the council of the Barons collectively. I imagine it a cross between ancient Greece city-states and the US federal government. Only Baron I call recall from memory is Zachareth, who is revealed to be a scheming evil sorcerer in Descent, though I am sure other Terrinoth games mention other Barons by name.

As for Kari, we currently know absolutely nothing about her beyond the fact she likes punk-rock hairstyles.

It may have changed, but my understanding is that the Free Cities are city-states that while not formally ruled by Barons are confederated with the Daqan Lords but rule themselves. Their style of governance probably varies, one of the free cities for example was run by dwarves once upon a time and another that the Dragons destroyed was a city based on cooperation between all the species.

1 minute ago, Waywardpaladin said:

It may have changed, but my understanding is that the Free Cities are city-states that while not formally ruled by Barons are confederated with the Daqan Lords but rule themselves. Their style of governance probably varies, one of the free cities for example was run by dwarves once upon a time and another that the Dragons destroyed was a city based on cooperation between all the species.

That would be Forge.

Just now, Waywardpaladin said:

As an aside, I noticed reading over some old lore that the Latari elves come from "the Empyrean" and were exiled for some reason. The Empyrean is a dimension at odds with the Y'nfernal.

So elves are fallen angels?

I would say, yes, very similar to Tolkien's history for the elves in The Silmarillion. In those stories, the elves were immortal beings that lived close to the gods, but they got sent to the mortal realm and have to go back to their harbors on those ships. I don't remember the Silmarillion much, but the origin stories for elves in Menara and Middle Earth have many parallels.

4 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

As an aside, I noticed reading over some old lore that the Latari elves come from "the Empyrean" and were exiled for some reason. The Empyrean is a dimension at odds with the Y'nfernal.

So elves are fallen angels?

I don't really get that sense, it feels like they're colonists here, and the colony is failing

1 minute ago, Taki said:

I don't really get that sense, it feels like they're colonists here, and the colony is failing

Just recalling the fluff saying the Elves burn with shame for their exile and fight the Y'nfernal to try to prove their worthiness to return to the Empyrean.

2 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Just recalling the fluff saying the Elves burn with shame for their exile and fight the Y'nfernal to try to prove their worthiness to return to the Empyrean.

I don't remember that one, where's it from?

"The Latari Elves are a strange and distant people, when viewed through the eyes of the younger races. Beautiful and wise, they remain aloof from the day-to-day concerns of the world, safe in their great forest of the Aymhelin. They seem almost otherworldly, and if    Elven    legend    is    to    be    believed    this    is    entirely    true:    the    Elves    are   not creatures of the mortal world, but rather a fallen people, exiles from the heavenly realm of the Empyrean. 

Now, unnamed things stir once more at the borders of the Aymhelin. Lord Aenoeth has not forgotten the occupation of the Dragonlords and the shame of their exile from the Empyrean drives the Elves to oppose the Ynfernael in all things, and so the armies of the Latari Elves ride forth again. They will oppose the growing darkness, and in so doing expunge some portion of the shame of their fall, and perhaps prove themselves worthy to return to the Empyrean."

These are the first and last paragraphs of the Elf faction description from the Rune Age rule book. (Page 18)

Edited by Budgernaut