Ebak

Your X-Wing pet peeves?

Just a random question I want to pose to the community.

What do you, in particular, find annoying about the game? This can be anything related to the game at all. Maybe a particular mechanic annoys you? Have you been shut down by the same pilot over and over and it got tiring for you? Did the meta grow very stale for you at some point?

It's important to not only acknowledge what we love about this game but also what we dislike.

I have two in particular:

1) I disliked the Triple Scout Meta. As someone who attended and watched a LOT of X-Wing tournaments over the reign of the scouts it got increasingly more tiresome as a TO to see the same build take top table again and again and again. Glad that it's over although Paratani has me a little concerned that another highly dominant list has taken its place.

2) This is a very personal thing so I am going to get some heat for this. I dislike it when people irrationally discount or dislike a ship based on where it came from or what it did. For example, I've seen a few people who say the Ghost is a terrible ship on the basis that it comes from 'that kids show' AKA Star Wars Rebels, same for the TIE Fighter. There was also this with the Quadjumper when it was announced; people commenting that it barely got any screen time and it got blown up. I thought that was a bit of 'double standards much' since the B-Wing was on screen for all of 4 seconds and its big moment was to open its wings...big whoop.

Sloppy play gets me. I always try very hard to announce what's going on and why effects are happening for me as well as trying to make sure both people are on the same page for game flow. Because of this when people don't communicate or try to speed through things it's bothersome.

Taking forever on petty decisions. It happens, all of us sometimes get a situation where we have to think about it for a moment. I cant STAND IT when i face people that spend 1-3 minutes for EVERY SINGLE THING (do i focus...or do i TL?) its so annoying.

Also spending forever trying to bead a line on a ship to say theyre in arc. Once in a blue moon it is actually that hard to tell, most of the time people spend more than 10 seconds doing this its nowhere near my ship to begin with (had one guy at regionals in omaha back in october i think it was opt to not barrelroll because he was positive he was in arc for a longshot proton torp. Wasnt even close, off by like 1 inches, fucker sat there for a good 3 minutes trying to line his stick up to get me in arc even after i called him out for stalling at this point).

Majority of the time if i find myself tossing two ideas around i go for the initial thought if i dont see a solid reason for the other(s) quickly.

1) "Back to dials." Hate it. Don't know why, but that phrase irks me. It's called  the planning phase. I much prefer "Back to planning." I've gotten a lot better over the years with just smiling and letting it go, but it used to drive me crazy.

2) "Soft turn." You can call it a soft-1, soft-2, whatever. Please don't call it a "soft turn". It's a bank, not a turn (at least in this game's terminology).

3) The matter-of-fact way some people correct others' squads with something not too different from "That pilot is garbage, fly this instead." That's never helpful. By the way, all those people asking for help on squads, please, please report how it went for you after you've tried it! We've helped you build it and refine it, so we're invested in the outcome. I just want to know!

Overall, this game is great and I have very few pet peeves that come out often. But one is sloppy play, I actually didn't know some people don't slide their templates all the way in until the other day. When they moved their ship I just kind of looked at him like "What in the shit was that?"

18 red dice, TL+F on most of them, rolling 15 blanks.  This has happened to me twice in my last 10 games.  (Yes, I have reputable witnesses.)  Given that the chance of it happening is is in the tens of thousands, it's a little irksome.

Even more irksome is listening to people talk about how "dice don't matter."  Roll 15 blanks on 18 red dice with modifications, then tell me dice don't matter, @$$hole.

Just now, DeathstarII said:

People complaining about something in a meta and saying "nerf!" Instead of trying ways to fight it (with the exception of deadeye scouts, that erratum was kinda necessary)

An erratum was necessary.  That erratum was terrible.  Should have been (1) JM5Ks up in price by 2 across the board.  (2) Punishing One down to 10 points.  (3) Salvaged Astromech slot taken from JM5K and appended to Punishing One title.

5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

The idea that you have to play the same list 3,000x before you can expect to see results.

I'd go for the opposite: People dropping a list after 1 game of it not doing well. A good in between (maybe 5 games?) is pretty good.

See so many people changing lists over and over and getting frustrated that nothing 'works' for them. They don't gives things a chance/learn to fly a list. That can be 50% of a list working, you knowing how to fly it and how to get the most out of it.

My first peeve is when I play a tournament and my opponent is upset over my squad (I always fly unconventional, fun lists). I may give the impression that I have some crazy hijinks in store with my list ...plus when I bust out Brobots, I get dirty looks.

#2. When my opponent bumps a ship and the ship barely moves one half of a millimeter and he/she adjusts it to a totally new position (2-3MM off) WITHOUT mentioning what happened. Sometimes I miss the first bump and all I see is the "re-adjustment correction". If someone bumps, tips or flings it should acknowledged BEFORE re-touching. When I bump, tip or fling- I always point it out and let my opponent do the readjustment.

The little things aren't so bad anymore like players calling game terms by the wrong name constantly- "evade dice" and "slight turn" used to bug me. 

Edited by dewbie420

I'm already getting a little frustrated with conditions. Not because they are too powerful, but because they are pushing the game in a direction I don't like. I've always felt that this game was simple enough that any kid 8 or older should have no problem grasping it if they gave it some effort. Now, we have cards that requires players to have a really high level of understanding of key phrases to decipher lengthy text walls. And that's just to interpret them correctly. Remembering all the pieces of the condition is perhaps just as troublesome. For example- last night, I'm not sure if a single one of the casual players at our game night who don't frequent the forums really understood how Kylo Ren worked.

It's one thing when you have an upgrade that lets you change an eye to a hit or evade against a specified ship. It's another when you have an upgrade which has you select a ship, then look through your opponents damage deck, then pull out a card, then put it ontop of another card, then shuffle the players deck, then wait until you deal a crit to that specific ship, at which point you ignore their shields due to a key phrase almost no casual player ever sees as critical result is in most players minds synonymous with a face up damage card, and then finally you place that damage card that is sitting on that other card, to that ships pilot card.

Kylo is obviously the biggest headache, but Hux and Rex aren't a piece of cake either. Remembering you can't spend focus on defense with Fanatical Devotion in the heat of the moment is more difficult than you might initially expect as your reflexes are to spend tokens without much thought otherwise, and Rex's clauses between when his ability is working and doesn't work along with when the condition is removed and isn't removed, while easy to grasp, are difficult to keep track of when you have tons of other interactions occurring as well.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

An erratum was necessary. That erratum was terrible. Should have been (1) JM5Ks up in price by 2 across the board. (2) Punishing One down to 10 points. (3) Salvaged Astromech slot taken from JM5K and appended to Punishing One title.

Personally, I think they did screw up on the point costing for the Jumpmaster. That being said, they were limited in what they could do. Adjusting point cost in the errata sets a bad precedent especially since we have had ships get that reduction thanks to a new upgrade. As an A-Wing player I'd be pretty annoyed if they just adjusted the pricing while I am sitting here with an A-Wing that has to give up its missile slot to get a discount and that's all it gets compared to X7 Defenders.

Putting the Salvaged Astromech upgrade on the Punishing One title I think would kill the JumpMaster from competitive play in my opinion. That being said maybe it is what is needed. Testing these changes might show that they are stupid ideas or good ones.

Nerfing deadeye was the only thing I think they could reasonably do without opening the door to more criticism. Besides, let's be honest, who used Deadeye before the Jumps? Maybe a few times, but it wasn't a meta defining card, suddenly this unique combo made it the new hotness.

Ya at a recent Regionals, I had to ask a player to speed up. I waited a few rounds before I said anything. The final straw was when he had to decide between focusing and target locking. I mean honestly. He was very apologetic and said he wished I had told him sooner. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking. Some people just naturally overanalyze, and just need to be reminded. All in all, it's a game and you should be able to fly casual!

Well, judging by Worlds and other tournaments, Jumpmasters still work. Differently, but yeah, they still work. Maybe not Tier 1 anymore.

As for pet peeves. I don't like Lats Razzi. I think it should be once per round. And like said above: always the same meta lists and sloppy people really, really annoy me.

Just now, Kdubb said:

I'm already getting a little frustrated with conditions. Not because they are too powerful, but because they are pushing the game in a direction I don't like.

That's another peeve of mine. :P

No offense intended but I do get annoyed when people be like "I don't like the direction the game is going..."

"Well Einstein, what direction WOULD you like the game to go in?" Is usually my first thought...I get it we're not always going to be fans of new mechanics but it is what it is and we can't stop that conditions are here. I'm personally not bothered by conditions, they are just a means of FFG having extra card text space. Let's be honest there are a few cards that back in the day would be condition cards now.