Wired4War

No one excited about lore?

For weeks everyone is complaining about no news, we finally get some news Monday and I don't see a single thread about it. The article itself wasn't that exciting but for me the lore will be important because there is so little out there. I'll try a battle box or core set of most miniature games to try out the models and rules, but if I can't get sucked into the lore and read novels or online discussions on the setting when I'm not painting or playing, I never buy more models or play more than a few games. Investing hundreds of dollars to build an army and maybe just as many hours of painting isn't going to happen without some connection. That is a huge advantage of 40k and star wars, and even privateer press is quickly expanding their library in the iron kingdoms (warmachine and hordes). I hope FFG really spends some time on developing Terrinoth so it has more personality than just generic fantasy.

There was one, it has just gotten pushed down a bit because of so much activity on the other threads.

I've been enjoying the concept art a lot, and the Waiqar section really had me thinking about what to do with theming them. I've changed my paint scheme around a bit as a result. 

Edited by drkpnthr

Wow, @drkpnthr, you snagged one of the new Runewars profile pics! That's so awesome! Anyone who says FFG isn't serious about Runewars doesn't realize that they now have profile pics available!

So far, it's easy for me to keep my Gand, since there are no Uthuk pics, but I think I may abandon my old pic if Uthuk profile pics go up. It'll be a shame since my pic now sort of matches my BGG one.

We're not excited about hte lore, because most of us already knew it.  Many of us, like me, played it when it originally came out as diskwars and battlemist.  If there were something new in there for the old timers maybe we wouldn't be so meh about it.

The art in the lore article was awesome, the undead legion was just excellent and has me eager to see more art from the team.
The lore wasn't bad, but it wasn't new. I feel like they were setting up some outside element as to why Waiqar could suddenly be proficient in necromancy. I'm pretty eager to see the
lore book. Hopefully, we get some real meat and potatoes in that.

I enjoyed the lore article :) especially because I love Battlelore 2nd Ed and its great to find out more about the world of Terrinoth world

I would have preferred Waiqar to have suffered the same fate as his army and someone else raising them back from the dead instead of Waiqar simply reciting an unknown spell. 

this lore kinda reminds me of this gem :)

I'll be a bit critic but let's face it : writing novels and lore books is a truly good thing...as long as it is well written. And for that, Gamesworkshop was lucky. nearly all the novels concerning Warhammer  40k are some must buys like Horus Heresy (but maybe only the first few volumes that have a continuous storyline, the rest never appealed me and it was a waste of money to me) or the Gaunt's Ghosts who immerge you in the fantastic lore of Imperial Guard.

But, in my opinion, this could be also a terrible thing. Today, Gamesworkshop edit its universes with ton of books that i won't read and the only purpose of those novels are to sell... look at what they did with one of their base box in W40k (some years ago) : they had published a small book with fairly black hard cover and the book was full of spell mistakes and not interesting at all. That is a toss for you the buyer who want to delve in the universe.

So yeah Terrinoth is maybe not yet a very well structured universe because we lack a good world map and some good links made bewteen the games (sorry I'm fairly new to Terrinoth and Descent, while wonderful, has not helped me finding my way in it. I mean, nonsense maps with nonsense names... You do name the places by the name of the quest...:blink:... Yeah thanks that's like naming all the places in your town not by their name but by what you do there....instead of "Walmart" you say "the place I'm due to go nearly every day with my mom and dad to do shopping instead of staying at home playing video games or Runewars... or the "theater" by "the place I first kissed my ex-ex-ex-girlfriend and where I never returned because Her dad works there..." and all that kind of things.... Ok, Descent didn't go that far...I confess:P).

So to me, as an ignorant newbie, I want :

1) a world map

2) a structured storyline from 0 to 100

3) a portrait gallery with GOOD biographies of each heroes or important dudes (come on, was it difficult to tell us more about any of them in Descent that merely "He fought for centuries as an undead".... :blink: ? )

4) Yeah, as an expansion to Descent maybe, or in a big Terrinoth book, thanks to show us every single area we've been exploring in that game on a clear map or give us those maps with fluff names instead of to-do-lists or quest names...).

That's all for me, the universe looks not so young but good cleaning of it wouldn't be bad and would federate more players, indeed. Because it's a great universe. Look at those games who introduced so many kind of monsters, units, heroes and with all of that, don't tell me there's nothing better to do than just throwing pieces of infos here and there in dark corners of rulebooks that you must piece and complile to win the insane prize of a poster with the most sexy heroins in the game totally nak..... no sorry I lost my way in the Alice's Labyrinth... without a map.... thanks.... Oh a White rabbit maybe I could ask him...Oh Mister the rabbit... Why late for what ? He don't leave me here alone...oh **** where's my gun ?.....

Edited by Elrad

I have always been a fan of the Gotrek and Felix series.

I think one thing that keeps xwing so popular is the connection to the IP. Runewars (& FFG) really needs to start hiring some writers to do Adventures in Terrinoth books (and manga or comics or webcomics) just to spread their IP out to people who don't already play FFG or wargaming. Let some cool writers make some adventures for Kari and Ardus, describe the personal enmity between them as their armies clash. It doesn't all need to be in battle, but needs to focus on the IP as an independent product FFG is selling.

@Elrad I would to see a bunch of cool maps. I think we need part of the FFG site that is just Lore of Terrinoth with interactive maps and hero profiles and Music/Songs of Terrinoth. GW has never had pro soundtracks made I think, why not some battle music to listen to while you play/paint? One of the keys to the SW IP is knowing what the universe sounds like. I would love to see them hire somebody like Jeremy Soule but even Two Steps From Hell or Audiomachine are out there doing amazing work. They should be having Cosplay events on Facebook, getting fans to dress up as Descent/RW heroes and act out battles. I guess I would love to see more world building backed by fan building an independent IP

I'd like to see this game take on Lore how Privateer Press took it on, slowly ramping up lore with each major release as well as having a page or two about each unit in the game (army books for PP maybe just part of the insert that comes in the each expansion here) eventually novels would be a cool Idea but I think fleshing out the lore while expanding the game is a better starting place for now, Yes I understand that there is a decent amount of lore from the other games already but it is not as available to many of us who are really only getting into the world with this game.

Lore is key in any tabletop game world/universe, it's what a lot of gamer's build their armies on.  A great way for FFG to expand the Terrinoth lore is to bring out novels and even a RPG based in Terrinoth (they have a great game system that was first used with Warhammer 3rd ed and then again with the current Star Wars RPG system).

Only time can tell if we have a game world with something special that stands out from the rest of the other many tabletop wargames, that's why we need the lore from day one, over time it could change and grow with the games over time.

I love how FFG has been doing articles to bring in some community people with XWing and other games to talk about their views of the game. I would love to see some kind of 'artists corner' for RW pop up a couple times a year at GenCon or something where they have people send in photos of their latest wave minis all painted up and hand out 'silver medal for mounted Kari' awards or something, just to inspire painting and community outreach.

For this type of game, I don't care much about lore or backstory.  I just want to see two armies beating each other up.

I've been a big fan of several Runebound-world games (Battlelore 2nd, Descent and Runebound) and at least in part that's because they're fairly generic.  There's a little bit of backstory but we've been free to inject our own story and personality to these games and we enjoy that.

I'm also not a fan of too much lore... that can weigh down a game a limit what people want to do.  People are already hoping/assuming the Latari Elves will have awesome archers because... Elves... but while part of me agrees with that it'd be great to see Elves portrayed some other way.  I also don't want to see typical internet debates over how Lord Crumplenut or whatever should have had 5 Strength because he has the flaming sword of Trellehg'vehen but instead they gave him 4 and so on.

1 minute ago, Daverman said:

For this type of game, I don't care much about lore or backstory.  I just want to see two armies beating each other up.

I've been a big fan of several Runebound-world games (Battlelore 2nd, Descent and Runebound) and at least in part that's because they're fairly generic.  There's a little bit of backstory but we've been free to inject our own story and personality to these games and we enjoy that.

I'm also not a fan of too much lore... that can weigh down a game a limit what people want to do.  People are already hoping/assuming the Latari Elves will have awesome archers because... Elves... but while part of me agrees with that it'd be great to see Elves portrayed some other way.  I also don't want to see typical internet debates over how Lord Crumplenut or whatever should have had 5 Strength because he has the flaming sword of Trellehg'vehen but instead they gave him 4 and so on.

I agree with you. The clear lack of precise background may help the player with a lot of imagination or who want to personalize his army from stances to backstory and colors. My point is mainly to have a structured overview. May that be general and not that packed with unworthy details any player will fill in on his/her own, it's a good idea. But 32 pages of lore... let's see what they do have in stock for us.

I have looked for infos about Ardus Ix'Erebus, since I found nearly none, I already imagined something for him and his pales... but I'll wait till I read that book before deciding where I'll go with those naughty skeletons...

36 minutes ago, Daverman said:

People are already hoping/assuming the Latari Elves will have awesome archers because... Elves... but while part of me agrees with that it'd be great to see Elves portrayed some other way.  

To be fair, it has less to do with preconceived notions about what a typical elf should be and more to do with what is established in-universe already. My knowledge of fantasy elves, for example, comes from 2 places: The Lord of the Rings and the Runebound universe. I don't have any biases that elves should be archers except that in Runewars, the grunts of the Latari army were archers. They reinforced that in Rune Age by making archers the 1-cost unit for the Latari while archers were the 2-cost unit for Daqan and Waiqar. They've already set up some expectations in previous games and I think they should think hard before turning their backs on what has gone before.

Edited by Budgernaut

To be honest, I don't much about the lore even after playing Runebound, Runewars, or Descent. The lore article was the first time I really learned anything about the setting and I hope the lore book is the beginning of more of those books. Better see one in any large box for the game.

I played Disk Wars a lot, and then was surprised by Runebound and the like because they just jumped ahead hundreds of years it seems and dropped all the Dragonkin civil war plot points and such. The big war pretty much because "Oh, Timmoran finally got his act together, killed Llovar, rescued Waiqar, (who now seems a bit... off... after his torture" and apparently Daqan, whose disk I had and just seemed to be part of the Three Musketeers gets nominated king I guess?

The Mahkim pretty much disappear, the Uthuk aren't genocided for whatever reason, orcs go wander off, and Dragonkin disappear.

I wonder about everything that happened in between? And the whole Dragon Overlords from another continent?

21 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

I played Disk Wars a lot, and then was surprised by Runebound and the like because they just jumped ahead hundreds of years it seems and dropped all the Dragonkin civil war plot points and such. The big war pretty much because "Oh, Timmoran finally got his act together, killed Llovar, rescued Waiqar, (who now seems a bit... off... after his torture" and apparently Daqan, whose disk I had and just seemed to be part of the Three Musketeers gets nominated king I guess?

The Mahkim pretty much disappear, the Uthuk aren't genocided for whatever reason, orcs go wander off, and Dragonkin disappear.

I wonder about everything that happened in between? And the whole Dragon Overlords from another continent?

You and @Taki make me really wish I played Diskwars. So much knowledge seems to be lost to the ages.