MajorJuggler

2017 System Open Series Results

436 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Cerve said:

I guess is a matter of cost. Actual 3U spend just 1 point per crew. With K4 you can't play 3 of them

Sure you can, just one of them doesnt have 2 torps. 

The only reason you saw defenders was because this FAQ happened two weeks ago. People felt comfortable with them since they had been playing with them. There in lies the problem. People forget that when playing defender that sometimes you need to bump in order to make the list work... now survivability is pretty much gone. Now you have to think "man can't do that manuovour now I don't have a shot, because I cant bump". Then there is Ventress and stress hogs everywhere.

34 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Mmm...so is that R4 helps you to fire the next turn. With K4 you must do a green maneuver  With R4 I have a TL for the next turn already. Maybe is that

4 hours ago, TitaniumChopstick said:

I've always wondered why more people don't use K4 with Attanni jumps. You don't care about getting blocked that way, you don't have to set up a lock with a focus token you may or may not have, either from being shot at or something like HotCop and all you really lose is Intel Agent, which could surely be compensated for with good play. I mean, do you really need 3 Intel agents to know EXACTLY where your opponent is going when you have 3 large base ships with barrel roll?

3 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

You're already running with only having EM on 2 of the ships to run mindlink.  Then 1 point crew.  so if you run a single k4 security droid, now 2 of them don't hav eEM and you have 4 torps total.  If you want 2 k4, none of hte ships get extra munitions.

Youre assuming they still have r4. 

(100)

Contracted Scout (34) - JumpMaster 5000
Attanni Mindlink (1), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Extra Munitions (2), K4 Security Droid (3), Guidance Chips (0)

Attanni Mindlink (1), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Extra Munitions (2), K4 Security Droid (3), Guidance Chips (0)

Contracted Scout (32) - JumpMaster 5000
Attanni Mindlink (1), Plasma Torpedoes (3), K4 Security Droid (3), Guidance Chips (0)

Edited by MegaSilver
TitaniumChopstick likes this

11 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

(100)

Attanni Mindlink (1), Plasma Torpedoes (3), K4 Security Droid (3), Guidance Chips (0)

I would absolutely rather have R4 than k4.  K4 doesn't work when you need to sloop.  Or do a red maneuver.  Or a green doesn't help for whatever reason.  Or any number of other issues.

39 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

(100)

If you play K4, you NEED the 3 green droid.

VanderLegion, Rodafowa and Ailowynn like this

K4 is better against low-PS jousters; R4 is better against everything else. And with said low-PS jousters, all you have to do is focus with one guy and TL with the other two; two torpedoes and a primary has a pretty good chance of killing a stresshog, for example. K4 requires you to broadcast your movements a lot more, and makes it harder to keep arcs on target. 

Edited by Ailowynn
GRAMMARZ
VanderLegion likes this

8 minutes ago, Ailowynn said:

K4 is better against low-PS jousters; R4 is better against everything else. And with said low-PS jousters, all you have to do is focus with one guy and TL with the other two; two torpedoes and a primary has a pretty good chance of killing a stresshog, for example. K4 requires you to broadcast your movements a lot more, and makes it harder to keep arcs on target. 

I would tend to disagree.  If you use R4 and take a TL, you are giving your opponent his whole planning phase to decide how to get out of your arc.  If you use K4, he/she only has their Activation phase actions to get out of the arc since the maneuver was already chosen prior to being targetted.

Both have their merits but to say K4 telegraphs more than R4 is actually the opposite of what really happens.

20 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

whats the heaver list?  did he win btw? 

I believe Paul's list is below per a post from the Gold Squadron Podcast:

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 29
Twin Laser Turret 6
Extra Munitions 2
Sabine Wren 2
Cluster Mines 4
Thermal Detonators 3
Advanced SLAM 2
Ship Total: 48

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing 25
R4-D6 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 26

Gold Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing 18
Twin Laser Turret 6
R3-A2 2
BTL-A4 Y-Wing 0
Ship Total: 26

3 hours ago, Makaze said:

Haha, had to crank the volume to hear all of the salted shade being thrown around in the commentary ;)

Yeah, sorry the volume is so quiet.  Had to upload on a pit stop on the way home since so many people were asking.  The rest are encoding/uploading now, I'll see what I can do about fixing the volume when they're done :)

Morphun likes this

8 hours ago, TBot said:

how many people compete in these system opens?

In Europe they were massive. Yavin in the UK was almost 400, Tatooine in Spain was 360, and Lothal in Germany was 200 or more. 

A few of the ones in the US were very small but mostly between 150-250. 

Incidentally, that makes this year's Yavin and Tatooine Opens the 2nd and 3rd largest tournaments ever, after Yavin last year. 

Edited by atr127
TBot, darthlurker and Oldpara like this

1 hour ago, atr127 said:

In Europe they were massive. Yavin in the UK was almost 400, Tatooine in Spain was 360, and Lothal in Germany was 200 or more. 

A few of the ones in the US were very small but mostly between 150-250. 

Incidentally, that makes this year's Yavin and Tatooine Opens the 2nd and 3rd largest tournaments ever, after Yavin last year. 

Yavin was 370 this year, so Tatooine was almost as big.  It was 414 last year.

The interesting one will be Euros at UKGE.  I'd expect it to be bigger than the System Opens, except that UKGE is suffering from hotel room supply/demand issues this year due to it taking place the same weekend as some boy band concert, so the con is VASTLY expensive, and you'll have to stay locally to compete.

I hope it'll be bigger, but I have my doubts.

E: they've sold just over 200 of the 600 possible tickets so far :(

Edited by thespaceinvader

Yeah Euros is going to be smaller than the Opens, the location and connection to the Expo are doing huge damage to the attendance.

Hopefully they make such a loss on the event they learn their lesson and actually listen to the player issues.

Oldpara likes this

What's weird is that it didn't cause any issues last year - though that might just have been 'System Open Newy Newness' syndrome.

I also suspect that the extremely packed schedule of tournaments in the first half of this year hasn't helped attendance there - going from Regionals to System Opens to Nationals to Euros to Worlds all in the space of like... 4 months... is crazy.

2 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Yeah Euros is going to be smaller than the Opens, the location and connection to the Expo are doing huge damage to the attendance.

Hopefully they make such a loss on the event they learn their lesson and actually listen to the player issues.

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yavin was 370 this year, so Tatooine was almost as big.  It was 414 last year.

The interesting one will be Euros at UKGE.  I'd expect it to be bigger than the System Opens, except that UKGE is suffering from hotel room supply/demand issues this year due to it taking place the same weekend as some boy band concert, so the con is VASTLY expensive, and you'll have to stay locally to compete.

I hope it'll be bigger, but I have my doubts.

E: they've sold just over 200 of the 600 possible tickets so far :(

There are more issues related with Euro than just this.

1. Price band - 50GBP for both tickets (one for expo, one for euro). 

2. 3-day tournament - additional holiday for me, additional 2/3 holidays for my non-UK friends!
3. 3-day tournament... skyrocketing prices arent helping, again, even bigger issue for non-UK people
4. Take a guess - 3-day tournament... I was there last year. I wasnt even playing X-wing then! But I went to the expo for three days with a big bunch of my boardgames friends. 11 or so people. We spent Friday looking at new games and shopping, trying demos of new games. We spent Saturday playing all the games we know and like. Then I spent Sunday smashing Infinity tournament. That was awesome. The same bunch of people is going to UKGE this year. Could I ditch them for a day, maybe two, to play Xwing? Yeah sure. Can I ditch them for the entre day? I dont think so. Surely I can get knocked out quickly, but what if not? Im not going to an event like that just to play Xwing!

Edited by Voitek