jacenat

Video reports for the Boardwars.eu VASSAL tournament

22 posts in this topic

I started doing "short" battle reports for some of the games played during the first week of our tournament. You can see the first one here:

There will be at least 2 more for week 1 (audio quality will improve of course).

You can follow the groups here:

http://challonge.com/bweu_2017_winter_eu
http://challonge.com/bweu_2017_winter_us

Thanks for the video!

Terro really did work in the match. The ePirates worked well but the reg ones, not so much

Funny to see R2 make that Cam play instead of Hired Guns. What a spunky little droid!

eJets were solid all around

Edited by frotes
Words
thereisnotry likes this

Quick FYI - Couple of minutes in you talk about Jabba using his "order a hit" ability to make an enemy unit attack, that's been clarified a while back and doens't happen. Jabba only works on friendly mercs

42 minutes ago, beefcake4000 said:

Quick FYI - Couple of minutes in you talk about Jabba using his "order a hit" ability to make an enemy unit attack, that's been clarified a while back and doens't happen. Jabba only works on friendly mercs

Well, technically you can choose an opponent's figure to Order Hit, but because of the "may" in there they don't have to attack or use the movement points.

a1bert likes this

Clarified where and how? As far as I know there is no issue in how it is worded now, because Jabba isn't performing the attack with another figure, and the controller of the figure decides whether to perform the attack like MegaSilver says.

Check the rules forums guys, someone wrote away to ffg and got a clear response on that discussion. The clarification was that by letter of the wording jabba can order an enemy model but it's the one who controls the model who decides who it wil attack or if it will attack at all. So long story short my jabba orders your boba fett to attack, your boba fett says no. 

13 hours ago, jacenat said:

Week 3 coverage continues with a clutch game!

Thanks.  Great summary!  It was a great game, just unfortunate to face off against my partner Jennifer in a tournament!

frotes and jacenat like this

It would have been crazy for me to open the door.  Why would I open the door to let all of his focused+hidden guys shoot me?  Instead, he basically had several figures out of the fight.  Unfortunately for me, he drew On the Lam, which let him open it and attack.

I had initiative in the first round due to devious scheme.  In addition to that, he had more activations, which was a strong advantage.

Overall, it was a good game.  Early patrons was a somewhat risky play by frotes, and I almost was able to kill enough of his guys that he wouldn't really have anything left to finish me off.  It paid off though, as he only had to kill 4 figures to win.  Tools for one, Reflexes for another, a focused/hidden shot for a third (about 50% odds there for killing a pirate), and then that last guy vinto would finish off via Change of Plans. 

This game showed how focus and the hunter cards are extremely powerful and completely drive the game - i.e. I can't open the door or I instantly lose. 

To answer a few of the confused comments during the video:
* I had initiative to start.
* Onar's Get Down ability saved someone once.
* The pirate I ran to the terminal was not in a position to get any shots, so what else would I do with him? Definitely not open the door so he can shoot me with tons of focused guys.

frotes, Cremate and jacenat like this

Yea that door wasn't gonna opened earlier than it did else my pirates were going to swarm in that way. It was difficult for me to penetrate the position DT had so I went with a plan of trading off some of my guys for patron points and possibly pull some of your guys out into LOS. Then I would only needed to kill 4 figures for 20pts then instead of 40.

I had so many guys at 1-2hp, so it could have easily been an extra 20 points on DTs side. But I was aiming to be able to take out just enough figures for 20 kill points before things swung the other way.

jacenat likes this

I did not aim to critique with my commentary. I was just confused on how it played out and about the decision with the door. Thanks for clearing that up Daniel. It was a very technical game to cast and with me being not that good in Skirmish, I was certainly out of my depth on that one :)

6 hours ago, DTDanix said:

This game showed how focus and the hunter cards are extremely powerful and completely drive the game - i.e. I can't open the door or I instantly lose.

I did appreciate how strong the new cards are and they are entertaining for now, but I do wonder if we will get a bit weary of them eventually.

DerBaer likes this

7 hours ago, Cremate said:

I did appreciate how strong the new cards are and they are entertaining for now, but I do wonder if we will get a bit weary of them eventually.

I'm actually very worried about the state of the game at the moment.  It almost seems to come down to who draws the card that lets them one shot their opponent's figures first.  Defense is almost irrelevant at this point, and most things die in one hit.

With the long range of certain figures, you can't open doors with some lists or you lose because any attacks you allow mean you lose figures.  Characters like Jedi Luke make it so you can't even move out anywhere or you open yourself to multiple attacks.  This means it turns into a camp-fest to see who can eek out that shot to kill something first.

DerBaer and Cremate like this

And a single attack takes too long. Each of the seven phases of the attack seems to have 3 timing instances (Before declaring an attack, when declaring an attack, after declaring an attack...), and each timing instance has several cards to play ...

On 25/2/2017 at 8:15 PM, DTDanix said:

This means it turns into a camp-fest to see who can eek out that shot to kill something first.

Which severely handicaps some lists during timed matches and makes some objectives almost insignificant.

Edited by Cremate
DerBaer likes this