rafcpl6868

Make Porkins Great Again!

Jek Porkins has never been very good in X-wing. So I have proposed a reprint for whenever fantasy flight remembers his sacrifice and wants to do him justice. 

Pilot: Jek Porkins PS7: Standard X-wing stats, Upgrades: Elite, Torpedo, and astromech. When you execute a maneuver you may perform a free slam action and roll 1 attack die. On a critical hit result, suffer two damage. 

Elite Upgrade: "I can hold it" You may perform slam actions while stressed. If you perform a slam action you may receive 2 stress tokens in place of a weapons disabled token. 

Edited by rafcpl6868

Pay no heed to these META-MUMBLERS always trying to tell people what ain't good enough and what has arrived dead... for goodness gracious sakes alive!!!

:rolleyes:

Behold the proof Porky was a BAMF!

mf_emoticon_schoolyou_jedi.gif

_heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif   PORKINS IS DEAD... LONG LIVE PORKINS!!!    _heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif

_heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif REB%2BXWP%2BPORKINS.PNGREB%2BDROID%2BR4%2BD4.pngREB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPORKINS.png _heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

20 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Wait, "again"?

Implying he has ever been great? 

This.

20 hours ago, rafcpl6868 said:

Jek Porkins has never been very good in X-wing. So I have proposed a reprint for whenever fantasy flight remembers his sacrifice and wants to do him justice. 

Pilot: Jek Porkins PS7: Standard X-wing stats, Upgrades: Elite, Torpedo, and astromech. When you execute a maneuver you may perform a free slam action and roll 1 attack die. On a critical hit result, suffer two damage. 

Elite Upgrade: "I can hold it" You may perform slam actions while stressed. If you perform a slam action you may receive 2 stress tokens in place of a weapons disabled token. 

You can't SLAM as a free action, ever.  So this just doesn't work.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

This.

You can't SLAM as a free action, ever.  So this just doesn't work.

Exactly, this makes porkins even more baller. He is an -exception to the rule- pilot like Dash or Tycho

Porkin's should of had Nien Numbs ability and that would of truly made him boss in my opinion. 

Alternatively, having Porkin's ability read "During the activation and shooting phase, you may ignore asteroid tokens. When you overlap a debris token, you take damage on a {hit} and {crit} result."

This reflects his ability to fly close to objects and strafe but also increases his chances of dying to debris, which is what killed him in the film. 

Alternatively, you could represent his ability for close quarters with:

"When you are within range 1 of at least 1 enemy ship, you may re-roll blank attack and defense results."

Not as strong as Boba Fett but still useful for a snubfighter pilot and slightly thematic. 

I found he wasn't top tournament ready, but he wasn't a bad ship otherwise.  If you give him his astromech and use him for the action, there is only an 11% chance that you still have damage on your ship after removing a free stress.  That's not bad at all.  He's better with a Hull Upgrade, but he gets expensive.  Even him with his astromech and PTL gets him a little higher than he's worth.   I would say just a points reduction is great for him.  

49 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I found he wasn't top tournament ready, but he wasn't a bad ship otherwise.  If you give him his astromech and use him for the action, there is only an 11% chance that you still have damage on your ship after removing a free stress.  That's not bad at all.  He's better with a Hull Upgrade, but he gets expensive.  Even him with his astromech and PTL gets him a little higher than he's worth.   I would say just a points reduction is great for him.  

Image result for integrated astromech

5 hours ago, Joe Boss Red Seven said:

Image result for integrated astromech

If you use Integrated Astromech, you do save points, but you lose out on the ability to heal more.  Porkins with his astromech can remove damage from  your hull.  With Hull Upgrade, you get 4 Hull that you can remove damage on.  So...conceivable to run away and heal up completely.  If you take IA, you do save 4 pts, but it's not the same thing.  You save 1 Hull and blast your repair droid forever.  So....he might survive, but can't ever heal. 

My favorite "fix" to Porkins lies in changing R5-D8.  A long time ago, I saw somebody else suggest making the droid read as follows:  "Once per turn, when you remove stress, you may discard one of your facedown damage cards."  This would effectively allow Porkins to negate one stress for free per turn (as long as he doesn't have 1 hit point left anyway).  The droid would be barely ok on other pilots, but fantastic on him, which is appropriate, since R5-D8 was his personal droid in the lore.

I tried playing a game with that version of the droid and it was great.  Not too strong, but respectable enough that it was worth playing him.

Edited by mkevans80

Even if ypu made r5p8 just ACTION remove a facedown (no green dice rng nonsense), it wouldnt be overpowered

It makes it hard to stack defesive actions, unlike r2d2which doesnt cost any action efficiency

And, outside of stuff like porkins or wampa or stuff like thrust control fire, youll have lost shields and will not be able to regen up to max health like r2d2 or r5p9 can allow ships to do

3 hours ago, heychadwick said:

If you use Integrated Astromech, you do save points, but you lose out on the ability to heal more.  Porkins with his astromech can remove damage from  your hull.  With Hull Upgrade, you get 4 Hull that you can remove damage on.  So...conceivable to run away and heal up completely.  If you take IA, you do save 4 pts, but it's not the same thing.  You save 1 Hull and blast your repair droid forever.  So....he might survive, but can't ever heal. 

Oh I know Brah, and I am on board with your way for sure... just say'n there are a few NEW Goodies that can keep Porks around. In fact if X-WING had not become Ace-Wing none of this would matter.

;)

In my very very very happy little world X-WINGS are doing just great!

:lol: