Sign in to follow this  
H4rl3q1n

Hiding Psychiness

Hey I got a question. I am currently playing a char with the wyrdling mutation and for now I have basically never used the powers to not get detected as a psyker ... I wanted to extend my psy powers from now on and was wondering how to mask that I am using powers. So here are my questions..

Psyniscience shows the psychic phenomena.. how long can you feel thoses phsychic phenomena? 

Can other psyker feel that I have used psychic powers after I have used them ?

Are there any drugs or things to hide me being a psyker?

Greets

55 minutes ago, H4rl3q1n said:

Psyniscience shows the psychic phenomena.. how long can you feel thoses phsychic phenomena? 

Psyniscience allows others to detect the disturbance that any power being used will naturally create. Not just phenomena.

56 minutes ago, H4rl3q1n said:

Can other psyker feel that I have used psychic powers after I have used them ?

Yes if they test Psyniscience.

57 minutes ago, H4rl3q1n said:

Not that I know of. There's a mention of drugs being used to suppress your connection to the warp in Tattered Fates.

5 minutes ago, ThenDoctor said:

Psyniscience allows others to detect the disturbance that any power being used will naturally create. Not just phenomena.

Hmm but the isnt the definition of psychic phenomena being a disturbance ?

In the rulebook it says under psychic phenomena that these are the disturbances, which are mostly harmless. It doesnt say that Psy Powers are causing any disturbances if you do not get a phenomena

Yes, so is a psychic power. Psychic powers are disturbances in it of themselves, but they are not phenomena nor perils.

You're still gathering up warp energy and putting it into real space, that makes a disturbance in the natural flow of things.

Which lets other psykers be able to detect other psykers in the area and other warp creatures.

13 hours ago, H4rl3q1n said:

Hmm but the isnt the definition of psychic phenomena being a disturbance ?

In the rulebook it says under psychic phenomena that these are the disturbances, which are mostly harmless. It doesnt say that Psy Powers are causing any disturbances if you do not get a phenomena

As Doc said: Psyniscience lets you detect Psychic Phenomena AND the use of Psychic powers, which are also a disturbance. It also lets you detect other Psykers, Daemons, or other Warp anomalies. 

Basically, if it involves the Warp in any way, it's a good bet Psyniscience can detect it. Something like Psychic Phenomena or Perils of the Warp are just a lot easier to detect since they're comparatively larger scale disturbances.

Edited by ColArana

Ok so they can practically always detect that I'm a psyker .. 

Would you say that psyniscience is more of an active search so people have to expect to find smth to roll for it or if I invoke something they feel it and then roll ?

Thx for the replys btw :)

5 hours ago, H4rl3q1n said:

Ok so they can practically always detect that I'm a psyker .. 

Would you say that psyniscience is more of an active search so people have to expect to find smth to roll for it or if I invoke something they feel it and then roll ?

Thx for the replys btw :)

Yes and no. 

While this is entirely up to the GM, I would say:

-Rolling Psyniscience to detect you're a Psyker when you're not doing anything requires a conscious and active roll.

-If you are heavily fettering your power, to deliberately avoid detection (imho, rolling less than half your Psy Rating in dice to manifest a power), then it should also require an active roll, or if it's a passive roll, at least should take a negative modifier (-10 for each level under half your Psy Rating seems fair to me).

-Rolling Psyniscience to detect active Warp phenomena (such as using a non-fettered Psychic Power, Perils, Psychic Phenomena, a daemon's presence, etc.) should be passive, and be rolled for as long as you are close enough to detect it.

This is personal opinion though and up to the individual GM.

Edited by ColArana

14 hours ago, Jargal said:

Fettered/Unfettered/Push ratings is Ascension thing, not basic DH.

I'm using Fettered in this case, as shorthand for a Psyker using less than the required dice to cast a Psychic Power. Couldn't think of a better way of wording it. 

I might be completely alone in this, but I would absolutely allow a Psyker to use less dice than his maximum in order to try and make the casting of their powers less noticeable to Psyniscience users.

7 hours ago, ColArana said:

I might be completely alone in this, but I would absolutely allow a Psyker to use less dice than his maximum in order to try and make the casting of their powers less noticeable to Psyniscience users.

Psyker can use any number of dice up to his Psy Rating, but I find it difficult to come up with universal rules for Psyniscience detection for this situations...

1 hour ago, Jargal said:

Psyker can use any number of dice up to his Psy Rating, but I find it difficult to come up with universal rules for Psyniscience detection for this situations...

Rough idea off the top of my head?

The PR is the baseline for the difficulty of the test.

PR1 is +0

PR2 becomes +0

Using 1 die when you have PR 2 makes the test -10 (cumulative as you go up.)

Talents that increase your PR will raise it by +10 if being used.

((may not be good I came up with it in less than a minute))

Then PR2 Psyker using only one dice can be detected at -10, while PR6 Psyker with on dice - at -50? Then powerful psykers are effectively undetectable. And how about modifiers for high PR for those who make Psyniscience tests?

Edited by Jargal

1 minute ago, Jargal said:

Then PR2 Psyker using only one dice can be detected at -10, while PR6 Psyker with on dice - at -50? Then powerful psykers are effectively undetectable. And how about modifiers for high PR for Psyniscience tests?

The idea is that the higher PR you have it's still under your control so the modifier remains +0 as that is the new baseline you have.

And yes a PR6 would be feasibly undetectable (Ascension introduces the new modifiers down to -60 even with Combined Modifiers from the Combat Section) if they are only using 1 PR dice and not using any talents that boost PR.

On 2/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, Jargal said:

Then PR2 Psyker using only one dice can be detected at -10, while PR6 Psyker with on dice - at -50? Then powerful psykers are effectively undetectable. And how about modifiers for high PR for those who make Psyniscience tests?

A powerful Psyker may be harder to detect using his powers, because they have significantly greater control over it. If they are only using 1 dice to manifest their power, they can use all the rest of it to minimize the ripple in the Warp that their power creates.

If you looked for a balance to this though, you could argue that a PR6 Psyker has a harder time masking their actual psychic imprint though, so they're more easily detected by active searches.

Edited by ColArana

On 08.02.2017 at 8:26 PM, H4rl3q1n said:

Hey I got a question. I am currently playing a char with the wyrdling mutation and for now I have basically never used the powers to not get detected as a psyker

A. Astra Telepathica have some way to measure who goes to Black Ships and who doesn't. Though whether current rating or the Assignment, who knows. Ordo Hereticus, too. The Joyous Choir had some means of detection without being blatant about it, and they didn't have access to the Inquisition's resources.

Either way, there's reaction to null fields (whether from blanks or artificial), Witch Hunters have Psyocculum, and we may guess there can be a touch range measuring tool which is pretty much like a force sword with gauge instead of blade.

Conversely, there are lesser null fields (mostly in form of collars or rooms) used by Black Ships and Inquisition in general to transport psykers safely without sending them into coma or killing - those are likely to mess with any means of detection, though it's still going to be unpleasant to the psyker, of course.

Specifically wyrdlings (as a known mutation) also have a problem with genetic tests, whether they use powers or not.