Timathius

X-Wing US player rankings

23 minutes ago, ramy said:

This is cool.  So are you not counting regionals from 2016 at all?

I am counting the ones in November/December. I couldn't guarantee  getting data from the past set, so I started with US nationals and I am having things age out after a year.

14 minutes ago, Timathius said:

I am counting the ones in November/December. I couldn't guarantee  getting data from the past set, so I started with US nationals and I am having things age out after a year.

Understood.  Has to be tough tracking down all those.  I finished 37th at GenCon and 20th at a regional in Springfield (101 total I think) last year.

How close would I be to making the list?

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, Timathius said:

If you only knew how much digging I had to do to get just names from some of these events.... 

I think the main reason (besides of course lack of knowledge of listjugglar existing) is the Tome software FFG pushes. Since it doesn't store lists, people don't uploaded it to list juggler. But I do mention it when I contact stores. I am going to begin trying to contact TOs ahead of time just to cut down on the chase on Mondays and Tuesdays

Once you have dug up the data for tournaments that are not in List Juggler, do you do anything with it other than store it in your own local database? If you have dug up that info and nobody else publicly has it, you should at least post it to the Regionals thread. I used to keep up with all of that myself, including emails 100+ TOs / stores per Regionals season, but it just became too much to keep up on.

Edited by MajorJuggler

On 3/14/2017 at 3:27 PM, Timathius said:

This week's rankings are up. Moved to top 3 events so the top has shaken up quite a bit. Hope to see everyone at Naboo!

Oh ****, I made the list! #38. HA! :D 

EDIT: Naboo event bumped me down to #42 now :( Soon I will be unlisted.

Edited by wurms

Have you thought about changing the name to X-Wing Power Rankings? These seem more like Power Rankings, than an actual list of the best 50 players. For instance, in the NHL every week they come out with Power Rankings and they take the most recent records of all the teams and rank them in order of who's the hottest/powerful right now. Your rankings seem to do that. 

1 hour ago, Timathius said:

That is not a bad idea, I may do that this weekend. 

They have been updated as well for this week! I forgot to post that here. 

Budget nathan and the worst howard are ahead of me on this list tim.  It's clearly broken.  How much more do I have to pay you to fix it?

18 hours ago, catachanninja said:

Nathan and i are the final table. We had a flight to catch so we'll be playing the game back in Wisconsin in the next week or so. We're gonna try and stream it

This is the correct answer. I am going to do a full write up and year end state of the union after they are able to get it done. 

Also, Rankings are updated 

http://nationaltabletopgaming.org/x-wing-rankings

THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE KING

Edited by Timathius

On 2/21/2017 at 1:26 PM, ramy said:

Understood.  Has to be tough tracking down all those.  I finished 37th at GenCon and 20th at a regional in Springfield (101 total I think) last year.

How close would I be to making the list?

Nowhere near the top, it looks like, since it counts a player's Top 3 scores.  So anyone with 3 decent-ish entries will be ahead of someone with only one or two phenomenal finishes, it seems.  So I assume a World Champion who hasn't played in anything else this year would be ranked well below someone who got Top 4 at three local store championships?  Also, is someone a better player if they play in 15 events in a year and only crack the Top 4 three times, finishing about average 12 times VERSUS someone who only plays in 3 events but gets Top 8 or better in all of them?

Play early, play often. :D

Also, aging out results after only 1 Year creates a system with a very short memory, and again rewards frequency of play. 

Also, @Timathius -- I'm curious how your ranking accounts for Store Championships?  Are you trusting every Store Champ TO sending you the info, or are you requesting the info from them? Or are we to believe you personally reach out to every Store Champ for that data?

I sure don't reach out to every store champ. But every one that is sent to me or entered into LJ is accounted for. I have 265 store champs accounted for in these. Every single regional and up is entered even if it has to be tracked down and entered by hand from photos of standings (LOOKING AT YOU SYSTEM OPENS). Honestly, there are 1500 people with at least 3 scores and there are multiple people in the top 100 with only two entries. Grand total we are at 3340 people on the list. 

5 minutes ago, Cusm said:

Does this take into count strength of schedule of their opponent?

Sort of. The event is weighted by the average player score. 

Edited by Timathius

9 hours ago, Timathius said:

I sure don't reach out to every store champ. But every one that is sent to me or entered into LJ is accounted for. I have 265 store champs accounted for in these. Every single regional and up is entered even if it has to be tracked down and entered by hand from photos of standings (LOOKING AT YOU SYSTEM OPENS). Honestly, there are 1500 people with at least 3 scores and there are multiple people in the top 100 with only two entries. Grand total we are at 3340 people on the list. 

3340 seems like a lot, especially since it's U.S. only looks like.  Unless everybody is added in from every event that's recorded regardless how they placed.  I just assumed only people making the cuts or better would be counted in.

I think it would be fun to see a pdf of the full list of 3340 just to see how bad I look in comparison (assuming I'm even on the list).

4 hours ago, markcsoul said:

3340 seems like a lot, especially since it's U.S. only looks like.  Unless everybody is added in from every event that's recorded regardless how they placed.  I just assumed only people making the cuts or better would be counted in.

I think it would be fun to see a pdf of the full list of 3340 just to see how bad I look in comparison (assuming I'm even on the list).

I put in as much data as possible, so all of Swiss is put in in a lot of cases. Feel free to message me and I’ll let you know where you are at!