Markspinner

Splitting One Mythos Pack Between Two Players?

I demoed the game to my friend and he loved it.  Currently, I only have one core set, but was wondering, if him and I were the only two players and we each played a different investigator, would it be possible for us to split each Mythos Pack and get the upgrade cards we need for our specific investigators?  Would this limit our deck building at all?  I assume the main issue would be splitting neutral cards.  And deluxe expansions (Dunwich) would be harder to split since they have all the new characters.  Has anyone done this?

Nothing stops you from doing that, obviously, although I'll note that since all investigators can use at least one other classes' cards, you might still run into issues of your Roland needing to borrow his new Seeker card, for instance.

If it works for you, why complain? If it doesn't, the monthly packs are relatively cheap to get another of.

Physically splitting it may be a bit odd, but like Gaffa says it can be doable.  Really though having 1 core set and 1 of each expansion is enough for 2 players, you just might be a bit restricted in which characters you play as.  Keep in mind that your character may "permanently" die / go insane in a longer campaign, so you stocking up to play as Roland may hit a hard wall after 3-4 scenarios, and then you have to switch to someone else.  Missing half your player cards could make things odd when you need to switch characters.  I suppose you could split the cards right down the middle, where each player gets 1 copy of each card, but you'd need a second core set for your friend so you could have 1 of every card each.  I don't really understand why you'd want to split the cards though, as the player cards are useless without encounter cards to go up against.  If it is a cost issue, I'd suggest you just buy the scenarios slower, or pick and choose which ones you want.  Your friend would only be able to play with someone else who buys the sets if you keep all the encounter cards, so I don't know what the benefit is of letting him split the cards with you.  Even if you split the encounters, you'd have difficulty when you need encounter packs from the core and deluxe boxes, so it would be complicated.

Wasn't so much a cost issue as I was wondering how many duplicates would be wasted if him and I each bought all the Mythos packs and were only playing two player games.  For example, after finishing the mini core campaign, we were going to do Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horrors.  Is there enough cards in each pack to justify buying one for each player?  I guess the game goes for the Dunwich Mythos packs.

Is there a rough % that says 50% cards are upgrade/characters cards and the other encounter cards?

Edited by Markspinner

You'll hit a problem with neutral cards, as these can be included in all decks. Id you're happy splitting these 1 each you should be okay with the 1 of each pack. Each pack will be about 50% player cards looking at the product descriptions, but that may change down the line. If you did buy two, you'd have a duplicate set of encounters but then you can both play solo games as well. Don't bother with two Rougarous or Carnivales though, as the only player cards are story rewards so you'll only need one of each.

1 hour ago, Markspinner said:

Wasn't so much a cost issue as I was wondering how many duplicates would be wasted if him and I each bought all the Mythos packs and were only playing two player games.  For example, after finishing the mini core campaign, we were going to do Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horrors.  Is there enough cards in each pack to justify buying one for each player?  I guess the game goes for the Dunwich Mythos packs.

Is there a rough % that says 50% cards are upgrade/characters cards and the other encounter cards?

Rougarou and Carnevale only really have encounter cards.