ZelDut

Using the force to Catch your fall or jump down

I know this had to be talked about already but I can't seem to find anything definitive. Can the Move Force ability be used to stop or slow your intentional jump down or free fall from range short or medium even long or extreme? You see it all the time in the movies, Clone Wars and Rebels. I'm thinking a Move check silhouette 1 and Discipline vs easy check (short) difficult check (medium) or hard check (Long) with any setback dice for wind or obstacles. How do you weigh in on this one? 

This has been discussed extensively in a thread that was recently active.

To summarize; the devs have said specifically that Force Move can be used to "Levitate" your own body.

Obviously it's a Force check you don't want to fail (or rely on when it's life-or-death), and the Movement is "slow and weak" as per the description of Move Power. Which means you are exposed to attacks and/or could be moved by something else (a speeder, or opposed Move check). And also it should require a Coordination or Athletics check to "stick the landing", i.e. not land in a prone position.

There is a contingent on the forum (myself included, full disclosure) that, essentially for balance purposes - i.e. so that Move isn't the "do-everything" power (the same crowd maybe that believes Move w/ the "Fine Mainpulation" Upgrade shouldn't be allowed to choke ppl), feel Enhance is the "move your body" power and those ppl wouldn't allow the self-move with Move and that what you see in the shows is just a "narrative flavoring" of Enhance.  The same way Vader "Parrying" blaster bolts with his hands could be viewed as a flavoring of Protect. And yes, you can use Enhance to "jump down", so whatever Range you are capable of jumping w/ Enhance is a distance you can "fall" (jump down) without injury.

Edited by emsquared

I wouldn't allow the move power to be able to stop a fall (easily). to even get it to work Id probably call for an impossible check (5 dice with upgrades and you need to flip a dp to try) . Id make it a much easier check for another player to try and prevent the fall in the first place using move, or to try to slow you en route. I definitely wouldnt make a character falling in the first instance be able to replicate better results than the already exisiting Sentinel talent.

Using the Force to "fall" or "jump down" would be easily handled by the Enhance power, since you can roll Athletics to mitigate falling damage. 

If you were intentionally descending (as opposed to being dropped or thrown against your will), or if the fall was from such a great height that it would take more then a round of combat to fall the entire way, I would allow Move to be used to control your descent, but like @emsquared said, it's gonna be slow (and in the case of free fall, it would take a fairly long time to get your velocity down to something non-lethal).

1 hour ago, orcface999 said:

Palpatine showed tremendous ability with Move, so why didn't he save himself with it if it can be used to break your fall?

He was surprised and thrown into a reactor. His fall only lasted a few seconds...he didn't even fall long enough to reach terminal velocity.

I'm talking long falls.

Also, you should have to succeed at several Discipline checks to slow yourself, and they should all be rather difficult.

(also, I don't know if we ever actually saw Palpatine levitate...?)

Edited by awayputurwpn

Impossible Fall from the Sentry spec in Endless Vigil is the best way to do this. It's a Once per session Incidental that, with 5 Force Points on a roll, can save you from an Extreme fall.

If your jumping and from Medium or less then Enhance Force Leap is the next best, only 2 Force Points required and can be a Manoeuvre. If your going down the side of a building you could even do it 3 times in a round (manoeuvre, manoeuvre, action).

If it's only Short range then Hawk Bat Swoop can technically do this as well, so long as your dropping onto a target you want to attack.

Finaly Move is technically able to do this as well. It's going to require an Action (Or your once per session Force Is My Ally talent and a manoeuvre) to perform, which makes it the least appealing. Then it's a power check (probably with a Discipline Fear check of suitable difficulty, perhaps Hard upgraded twice) that's going to require 2 Force Points minimum for a Short range Fall, 3+ for Medium or longer depending on the number of range upgrades you have. The big benefit of Move is that if you can also trigger Magnitude you can help your buddies out as well... but I don't think I would trust my life to another is such manner!

Of course GM's have their own opinions, consult them before you go throwing yourself out of a drop ship into a hidden chemical weapons base on Naboo. And if it's a GM who threw you out first then I would be asking politely what you did to deserve that and how they intended you to survive.