Wired4War

No one excited about lore?

My favorite bit of lore is where the Daqaan lords learn to stick the pointy end of their spears into the waiqar but then realize piercing weapons don't really affect skellz (@Muz333) since they don't have organs and such so they just have an epic dance off...wait...I don't actually know anything about this world...

19 minutes ago, jek said:

My favorite bit of lore is where the Daqaan lords learn to stick the pointy end of their spears into the waiqar but then realize piercing weapons don't really affect skellz (@Muz333) since they don't have organs and such so they just have an epic dance off...wait...I don't actually know anything about this world...

Just offer your opponent the chance to resolve each match with a dance off instead and you'll make it so.

17 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Just offer your opponent the chance to resolve each match with a dance off instead and you'll make it so.

your getting a bit too close to the Age of Sigmar rules...

37 minutes ago, jek said:

Waiqar be all like

80Bgs5e.gif

On 2/15/2017 at 9:02 PM, Taki said:

We're not excited about hte lore, because most of us already knew it.  Many of us, like me, played it when it originally came out as diskwars and battlemist.  If there were something new in there for the old timers maybe we wouldn't be so meh about it.

On 2/16/2017 at 4:39 PM, Waywardpaladin said:

I played Disk Wars a lot, and then was surprised by Runebound and the like because they just jumped ahead hundreds of years it seems and dropped all the Dragonkin civil war plot points and such. The big war pretty much because "Oh, Timmoran finally got his act together, killed Llovar, rescued Waiqar, (who now seems a bit... off... after his torture" and apparently Daqan, whose disk I had and just seemed to be part of the Three Musketeers gets nominated king I guess?

The Mahkim pretty much disappear, the Uthuk aren't genocided for whatever reason, orcs go wander off, and Dragonkin disappear.

I wonder about everything that happened in between? And the whole Dragon Overlords from another continent?

On 2/16/2017 at 5:06 PM, Elrad said:

It's still sold not so expansively on ebay.. but not the base game, don't know why...

Okay, folks. I found the 4 Diskwars Legions boxes on ebay with a starting bid of $39.99. I bid on it and nobody else did, so I got it for relatively cheap compared to the $150 asking price the seller had posted for buy-it-now. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it and trying it out!

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Okay, folks. I found the 4 Diskwars Legions boxes on ebay with a starting bid of $39.99. I bid on it and nobody else did, so I got it for relatively cheap compared to the $150 asking price the seller had posted for buy-it-now. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it and trying it out!

Make sure to do a post on the which disks you got!

2 hours ago, Souppilgrim said:

I'm the local Runewars miniatures hype guy, but the lore is the hardest selling point.  People are excited about the mechanisms, but the generic wow feeling lore just falls flat.

We have a starting point and I'm sure FFG will work hard on the lore over the coming years. Even Warhammer had to start somewhere.

19 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

We have a starting point and I'm sure FFG will work hard on the lore over the coming years. Even Warhammer had to start somewhere.

Yeah, I don't think that lore is something that FFG struggles with when they put their mind to it. Look at the Android universe and the Arkham Horror files stuff.

3 hours ago, Souppilgrim said:

I'm the local Runewars miniatures hype guy, but the lore is the hardest selling point.  People are excited about the mechanisms, but the generic wow feeling lore just falls flat.

Unfortunate that Disk Wars was going before WoW burst out on the scene, and it is very different from WarCraft. Certainly more Tolkein in taste I'd say.  Terrinoth lore does focus too much on the Dragon Runes for my tastes, Disk Wars was set before those were made so it had less to do with magical mcguffins and more to do with politics.

Diskwars was 1999, we had already had Warcraft and Warcraft II by that point, and both came with lore book that really fleshed out the universe. I don't think it's ridiculous to think some of the similarities weren't inspired by the Warcraft lore...

2 minutes ago, drkpnthr said:

Diskwars was 1999, we had already had Warcraft and Warcraft II by that point, and both came with lore book that really fleshed out the universe. I don't think it's ridiculous to think some of the similarities weren't inspired by the Warcraft lore...

Warcraft 1 was a retrofit of the Warhammer game they tried to make.

Warcraft II saw a massive retcon, III moreso in order to make the Horde protagonist worthy.

Would be like claiming WoW pulled the whole Dragon Aspects warring with each other from Disk Wars because it had a dragon civil war in it.

The original Warcraft was pretty original in terms of the lore, and contained its own story within the campaign that was very unique. Any retcon in Warcraft II was validated by the dynamic they created in expanding the lore, and Warcraft III more so (the Thrall campaign was adapted from the failed Warcraft RPG game about Thrall as a hero). Warcraft was well fleshed out, and had its own thematic that really was different from other games at the time. I don't think it really compares to the Warhammer universe other than both took the idea of the evil Orc horde from LOTR.

I wasn't saying that Diskwars was copied off of Warcraft, I don't know enough about the game, and clearly the lore is different and it has a unique atmosphere. I was just pointing out that saying Diskwars came out before WoW was not a valid logical argument of why it couldn't have influences from the Warcraft universe that was already very popular at the time it was being developed (like I said, the universes both seem very unique).

59 minutes ago, jek said:

2 of blizzards 3 original IP we based off of games that feel through after GW pulled out and they became great games because of it.

That is a flat out untrue rumor that continues its paces around the Internet. At one point I was tired of seeing the outragous claims people made on the subject with no proof given, so I spent the better part of a day investigating it on the Internet. The jist of it is:

The only thing that actually happened and was confirmed by the people that made Warcraft, was that they were and still are tabletop enthusiasts and fans of Warhammer, so chose to base some of the aesthetics of the game on that because they considered it cooler than the traditional Tolkienesque tropes more popular at the time. At one point, they considered reaching out to GW to obtain the license, but eventually decided against that because they reasoned they'd prefer full artistic control over their game. Let me stress that again: making Warcraft into a Warhammer game was CONSIDERED at one point, but there was NEVER any attempt made to secure the license.

Bear in mind, at this point we are talking about a couple of guys in their early twenties sitting in a basement doing coding on their first ever game while sustaining themselves with pizza and beer, so 'considering the idea of licensing' was most probably nothing more than one of them going 'hey, wouldn't it be cool if...' and the other guys going 'yeah, but then we'd have to do all that legal stuff and that's dumb and boring, hand me another beer'.

That version of the story has been confirmed in interviews with the original Warcraft developers, which are available on the Internet. Over time, it got passed around, warped, misquoted and since the Internet loves conspiracies, it grew into an exaggerated urban legend about a supposed conflict between Blizzard and Games Workshop and underhanded stealing of IP. Some people even claim there were some kind of secret lawsuits and recompense money paid, the details of which were never publicized, which is frankly ridiculous if you know anything about how lawsuits and the judicial system works.

Edited by player1750031

13 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

That is a flat out untrue rumor that continues its paces around the Internet. At one point I was tired of seeing the outragous claims people made on the subject with no proof given, so I spent the better part of a day investigating it on the Internet. The jist of it is:

The only thing that actually happened and was confirmed by the people that made Warcraft, was that they were and still are tabletop enthusiasts and fans of Warhammer, so chose to base some of the aesthetics of the game on that because they considered it cooler than the traditional Tolkienesque tropes more popular at the time. At one point, they considered reaching out to GW to obtain the license, but eventually decided against that because they reasoned they'd prefer full artistic control over their game. Bear in mind, at this point we are talking about a couple of guys in their early twenties sitting in a basement doing coding on their first ever game while sustaining themselves with pizza and beer, if not other intoxicants, so 'considering the idea of licensing' was most probably nothing more than one of them going 'hey, wouldn't it be cool if...' and the other guys going 'yeah, but then we'd have to do all that legal stuff and that's dumb and boring'.

That version of the story has been confirmed in interviews with the original Warcraft developers, which are available on the Internet. Over time, it got passed around, warped, misquoted and since the Internet loves conspiracies, it grew into an exaggerated urban legend about a supposed conflict between Blizzard and Games Workshop and underhanded stealing of IP. Some people even claim there were some kind of secret lawsuits and recompense money paid, the details of which were never publicized, which is frankly ridiculous if you know anything about how lawsuits and the judicial system works.

Ok you are right, I was misinformed and apologize for my misinformation

1 hour ago, player1750031 said:

The only thing that actually happened and was confirmed by the people that made Warcraft, was that they were and still are tabletop enthusiasts and fans of Warhammer, so chose to base some of the aesthetics of the game on that because they considered it cooler than the traditional Tolkienesque tropes more popular at the time. At one point, they considered reaching out to GW to obtain the license, but eventually decided against that because they reasoned they'd prefer full artistic control over their game. Let me stress that again: making Warcraft into a Warhammer game was CONSIDERED at one point, but there was NEVER any attempt made to secure the license.

Bear in mind, at this point we are talking about a couple of guys in their early twenties sitting in a basement doing coding on their first ever game while sustaining themselves with pizza and beer, so 'considering the idea of licensing' was most probably nothing more than one of them going 'hey, wouldn't it be cool if...' and the other guys going 'yeah, but then we'd have to do all that legal stuff and that's dumb and boring, hand me another beer'.

If one cannot see the clear similarities between the IPs then one is blind.  They are different enough not to be the same thing, but Blizzards works are Clearly and Obviously inspired by GWs IP, and honestly better executed.  It's not a rumor, it's a belief.  It is based on all of us who played all those games thinking "hey, this is like X game" when we bought and played warcraft or starcraft all those years ago in college.  Yes the IP and lore of those games advanced and changed, just like the RuneBound universe since disk wars, but to say they are unrelated is boldly short sighted.

Just now, Taki said:

If one cannot see the clear similarities between the IPs then one is blind.  They are different enough not to be the same thing, but Blizzards works are Clearly and Obviously inspired by GWs IP, and honestly better executed.  It's not a rumor, it's a belief.  It is based on all of us who played all those games thinking "hey, this is like X game" when we bought and played warcraft or starcraft all those years ago in college.  Yes the IP and lore of those games advanced and changed, just like the RuneBound universe since disk wars, but to say they are unrelated is boldly short sighted.

I'm sorry, did you read my post that you have quoted?

Nowhere have I said that the two IPs are unrelated. I have in fact stated very clearly that Blizzard developers were and still are fans of Warhammer  and have consciously based the aesthetics and tropes of their games on aesthetics and tropes of GW properties, which they themselves freely admit.

Not unlike, say, Pacific Rim borrowing visuals and tropes from far Eastern Kaiju stories. Or even original 40k designers being fans of Dune and consciously basing the aesthetics and tropes of Rogue Trader on Dune, which they have also stated freely in interviews available on the Internet. Fun unrelated fact, one of them eventually quit GW and spent several years working at Blizzard.

Only thing I have challenged is the myth that Blizzard games were created as Warhammer games but that license was pulled last minute due to legal shenanigans and that there exists some kind of conspiracy by both companies to cover that fact up.

I don't think this tangent is taking us anywhere productive in discussing RUNEWARS TMG lore. I have a question: What is the nature of the Free Cities of Daqan? Are they just cities-states rather than baronies? What is the title of their lords? Do they feature in any of the Descent adventures or other Terrinoth games? How do they interact with the 'council of barons' that rule the baronies? Does anyone know what alignment Kari is supposed to have? I understand her whole 'friend of the elves' thing, but is there a particular faction/lord she represents?

2 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

Only thing I have challenged is the myth that Blizzard games were created as Warhammer games but that license was pulled last minute due to legal shenanigans and that there exists some kind of conspiracy by both companies to cover that fact up.

This is in fact not true.  What you challenged was this statement

2 hours ago, jek said:

2 of blizzards 3 original IP we based off of games that feel through after GW pulled out and they became great games because of it.

It's very true that people feel both Warcraft 1 and Starcraft 1 are based off Warhammer and 40k respectively, I know I did, all those years ago in college, when I first played them.  Certainly those were my first thoughts playing it "oh this is like warhammer with slightly different units."

I don't think this tangent is taking us anywhere productive in discussing RUNEWARS TMG lore. I have a question: What is the nature of the Free Cities of Daqan? Are they just cities-states rather than baronies? What is the title of their lords? Do they feature in any of the Descent adventures or other Terrinoth games? How do they interact with the 'council of barons' that rule the baronies? Does anyone know what alignment Kari is supposed to have? I understand her whole 'friend of the elves' thing, but is there a particular faction/lord she represents?

As far as I know and understand, the lands of 'Daqan Lords' are divided into thirteen baronies, each ruled by a Baron and those Barons are the actual 'Daqan Lords'. Each barony has a capital city, and those capital cities are collectively known as The Free Cities. Baronies seem to be largely independent states in of themselves, but technically they are all ruled by the council of the Barons collectively. I imagine it a cross between ancient Greece city-states and the US federal government. Only Baron I call recall from memory is Zachareth, who is revealed to be a scheming evil sorcerer in Descent, though I am sure other Terrinoth games mention other Barons by name.

As for Kari, we currently know absolutely nothing about her beyond the fact she likes punk-rock hairstyles.

Edited by player1750031