wurms

LET'S DISCUSS: A Score To Settle

15 hours ago, WWHSD said:

If you aren't taking Lone Wolf and Glitterstim, those Cluster Missiles are likely to disappoint you with their rolls.

This gives N'Dru a 5 die attack that he can throw from a bit further out. A Score to Settle lets him convert an eyeball, Concussion Missile lets him convert a blank, Chips allow him to convert either a blank or an eyeball. Unless he rolls all blanks or all eyeballs, he'll get at least 3 hits/crits. He'll probably usually end up getting 5 hits/crits.  

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
A Score to Settle (0)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 21

For chuckles, toss a Deadman's Switch on him for another two points and get super aggressive with him if he lives long enough to get off his missile.  

I prefer Homing, no auto-turn but you get a reroll. And most important thing, you block a token evade (Defenders?). 

Or Clusters?

1 hour ago, Stay On The Leader said:

We define 'a decent chance' differently, I think.

Wampa (with no rerolls) triggers his ability and gets a point of damage through 24% of the time.  

A Black Squad with ASTS for modification get two hit/crit results 50% of the time. 

A ship rolling 3 green dice with no modification evades two hit/crit results 33% of the time. 

A ship rolling 3 green dice using a focus to modify evades two hit/crit results  60% of the time. 

A ship rolling 4 green dice with no modification evades two hit/crit results  48% of the time.

A ship rolling 4 green dice with no modification evades two hit/crit results  85% of the time.

This is all rough napkin math so it's going to be off a bit but Wampa puts a point of damage on a fully tokened up Soontir Fel at range three, through an Asteroid, with Palpatine ready to use just slightly less often than the Black Squad gets damage through on a tokenless X-Wing at range 3 (24% vs. 34%).   The Black Squad's odds get worse as agility goes up or if the defender has any way to modify their results.

One thing that I am completely missing above is that even if Wampa doesn't trigger his ability, he's still got a chance to push through damage the old fashioned way.  

Edited by WWHSD

11 minutes ago, Cerve said:

I prefer Homing, no auto-turn but you get a reroll. And most important thing, you block a token evade (Defenders?). 

Or Clusters?

Homing would be a decent choice (it's what I usually use on him) but I was trying to keep it the same cost as the Cluster version that I was replying to.

I don't really like Cluster Missiles without Lone Wolf and Glitterstim. You can't fire them at range three, so it will be harder for N'Dru to get off his shot. You've got two 4 dice attacks with no modification except Guidance Chips on one of the rolls if you are able to stay at a range to trigger N'Dru's ability.

With the Concussion (or Homing Missile), you still have a highly modified 4 dice attack even if you need to get N'Dru close to his buddies. 

21 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Wampa (with no rerolls) triggers his ability and gets a point of damage through 24% of the time.  

A Black Squad with ASTS for modification get two hit/crit results 50% of the time. 

A ship rolling 3 green dice with no modification evades two hit/crit results 33% of the time. 

A ship rolling 3 green dice using a focus to modify evades two hit/crit results  60% of the time. 

A ship rolling 4 green dice with no modification evades two hit/crit results  48% of the time.

A ship rolling 4 green dice with no modification evades two hit/crit results  85% of the time.

This is all rough napkin math so it's going to be off a bit but Wampa puts a point of damage on a fully tokened up Soontir Fel at range three, through an Asteroid, with Palpatine ready to use just slightly less often than the Black Squad gets damage through on a tokenless X-Wing at range 3 (24% vs. 34%).   The Black Squad's odds get worse as agility goes up or if the defender has any way to modify their results.

One thing that I am completely missing above is that even if Wampa doesn't trigger his ability, he's still got a chance to push through damage the old fashioned way.  

True, but it's only up at the top end fo agility/tokens that Wampa works out better.  Against 3 green dice without Focus ASTS is more incremental damage than Wampa is, over firing straight TIE shots.

If you've got Palp then go with Wampa, if you've not got Palp then it's actually a very close call and depending on just how often you think your target still has their tokens when your filler ship gets around to firing it's probably better to take the Black Sqd.

Jess Pava — T-70 X-Wing 25

R2-D6 1

A Score to Settle 0

Integrated Astromech 0

Ship Total: 26 

She likely shoots last, allowing others to strip shields. She has good defense to avoid getting crit back in formation. She's cheap enough that if they decide to shoot at her, well, I welcome that.

2 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

True, but it's only up at the top end fo agility/tokens that Wampa works out better.  Against 3 green dice without Focus ASTS is more incremental damage than Wampa is, over firing straight TIE shots.

If you've got Palp then go with Wampa, if you've not got Palp then it's actually a very close call and depending on just how often you think your target still has their tokens when your filler ship gets around to firing it's probably better to take the Black Sqd.

I guess the way I look at it is this:

- ASTS doesn't improve your hit chances over a having a focus token to spend.

- My filler TIE will almost always have focus to spend unless it is being shot at.

- If someone decides to shoot my filler TIE they aren't shooting at one of my more expensive ships. In my experience, people with aces go out of their way to kill Wampa first.

- Wampa brings something unique to the squad for a low price point. Normally, you are spending far more points to get that high a chance to put damage onto a high mitigation target.

- Wampa's ability works against all enemy ships instead of just one.

Bossk

A score to settle

Zuckuss

4LOM

K4 Security Droid

Homing Missile

Scavenger Crane

Guidance Chips

47 points, firing 4 dice with a TL, focus-crit and an any die-crit conversion, and the usual 4-lom + zuckuss shenanigans.  Any ship dies in range 1-2, you get the missile back to do it again.  And k4 makes it possible to get TLs to keep firing after stressing with zuckuss.

One-shot pure-sabaac with this in a game the other day (the same round as I killed countdown with bombs to ignore his ability)

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

Pattern analyzer turns every SF into the "this thing really moves" version Poe was talking about. 

Being able to snap off any of the 6 Red moves without consequence makes it a better dogfighter. Quick draw WANTS to be hit. Being hit makes him better. He's basically a miniature dengar. 

Fair point on the movement options, but I think you're disregarding the value of Sensor Cluster here.

I agree with you that Quickdraw wants to be hit. However, Quickdraw also wants to be able to control just how hard he's hit. If you're defending against an average roll of two hits and roll focus-focus-blank, then Sensor Cluster allows you to modify that blank instead of the two focus results. You can either modify the focus results to avoid damage completely, or modify the blank and take only a single point of shield damage to trigger his ability. Without Sensor Cluster, you're either taking all or nothing.

Plus, it helps keep you alive longer once your shields are gone.

19 minutes ago, Skargoth said:

Jess Pava — T-70 X-Wing 25

R2-D6 1

A Score to Settle 0

Integrated Astromech 0

Ship Total: 26 

She likely shoots last, allowing others to strip shields. She has good defense to avoid getting crit back in formation. She's cheap enough that if they decide to shoot at her, well, I welcome that.

I actually like this because if they go for her first, she gets all her rerolls being near her buddies so killing her will be difficult.

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

Why? The Black Squad with ASTS is going to be a little more accurate against a single target but even if it had a guaranteed "hit,crit" result, it isn't going to push damage through on a lot of targets. Wampa on the other hand has a decent chance to be able to put damage though on anything even when taking range 3 shots.  

The assumption is that the BSP is a followup shot to the rest of the list that has stripped shields and tokens.  Wampa is certainly better on his own agaisnt a ship at full defensive capacity.

A Scyk with the Light Syck title doesn't care about crits. Damage either hits the shield, deals a face up card, or destroys it.  Hopefully, one of the new pilots has an EPT slot and does something sool with crits.

It just cares about converting the eyeball but maybe that extra modification is enough to let the Scyk draw fire instead of being ignored.

Edited by WWHSD

On 9/2/2017 at 6:31 PM, VanderLegion said:

Bossk

A score to settle

Zuckuss

4LOM

K4 Security Droid

Homing Missile

Scavenger Crane

Guidance Chips

47 points, firing 4 dice with a TL, focus-crit and an any die-crit conversion, and the usual 4-lom + zuckuss shenanigans.  Any ship dies in range 1-2, you get the missile back to do it again.  And k4 makes it possible to get TLs to keep firing after stressing with zuckuss.

One-shot pure-sabaac with this in a game the other day (the same round as I killed countdown with bombs to ignore his ability)

What is it the other part of the list that you have played?

1 minute ago, herry92 said:

What is it the other part of the list that you have played?

Emon Azzameen - Proton Bombs, Tail Gunner, Scavenger Crane, Andrasta, Cluster Mines, Cluster Mines

The game I mentioned in the last post, my opponent had Countdown, Pure Sabaac, OL and a tie shuttle IIRC.  Maybe 1 more ship, mauler mithel or backstabber maybe?  Don't remember for sure.  Anyway, He set up his low PS ships on his left, I put emon directly across from them.  Put bossk on the other side, and he put pure sabaac directly across.  emon and the ships across from him moved toward each other (but ended out of range) while pure sabaac turned and ran away from bossk and bossk went full speed to chase.  Next round, his ships all moved toward emon again, who did a 3 bank (wanted to 3 turn but didn't quite go ar enough round 1 and rock was in the way) and used a 3-turn template to drop a cluster mine on countdown's face.  He rolled 3 hits/crits from 2 tokens, third token I missed him.  He ended up with no shots, emon missed finishing off countdown with an unmodified shot.  Next round, Emon dropped proton bomb to kill countdown and crit the bomber.  Bossk got his shot at pure sabaac and killed him with 2 hits/2 crits vs 0 evades (after zuckuss.  I think he rolled 1).  He conceded then cause what he'd just lost both of his strikers and done 0 damage to me.

Edited by VanderLegion

On 09/02/2017 at 9:07 AM, wurms said:

So, you choose a ship before placing forces and when you are attacking that ship, or it is attacking you, 1 eyeball can be turned into a crit.

The focus to crit is only on the ship that has the A Debt to Pay condition card on it, not your own ship. Their return attacks do not use the condition because the card is assigned to one ship.