Sign in to follow this  
FrogTrigger

What is the difference between the core sets?

One is classic trilogy ships and the other is The Force Awakens ships. They are both good. The TFA (blue) core has newer rules, but those are freely available online. The old (red) core has R2-D2, which is really important for many Rebel ships. If you're playing with a single core set and no expansions, though, I think the TFA core set has the better play experience. Your ships can do more and the missions are more interesting.

It is not a 1st/2nd edition thing, though. Both cores include cards and ships used in tournaments today.

Edited by Budgernaut

The absolute primary thing you want out of the TFA box is the damage deck. Theres a handful of good cards in there too but the damage deck is pretty much mandatory (it isnt, but might as well be).

Old box has a lot of good tiefighter pilots, R2D2 and Biggs. Less mandatory as they depend on  your builds but all tend to get used often.

Depends, if you want to go to the tournaments and play with other people in league or open scenes go with the TFA set. The new damage deck is key and eventually the old one is going to be phased out. 

If you just want a fun tabletop Star Wars Experience that you and your family/friends can casually play then go with the classic. 

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

Perfect, thanks for the response! TFA it is and see where this takes me.. it can't be that bad to play the core is only 50 canadian... should be fine.... right?

*nervously looks over at his Imperial Assault, Descent, LOTR LCG and Mansions of Madness pile of games*

Right.... ?

Oh, sweet summer child. :P

Serious answer: I'd echo the others suggesting to start with the new one, then pick up the original at your leisure to get the extra ships, pilots and upgrades (a couple of which remain meta-defining even today).

The easier answer is what is the same:  The templates and range ruler should be interchangeable between the two and both games will be following the same rules although the paper in the box may not be the same.  I guess you could also say each comes with three ships (model and dial), six obstacles, and a damage deck but why the numbers the same the specifics for those pieces are different.

After that the two are similar to each other but not exactly the same.  The New, Blue, TFA version has the newer X-Wing and TIE Fighter models which both happen to cost more points to field.  The newer core also has a much more balanced damage deck; the one in the old core has many cards in it that can be devastating to some ships but harmless to others.  I believe there is also some variation in the obstacles (asteroids) in the boxes but haven't paid enough attention to that.  Upgrade cards are also different between the two.

First the TFA Blue (If you want the tournament scene)

• TFA Ships have better dials and stats and also cost more so that set brings you closer to tournament play. 
  • TFA Obstacles have 2 large asteroids (one bigger and one slightly smaller than the big one in classic) and 2 smaller asteroids (one could be called pebbles) with the 2 medium size asteroids having odd shape like a crescent moon.
  • TFA has the newer damage deck which is the big change (and expected to replace the old one although that hasn't been confirmed when). Critical damage effects are universal means they will have an effect on all ships.
  • Upgrade cards are different but some only apply to the TFA and later ships (tech upgrades). 

Now for classic Red (If you want more casual and closer to Star Wars experience)

• Classic has more basic ships so the maneuvers are rather standard (no talon roll or s-loops) Makes the ships easier to learn as well as the game.
  • Classic Obstacles have 5 small asteroids and 1 big one (there is also a bunch of satellite tokens that are never used outside of starter missions)
  • Classic has the older damage deck while is still legal for tournament play it can cause your unique pilots to lose their ability or take off an upgrade. Critical effects can be negligible (or even have no effect) to no-name no upgrade swarm ships.
  • Classic upgrades cards are more universal and can be equipped to just about any other ship you buy although many of them have fallen out of the meta.

1 hour ago, Estarriol said:

Depends if you like the original trilogy or The Force Awakens more ;)

Don't make me choose!!! Although it is kind of hard to tell two identical stories apart, amirite? :D

Anyway, thanks for all the info, this was great and very informative. I am assuming both damage decks are legal for tournament play? There is a Regionals at my store this weekend so I am going to grab the core and bum some games off some regulars I know to learn to play after the tournament progresses and people have lost out. Then I can watch the final couple rounds after I have a grasp of the game. Although I've been reading online and watching tutorials to prepare, that is very helpful. SO much more content with this game versus Imperial Assault, the red headed step child of FFG's Star Wars games.

The sticky has a ton of information for new players which is great, but it is almost over whelming. Any suggestions for first time player podcasts/videos?

Edited by FrogTrigger

17 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Perfect, thanks for the response! TFA it is and see where this takes me.. it can't be that bad to play the core is only 50 canadian... should be fine.... right?

*nervously looks over at his Imperial Assault, Descent, LOTR LCG and Mansions of Madness pile of games*

Right.... ?

Remember it may sound expensive but compare it to any other hobby and it isnt that bad really.
I have probably reached 10k USD worth of stuff between all my miniature gaming stuff, counting transport boxes, over 8 years. Not only is that false compared to what i actually spent with savings or ebay deals, its just store value tallied up, but its STILL cheaper than my friend that does car audio stuff. He probably has close to 40k in that car of his. But its all hidden, unless you know how that stuff works and the power/cabling behind it you would never know it was THAT expensive. Models sit on a shelf and are a constant reminder of how expensive they were.

12 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Remember it may sound expensive but compare it to any other hobby and it isnt that bad really.
I have probably reached 10k USD worth of stuff between all my miniature gaming stuff, counting transport boxes, over 8 years. Not only is that false compared to what i actually spent with savings or ebay deals, its just store value tallied up, but its STILL cheaper than my friend that does car audio stuff. He probably has close to 40k in that car of his. But its all hidden, unless you know how that stuff works and the power/cabling behind it you would never know it was THAT expensive. Models sit on a shelf and are a constant reminder of how expensive they were.

Hah no I know it's all relative in the world of hobbies, one thing I have found with table top gaming (and I am new to it, just over a year), is that it can get expensive FAST. Where as my other passion, fishing, it was a gradual climb. I've got a fishing rod that I paid $750 for and a reel on there that was over $500, I've also got a tackle box with about $1500 in tackle inside.. but my first fishing rod was $30 and I've been fishing for 20 years.. so while it is expensive, it is gradual. Table top gaming is a slippery slope.. but what a ride!! The good news is I live somewhere cold so I generally only do this for 6 months, once the snow is gone my mind is on fishing until it falls again.. so I only have to worry about spending money for half the year :P

Edited by FrogTrigger

One set has three ships that get played, one set has two ships that get played..........

Past that silliness there is a different mission and damage deck. I feel like the tokens and extras are the same. I would tell you to start with the Red one if you want to play classic tie swarm within Ep 4-6 kind of feel and the Blue one if you want beefier ships, which will soak up more points resulting in needing less and the EP7 feel. 

If you can get both, I feel as an imp player both sets make a really solid foundation to your x-wing collection. 

PS Omega Ace is still an amazing ship and a pain in the but to fly against, the Blue core is worth it just for that ship alone.

Edited by Cubanboy

15 minutes ago, Cubanboy said:

This is a great site for entering in your collection and seeing what you can build. 

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Thanks I looked at this site, I signed in and selected Core Set for collection but still it has every ship listed on the left so I can't even see what I have or not, tried refreshing the page. Am I doing something wrong? Or does it list everything anyway?

4 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Thanks I looked at this site, I signed in and selected Core Set for collection but still it has every ship listed on the left so I can't even see what I have or not, tried refreshing the page. Am I doing something wrong? Or does it list everything anyway?

At the bottom of the collection popup there's a checkbox labelled "Enable collection". If you enable that, components you don't own will be greyed out.

6 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

I had the same thing happen so to fix it I updated my collection by one ship and hit save, and it fixed it (so I went back into my collection and changed the ship I added). So that's silly but it works. Below you see how when you have a ship in your collection it shows up, however you can still add ships you don't own to a list. I just have had great luck with it.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Cubanboy