Sign in to follow this  
backupsidekick

Oath of Honor question

The phrase "Choose another hero... Place your hero in the closest empty space adjacent to the monster" is what I have a question about.  I had a situation where I was behind a hero, the hero was directly in front of the monster, there were 2 spaces that were directly adjacent to both the monster and the other hero, does the "closest empty space" refer to my hero or the other hero?  as a diagram, M=Monster, E=Empty space, O=Other Hero, K=Knight

[EE]

[EM]

[EO]

[EE]

[EK]

The question: I ruled (as the knight) that "closest space" meant closest to me, and had to be the space right next to the Other Hero (Space in bold).  Had I been able to place my hero in the empty space right next to the Monster (space in bold underlined), and still adjacent to the Other Hero I would have been in range to use Advance for another attack.  Does the closest space mean:

1. Closest to a. the other hero and b. the monster, and then c. closest to where you were before moving.

or

2. Closest to a. the hero and b. the monster.  if there are multiple options that meet these two only requirments, the hero gets to decide which to choose.

3 minutes ago, Ceasarsalad101 said:

Only to the monster. You don't need to take the place of the hero or yourself into consideration at all. 

Since there are several spaces that would be equal distance to the monster as they are all adjacent, how do you determine "closest space"?  Closest to what?

Just now, backupsidekick said:

Since there are several spaces that would be equal distance to the monster as they are all adjacent, how do you determine "closest space"?  Closest to what?

To the monster. So in your example, any space adjacent to the monster is valid. They say 'closest space' because there might be situations where all spaces adjacent to the monster are occupied, in that case you place your figure in the closest empty space.

Wow hold the presses, triggered by your question I began to doubt my answer and looked it up. In fact, you must select a space that is adjacent to the monster but also as close as possible to your starting position. So in your example, that would be in the space immediately left of the other hero. 

Excuse me for my hasty response:)

However, if the spaces adjacent to the other hero were already occupied, Oath of Honor does allow to legally 'jump' over the monster in a way that would be impossible with an ordinary move action.

1 minute ago, Ceasarsalad101 said:

Wow hold the presses, triggered by your question I began to doubt my answer and looked it up. In fact, you must select a space that is adjacent to the monster but also as close as possible to your starting position. So in your example, that would be in the space immediately left of the other hero. 

Excuse me for my hasty response:)

However, if the spaces adjacent to the other hero were already occupied, Oath of Honor does allow to legally 'jump' over the monster in a way that would be impossible with an ordinary move action.

Well then we played it right last night.  I saw many different responses all over the internet, nothing on the faq 1.6, couldn't tell what the "official" answer was.  I figured "closest" had to mean something besides just "adjacent".  That skill would have been a little too good  if you just place your hero wherever you feel is best.