Sign in to follow this  
BJZSN

Custom Healer Class: Rune Knight

Hey y'all, decided to take a break from the Rifter since its a touch troublesome right now. I wanted to make progress so I decided to try for another Healer. I will go back to the Rifter, but probably after this class and a new Warrior. The Rune Knight is unique in that it is a Healer class that specializes in combat and combat momentum in particular. His starting skill allows him to maintain this attack presence while simultaneously healing himself or others. A bonus to this class is that it makes Brother Gherinn more viable. I haven't got the skills 100% done but should only need a couple of additions and it'll be good. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: Got the class cards done, look for the Rune Knight folder under Custom Classes:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/odx5l47ypog6y89/AABZJBksn4UcH94OYT9lxhFSa?dl=0

Edited by BJZSN

Hey nice class! I definitely think that bringing the healer more in the action makes the character more fun. The healer has the bad reputation of being the 'waterboy' after all. But as always I have some suggestions:

Inscribed armour: A 3 space limitations seems in place here. Alternatively you could make it a buff that you first need to be adjacent to bless the armour and then triggers when the hero gets attacked at a later point. Like the elixirs from the apothecary class, just use hero tokens to remind you of the effect. A stun can be pretty decisive in quests with lieutenants or bosses, especially when the stun is very easy to land with a skill like this.

Rune Focus: Reword it slightly? Just exhaust it before you attack to get the effect. It does not refresh normally but instead when you defeat a monster.

Otherwise this looks like a great class!

15 minutes ago, Ceasarsalad101 said:

Hey nice class! I definitely think that bringing the healer more in the action makes the character more fun. The healer has the bad reputation of being the 'waterboy' after all. But as always I have some suggestions:

Inscribed armour: A 3 space limitations seems in place here. Alternatively you could make it a buff that you first need to be adjacent to bless the armour and then triggers when the hero gets attacked at a later point. Like the elixirs from the apothecary class, just use hero tokens to remind you of the effect. A stun can be pretty decisive in quests with lieutenants or bosses, especially when the stun is very easy to land with a skill like this.

Rune Focus: Reword it slightly? Just exhaust it before you attack to get the effect. It does not refresh normally but instead when you defeat a monster.

Otherwise this looks like a great class!

Rune Focus: Oh wow, that's definitely the right wording. Why did I word it the way I did I wonder? Whatever, your wording is better.

Inscribed Armor: I had thought about the 3 space limitation. I guess the main reason I left it the way it is is that I wanted a small buff to it since it requires Light or Heavy armor, which isn't easy to come by. It also requires a monster to attack a hero with Armor specifically to trigger. That said, I think how I'll write it based off your input is this:

1XP Skill: Inscribed Armor 1 Fatigue
Use this card when a hero with Light Armor or Heavy Armor equipped suffers Damage from an attack that does not defeat him.
The attacker suffers 1 Damage. Then if you are within 3 spaces of the hero, test Willpower.
If you pass, the attacker is Stunned.

Edited by BJZSN

7 minutes ago, BJZSN said:

Rune Focus: Oh wow, that's definitely the right wording. Why did I word it the way I did I wonder? Whatever, your wording is better.

Inscribed Armor: I had thought about the 3 space limitation. I guess the main reason I left it the way it is is that I wanted a small buff to it since it requires Light or Heavy armor, which isn't easy to come by. It also requires a monster to attack a hero with Armor specifically to trigger. That said, I think how I'll write it based off your input is this:

Use this card when a hero with Light Armor or Heavy Armor equipped suffers Damage from an attack that does not defeat him.
The attacker suffers 1 Damage. Then if you are within 3 spaces of the hero, test Willpower.
If you pass, the attacker is Stunned.

Yes that is true, but remember that the heroes get to purchase things from the act I deck after the Interlude. So it is very likely that heroes in act II will have the opportunity to trigger is, especially since it doesn't exhaust.  The reason I mentioned it is that the final quest Gryvorn Unleashed where the heroes must defeat a single boss might get very easy if the heroes can just stun Gryvorn every turn. It can also be used when the hero is attacked by a ranged weapon. Even when the Rune Knight needs to be within 3 spaces it is not too hard to pass the test. Healers tend to have at least 3 willpower and the Rune Knight can improve his willpower by 1 with a different skill.

Ultimately, I think that this skill becomes relatively more powerful as the campaign progresses because it becomes less situational. I can imagine players leaving this skill aside for the first act and then quickly pick it up for the second act. I might be completely over analysing this though, playtesting will provide the answer:p

42 minutes ago, Ceasarsalad101 said:

Yes that is true, but remember that the heroes get to purchase things from the act I deck after the Interlude. So it is very likely that heroes in act II will have the opportunity to trigger is, especially since it doesn't exhaust.  The reason I mentioned it is that the final quest Gryvorn Unleashed where the heroes must defeat a single boss might get very easy if the heroes can just stun Gryvorn every turn. It can also be used when the hero is attacked by a ranged weapon. Even when the Rune Knight needs to be within 3 spaces it is not too hard to pass the test. Healers tend to have at least 3 willpower and the Rune Knight can improve his willpower by 1 with a different skill.

Ultimately, I think that this skill becomes relatively more powerful as the campaign progresses because it becomes less situational. I can imagine players leaving this skill aside for the first act and then quickly pick it up for the second act. I might be completely over analysing this though, playtesting will provide the answer:p

I see what you're saying. Perhaps it is a bit too easy to inflict Stun, and I agree that the way the skill is now, it is skewed towards Act 2 of the game. What I want is a skill that relates to Light or Heavy armor that can be triggered over and over again. The damage part is fine I think, but thats not enough. It needs something else (which I substituted with Stun). I'll think about this skill and see if I can come up with a more balanced wording/effect.

How bout this:

The attacker suffers 1 Damage. Then if you are within 3 spaces of the hero and the attacker is a minion monster, test Willpower.
If you pass, the attacker is Stunned.

* Yes the skill is still skewed towards Act 2, but I think this could work in Act 1 too.

Edited by BJZSN