Bojanglez

"Fixing" the Y-Wing

hey all,

So, as someone who saw ANH in 1977 and has always had a strong love for the ships of that movie, I have always loved flying Y-Wings in XWM. As I play almost exclusively Scum and Rebel, I love that one of my favorite ships can be flown to great effect across multiple factions.  I'm ok with trading off agility for durability and even love limiting myself further with the BTL title for the love of a primary shot with a delightful TLT follow-up bouquet.  

The only thing I don't love about the Y-Wings is the (almost) complete lack of EPT's amongst the bunch of them. Sure, Kavil has a slot and you can give one to the other guys with R2-D6, but you then short yourself the advantage that other droids can bring.  Dutch is a stalwart of my squads but I would love him even more if I could take him with an EPT that didn't mean not having a droid.  There probably is one, but I can't immediately think of another range of Elite pilots who don't have any EPT slots for a whole line of ships, and sure, you can blame it on early design choices, etc, but I'd love to see it fixed and, as always, am very curious what the community can come up with.

• The most obvious fix is a title card, similar to Alliance Overhaul or Heavy Scyk errata that grants a PS player 5 or above (so as to exclude generics) but this then excludes BTL-44 shenanigans (which would be a shame)
  • Another "easy" fix is to do something similar to Chaardan Refit with the second torpedo slot.  I have played both with and against a lot of Y-Wings but have yet to see a list where the 2nd torpedo slot was either in use or even a consideration, changing that to add an EPT slot would be a treat.

What other ideas would bring 3 of the 4 elite Y-Wing pilots into play with EPT's?

I don't know if I ever see Y-Wings these days with only a single torpedo slot filled. If they are going to use one slot for anything the other one is almost gauranteed to have Extra Munitions in it.

Edited by WWHSD

41 minutes ago, GeneralBergfrühling said:

Horton should have an EPT slot ... but back then the designers obviously decided that PTL + R2 + Torps would make him too strong ... it might seen as a poor decision from todays perspective.

Horton Salm — Y-Wing 25
Twin Laser Turret 6
R2-D6 1
Expertise 4
Ship Total: 36

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

The Punisher, Lambda, and VCX-100 also lack pilots with EPT slots.

And the k wing. 

Of those, Miranda specifically and a lot of the vcx pilots would be way too powerful. 

Rumor is Lambda didn't get it because of expert handling but design wise that's gone away and the new shuttle gets one. 

Punisher coild be broken with epts pets but since it doesn't see play now, I doubt hard actually become a problem 

7 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Look at Kavil. He has an EPT, literally the only Ywing with it. What EPTs does he use? VI or Adapt EVERY SINGLE TIME

Horton would be no different. Any 3/4pt EPT would push him to the too pricy range for what Ywings do.

Except when he takes Mindlink.

Trickshot for 5 dice TLTs could be cool as well.

Y-wings with turrets are perfectly fine.

Y-wings with torpedos are fine now that you can take Bodhi to coordinate their locks.

Y-wings with bombs are just a bonus.There are way better ships to use as bombers.

If you start trying to 'fix' the y-wing you are just going to end up with a situation where TLT y's are even better than they are now. 

If the objective is to see Y-wings with a bit more variety in terms of load out, the best thing you could probably do is to have what ever fix it is that you propose as a turret slot (similar to how chardaan refit is a missile rather than a title). That would shut down the ability to take it with a TLT. Then depending on what fix you go for, you might see a bit more in the way of torpedos and bombs.

I wasn't aware the Y-Wing was broken?

TLT Y-Wings are incredible point fillers. BTL-A4 allows for double (or triple) tap shooting. R2 and Unhinged help open out their dials. Stressbot is still amazing. Autoblaster turrets work. Torps, Extra Munitions and Guidance Chimps are expensive but effective, especially on the named pilots. Bomb Loadout & Extra Munitions works, and insane fun with Genius. Kavil and Drea are great pilots.

Y-Wings are very usable ships. A few extra named pilots and maybe a generic with Elite Talent for both factions would be nice but that's about it.

16 hours ago, Shenannigan said:

Punisher could be broken

Great line...funniest thing I've read on the forum in weeks, thanks Shenannigan, hahahahaha.

7 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I wasn't aware the Y-Wing was broken?

TLT Y-Wings are incredible point fillers. BTL-A4 allows for double (or triple) tap shooting. R2 and Unhinged help open out their dials. Stressbot is still amazing. Autoblaster turrets work. Torps, Extra Munitions and Guidance Chimps are expensive but effective, especially on the named pilots. Bomb Loadout & Extra Munitions works, and insane fun with Genius. Kavil and Drea are great pilots.

Y-Wings are very usable ships. A few extra named pilots and maybe a generic with Elite Talent for both factions would be nice but that's about it.

This.

Yeah, I love flying some Horton, and he'd be an absolute fun guy with an EPT. I just think TLTs gave the old bird the boost in the wrong direction, those buggers are too easy to staple on 'em and spam. If the TLT mod were Unique, then maybe a Y-wing could rationally get an ability to extra munitions torpedoes or Ion bombs, that would be cool bump. I think some kind of munition assistance is the way to go iconic-ly on the Y.

The poor Punisher needs survive-ability and a price reduction rolled into a Title card (sorry for the bunny trail gents).

Carry on.

1 hour ago, Xerandar said:

More pilots for the Y-Wing would be nice.  Hell I'd even settle for Sabine.

No. That women can keep her hands off my title ship. I'll let Jar Jar Binks fly my ship before I let a meme fly my ship. I'll ask for a Gunboat before Sabine in a Y-wing. Stay away from my ship.