animattor78

Co-op packs, worth it?

the first and second coop packs only use the base game and are of easy and medium difficutly and quite fun to play, the third coop pack needs the lair of the wyrm expansion and is quite hard to beat. Worth the purcase? Depends:
If you like long campaign play, go for the app, it is much more interesting in long term campaign play, especially seeds of corruption.
If you like short story shots manageable in 1-2 sessions in a small minicampaign, yes then the coop packs are the right thing for you.

30 minutes ago, Morthai said:

the first and second coop packs only use the base game and are of easy and medium difficutly and quite fun to play, the third coop pack needs the lair of the wyrm expansion and is quite hard to beat. Worth the purcase? Depends:
If you like long campaign play, go for the app, it is much more interesting in long term campaign play, especially seeds of corruption.
If you like short story shots manageable in 1-2 sessions in a small minicampaign, yes then the coop packs are the right thing for you.

I'm still confused about the difficulty.

I felt like all these coop-campaign were extremely hard. I'm not sure if there's a part of the rule I misunderstood, but it seems like the pressure is intense, and even as someone who's experience and goes through RtL at Hard quite easily, I still haven't win any of the three coops despite a few tries in each.

I read the rules plenty of times, thinking I was doing something wrong. I printed them out and followed them slowly, and yet, I just failed every single time.

But yes, they are worth imo if you want to play overlord-less, they are a decent alternative to Road to Legends and play very differently, and much faster.

I found them great to introduce people the game. When you have the cards on the table it just plays a lot quicker than interacting with the app in my opinion, although that does have the result that they are way less varied per playthrough than RtL. The co-ops can really be played in a single evening.

Regarding the difficulty, well yes the are quite difficult. In part because they just play differently than the original game. You have to move on faster and some heroes/classes are more/less useful than what you may be used to. without spoiling, I found that in Natures Ire a particular encounter was muuuch easier with a particular hero. But that is also part of the fun, finding out what works and what does not work. And of course, just like in the original game a good roll can make a huge difference but hey that's Descent:)

11 hours ago, Amuny said:

I'm still confused about the difficulty.

I felt like all these coop-campaign were extremely hard. I'm not sure if there's a part of the rule I misunderstood, but it seems like the pressure is intense, and even as someone who's experience and goes through RtL at Hard quite easily, I still haven't win any of the three coops despite a few tries in each.

I read the rules plenty of times, thinking I was doing something wrong. I printed them out and followed them slowly, and yet, I just failed every single time.

But yes, they are worth imo if you want to play overlord-less, they are a decent alternative to Road to Legends and play very differently, and much faster.

I helped to design the coop adventures and played them endlessly both in alpha, beta and release version. They are manageable if you know how to game the doom fate and perils and pack alot of free actions such as door opening. Especially the first coop pack is kinda easy. I had even some groups of completely new players that beat the first coop when I used that coop pack to teach them descent.

On 11/2/2017 at 3:47 AM, Morthai said:

I helped to design the coop adventures and played them endlessly both in alpha, beta and release version. They are manageable if you know how to game the doom fate and perils and pack alot of free actions such as door opening. Especially the first coop pack is kinda easy. I had even some groups of completely new players that beat the first coop when I used that coop pack to teach them descent.

There must be something I misunderstand then, because I've been playing them both alone and with veteran players, and we got decimated each time. Only once we reached the final, and it was the first "3rd tier" room so we found it quickly, but still got destroyed.

How do you even "pack free action", especially the door opening ? IIRC, only the Thief can get a skill that would allow to open a door for free. While we didn't play with a thief, Okaluk&Rakash is a heavy favorite around our table, and we're usually extremely mobile. Despite this, I feel like we would always need an additional round or two through the quest to handle it correctly. Would it be just to patch our wound and regroup a little before opening the next door.

I don't have the co-op pack on my now, but if I remember correctly, you can sometimes leave 1 monster up (or one token active etc) to keep an exploration card active while you move closer to the exit door, rest, heal, etc.  Then on your first character action the next round, kill the last monster/token, then open the door and move directly into the next room.  This prevents having to draw a peril card which usually advances the doom counter, which is much harder to reset than the fate counter.