Ebak

Your X-Wing pet peeves?

1) Players who do the maneuver before flipping the dial.  2) Players who throw their dice onto the play mat so hard they knock ships around. 3) Players that quit mid game if they lose a ship to a bad (for them) roll. 4) Players that will only play uber meta lists, even in a casual game. 5) Those same players that only play uber meta lists getting mad when they lose.

I play a lot of casual games and i have some friends that will never learn basic stuff. One of them plays regularly, from almost a year, and before almost every game i hear the same question:
"Do the low PS go first or shoot first? Goddamn, i don't remember"

I cringe every time i hear this.

And needing to read the cards every time. I was using this Poe Dameron like 30 times against you, stop reading his pilot card. Just stop.

Rant over.

Edited by Zura

2 minutes ago, daddyguy99 said:

1) Players who do the maneuver before flipping the dial. 2) Players who throw their dice onto the play mat so hard they knock ships around. 3) Players that quit mid game if they lose a ship to a bad (for them) roll. 4) Players that will only play uber meta lists, even in a casual game. 5) Those same players that only play uber meta lists getting mad when they lose.

Yeah, all these are things that annoy me a little too...although I am not ashamed to admit #3 applies to me if the build is based around that ship. A good example is I was playing a U-Wing, Biggs, and Corran build, and in the first exchange Biggs was out of range and Corran took an expertise focused and rerolled Kath Scarlette HLC attack at range 3 through an asteroid. 4 hits...aaaaand no evades youch.

I nearly lost Corran and given that the whole point of the build was to keep Corran from even being attacked via Biggs and Cassian meant I was so close to conceding. Thankfully the opponent and I are really good friends and he advised me to carry on (the same advice I give him and my opponents in similar situations, I am terrible at taking my own advice it seems). I think he's now regretting that move since I went on to win the match without losing Biggs, Cassian, or Corran.

#4....oh so much #4. I just want some nice casual games of X-Wing! I don't give a crap if you're 'preparing for Yavin'. It seems EVERYONE is preparing for something and I just want to have fun with something that is not a meta list.

Edited by Ebak

7 minutes ago, Ebak said:

That's another peeve of mine. :P

No offense intended but I do get annoyed when people be like "I don't like the direction the game is going..."

"Well Einstein, what direction WOULD you like the game to go in?" Is usually my first thought...I get it we're not always going to be fans of new mechanics but it is what it is and we can't stop that conditions are here. I'm personally not bothered by conditions, they are just a means of FFG having extra card text space. Let's be honest there are a few cards that back in the day would be condition cards now.

I guess I should specify that I don't have so much an issue with the mechanics behind condition cards as much as I have an issue with a number of FFG's first implementations of the new game mechanic. Kallus would have been a fine condition. A Score to Settle is also fine. But once you start getting these essay length conditions into the game, its asking for confusion and problems.

Edited by Kdubb

Just now, Kdubb said:

I guess I should specify that I don't have so much an issue with the mechanics behind condition cards as much as I have an issue with a number of their first implementations of the new game mechanic. Kallus would have been a fine condition. A Score to Settle is also fine. But once you start getting these essay length conditions into the game, its asking for confusion and problems.

I think that is a problem with a game that has been around a long time and them wanting to introduce advanced level mechanics and cards in. I mean a lot of the simple cards have already been done.

Just now, Ebak said:

I think that is a problem with a game that has been around a long time and them wanting to introduce advanced level mechanics and cards in. I mean a lot of the simple cards have already been done.

True enough. If that is their prerogative to continue to creep the game into more text heavy mechanics to keep the game moving forward, then so be it. I will say that I don't think the game is totally devoid of simpler options, but it very well could be they see those ideas as just not exciting enough to the veteran player to go through the effort of coming up with them.

As far as pilots go, easy, Biggs. I don't mind to much playing against him (I'm usually TL Homers any-who when I'm Rebel hunting), but I can't bring myself to put him in my Rebel squads because I don't like his mind-bending powers....maybe I'd be a better player if I did.

As far as crew goes, only one, that **** Zuckuss. Isn't he like way under-costed? For goodness sake, FFG whiffed on pricing him.

As far as ships go, easy again, Jumps. That freighter dial is a sick puppy, makes small fighters look Lambda like in comparison.

As far as playing goes....nothing, I'm easy.

1 minute ago, Bojanglez said:

People not deciding which list they are flying until they get to the store and then spend 30-45 minutes poring over cards, their phone app, and sighing heavily.  There are many, many times I could have gotten a game in while someone is still deciding on their list.

There are times I'm sure I could throat-punch them AND they could recover in the amount of time it takes to build a list.

2 minutes ago, Bojanglez said:

There are times I'm sure I could throat-punch them AND they could recover in the amount of time it takes to build a list.

Even worse, when they repeatedly look at your squad while they are assembling their squad. Its like, I dont mind waiting for you to build a squad because maybe some people have a hectic personal life and dont have a lot of time to assemble lists before heading to the shop, but you'd better not take forever to assemble WHILE blatantly looking over my list in hopes of  hard countering it. This happens to me more often than I care to admit, even if I'm just using a "casual list". I've learned over time to never set my squad out in advance for this very reason. 

Just now, BlodVargarna said:

That /7 is -2 points and /D title is 0 points. 

Both are under-costed. /7 should be 1 point. /D should be 2 points. 

While that is your opinion and i respect that, /D barely sees table time as is, that would just be the final nail in the coffin, even if /x7 is adding points to the cost too

high damage omni directional firing, the game mechanics work more like radiation bombs than they do a turret operated by the same pilot running the ship.  I liked the idea of all turrets being mobile arc.  However I'm not opposed to the autoblaster since it has range 1 limitations.  

increasing complexity of the game.  It's bound to happen especially if you keep adding convoluted conditions to game.  It makes me grumble and harrumph!!!

3 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Nah.  /x7 should only give the evade on a 4+ speed maneuver, and /D should fire the primary first.  They're costed fine under those conditions.  The idea was to get Defenders on the table more, not less.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Nah.  /x7 should only give the evade on a 4+ speed maneuver, and /D should fire the primary first.  They're costed fine under those conditions.  The idea was to get Defenders on the table more, not less.

Nah, changing it to a free evade Action should be fine. This makes them vurnerable to stress and bumping. It will become more of a skill based ship.

Specific cards:

Virago costing a point to give the Starviper slots that it should have already had and not doing something cool.

Pilots that need EPT slots that don't have them (Kir Kanos,  Laetin A'shera, etc.)

Game in general:

The ability to have extreme offense or extreme defense without having to be deficient in the other. 

Things that other players do:

People that have enough dice to roll all at once but don't.

People that roll into dice trays that are on their side of the table. The walls of the tray make it hard to see their dice.

People that start moving their dice with around for modification before the original results have a chance to register in my brain. 

When people bump doing a turn but their ship ends up with almost the same facing that it would have if it completed a turn.

12 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Really? I feel like you could reverse the prices and the titles would be just about right (/x7 at 0 and /d at -2).

Edited by WWHSD

2 minutes ago, Sarcon said:

Nah, changing it to a free evade Action should be fine. This makes them vurnerable to stress and bumping. It will become more of a skill based ship.

First, bumping doesn't prevent free actions.  Not even rocks do.  Second, this would allow PTL into a green maneuver.  Too much.  Perhaps denying the evade on an overlap, but IMO that still leaves /x7 too good.

52 minutes ago, Bojanglez said:

People not deciding which list they are flying until they get to the store and then spend 30-45 minutes poring over cards, their phone app, and sighing heavily.  There are many, many times I could have gotten a game in while someone is still deciding on their list.

100% agree. I bring three squads ready to go, even on their pegs. Ready in under 3 minutes. Meanwhile, 20 minutes later Im waiting while they dig through their entire collection digging through dials and ship tokens. If you're going to bring the entire family, at least be organized and know where things are.

Another pet peeve of mine is sloppy play. Their ships start out parrell to board edge, and in three movements they are off by 15 degrees. Then the next move they hard 2 and say "I should be even, do you mind if I adjust?" Really? I know its a casual game, but damn.

Biggest pet peeve of all though is ROLLING THE DICE NEAR THE SHIPS!!!!!!!!!  DONT DO IT!!!!!!

(8:29 mark)

1 hour ago, DagobahDave said:

Slippery play mats.

Not to mention that all the official FFG play mats are slippery and per their Tournament Rules you HAVE to play on them.

1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

My pet peeve is when they release ships with 2 attack.  

If power creep and 2 hard damage mitigation wasn't such a thing so early 1 attack ships won't be out classed. But you are right now if it doesn't have 3 firepower or better it is garbage and no the Garbage will not do.

21 minutes ago, Dwing said:

MistakesWereMade_zpsfikna8qy.jpg

Soooooo wrooooong!!!!

It should have been a Lambda Class Shuttle. FFG it is the one ship from the OT you haven't tapped yet.